Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Previa Engine Management Warning Light, Urgent.

OK I'm going to turn this into a Poll to track the results more easily.

PLease add me to the list. My 2001 Previa developed this problem at 35,000 miles, about 15 months ago. An independent garage changed the oxygen sensor which cured the problem for a week and then it came back on again.

PLease add me to the list. My 2001 Previa developed this problem at 35,000 miles, about 15 months ago. An independent garage changed the oxygen sensor which cured the problem for a week and then it came back on again.

You'll find the poll in this thread. Please do add your details, it'll be really interesting to see if we've got a pattern after several people have entered their information.

Tardis.

My dealer has given me a reference number from Toyota for the complaint I registered with them. It is 17 days since the complaint was acknowledged and there has been no progress, I will be chasing them up next week. I strongly advise everyone to complain in writing to their dealer quoting the references in my previous post.

Hi Flyingjetman, my complaint was closed last year (by the dealers and ToyotaGB) when they asked where I bought my Previa and I told them a car supermarket, hence it was imported from Europe (by the UK car supermarket). Since they didn't make profit on the sale of my car, they decided that they wouldn't help with faults or repairs.

Since the cost of this repair was around £700 and I saved £4k on the purchase, this wasn't a bad equation and I certainly wouldn't buy a car from ToyotaGB or their dealers given a choice. The French dealer who I dealt whilst on holiday with was far more helpful, so much for sterotyping. I hope you are more successful than I.

If we can collect enough information to show that there is a design problem here then people will be more successful with such complaints so can everyone please add their details to the poll in this thread.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally had a response from Toyota, went along the lines of not our problem you need to take this up with your dealer in accordance with the acts you quoted to us. So I contacted the dealer again, chased them for some action this week and was informed that they had referred the matter back to Toyota and were waiting for advice. I’ll give them some, get a lawyer because I think this one is going to court!

Finally had a response from Toyota, went along the lines of not our problem you need to take this up with your dealer in accordance with the acts you quoted to us. So I contacted the dealer again, chased them for some action this week and was informed that they had referred the matter back to Toyota and were waiting for advice. I’ll give them some, get a lawyer because I think this one is going to court!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ray,

I just bought my 2001 GLS Previa

Its been Dealer serviced up till now....would the reprogramming have been done as a matter of course?

Does this problem exist across the board? It has 52000 on the clock and I see no documentation of this problem happening in the paperwork I got with the vehicle.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone I'm new to this forum. . I've got an 02 Reg 2.4 litre petrol engine Previa and today the engine management system light came on while i was on my way back from Gatwick Airport full with luggage and my guests. Could anyone please tell me how this 'black electrical tape' fixes the problem, i.e. where to put it on. Sorry I picked up a few threads on using black insulation tape from the discussion board, but couldn't find the source comment.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi everyone I'm new to this forum. . I've got an 02 Reg 2.4 litre petrol engine Previa and today the engine management system light came on while i was on my way back from Gatwick Airport full with luggage and my guests. Could anyone please tell me how this 'black electrical tape' fixes the problem, i.e. where to put it on. Sorry I picked up a few threads on using black insulation tape from the discussion board, but couldn't find the source comment.

Hi, the idea is that you put the black tape over the light so that you can't see it anymore!

I have been posting comments on Tardis's poll (http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=72782&hl=) for this problem. This seems a more appropriate place to continue my saga. My last post, on 3 Dec 2007, was:

"

Guess what, the light came back on again yesterday. Just driving along on a straight level road at about 55mph.

Very odd.

Will wait and see if it goes out again, otherwise a trip to the main dealer.

Cheers, Rob

"

Well, to continue...

My car is a 2002 Previa GS, petrol, manual, 73000 miles, owned and supplied/serviced by the same Toyota main dealer from new.

Took the car to the same dealer today, and fault codes P0420 and P0430 were reported. Apparently this means that the catalytic convertor requires replacement; they quoted me circa £1100 to do this, with no guarantee that this would be a permanent fix for the engine light on problem.

This is exactly the same diagosis as they gave me last September, but then they said a software update may cure the problem, but did not apply it then - it was a case of wait and see what happens. Today I am told that there are no more updates available (I am not aware that any updates have been applied at all). They reset the system so the light would go off. I then asked them to carry out the MOT exhaust emmisions test, and it passed. So why do I need a new catalytic converter, I asked? They said it passed that test because the system had been reset. I have to say I do not understand the logic here at all.

Can anybody explain?

My solution is to leave all alone and see what happens at the MOT in August.

In the meantime, if the light comes on, I will just reset the system by disconnecting the Battery for 30 mins as suggested by hiwasse way back in May 2005.

But is there any issue with disconnecting the Battery, e.g.

- will the alarm go off?

- will the radio stop working (I don't remember getting a pin code for this)?

- anything else?

Incidentally, after the initial shock of being quoted £1100 for what I consider to be a design defect, I contacted Toyota Customer Relations (01737 367600) to see if they would be prepared to cover or at least contribute towards the cost, and they didn't want to know! They said the warranty is for 3 years, and they may consider a claim for the fourth year, but no further.

I look forward to hearing peoples advice and views.

Cheers,

Rob

Rob,

That is the standard response from Toyota CR but you also have consumer rights that state a component should be expected to last a certain amount of time regardless of the warranty period. Most of the problems that I have heard about happen at about the 40K mark, well within the expected lifespan of the component. With your car being relatively high mileage I'm not sure you would be able to argue this point. I have a meeting with Trading Standards next week to discuss my case having already issued my dealer with a letter of 'final notification'. I recommend Googling Trading Standards and phoning the number for your area, they are very helpful. There is a possibility I will be commissioning an independent report on the problem for submission at the small claims court. If anyone is interested in taking on Toyota over this fault please get in touch.

• 2 weeks later...

I just came across this:

"Recalls TSB May 2005: If MIL warning light remains on and Fault Codes PO420 or P0430 can be read off ECU via OBDII port then car needs an ECU software upgrade and a new catalytic converter with a modified cat matrix coating."

This paragraph came from the Honest John website here.

Since this is shown as a recall presumably Toyota would pay for the work. Hope this is useful to those of you who haven't already paid for a new Cat anyway :angry:

Hi

I've just reluctantly become a member of the EML club.

I have a Previa 2.4 registered 2001 and the light came on just after exceeding 40,000 miles which seems about par for the course.

Does anyone have any recommendations on the cheapest place to have it fixed i.e. replacement Catalytic Converter plus four Sensors. So far I have been quoted on average £1500.

I live in Lewisham SE London, any recommendations would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Richard

Hi,

I just contacted Toyota Customer Relations (01737 367600). They have no record of a Recall (they tell me that a Recall is always safety related). They may have issued a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) but this is to advise their dealers that a common problem has arisen and to save their dealers from re-inventing that wheel by carrying out extensive/needless diagnostics.

Customer Relations have confirmed again to me that they would not be prepared to pay compensation.

So it's back to the black sticky tape over the light I'm afarid to say. :angry:

Cheers,

Rob

Rob,

Following my meeting with Trading Standards I will be taking this issue to court. Although Toyota didn’t issue a recall, presumably because it is not a safety issue, they did issue a TSB and are therefore admitting that there is a known fault and that the component is not fit for purpose. The maximum you will have to pay to put this through the small claims court is £108, the likely fee is nearer £40 and well worth the effort in my opinion. :)

Further to my post on Feb 4 2006, 05:32 PM I am delighted to report that my Engine Warning Light went off about a year ago and has been off ever since. :lol: I have no idea why - I am not aware of Toyota doing anything specific. My wife claims it coincided with her driving the car more often and something to do with the woman's touch! :D Any way I hope you all resolve yours as easily. My conclusion of the whole episode is that apart from the irritation there was/is nothing major at fault.

• 3 weeks later...

I've taken great interest in reading this thread and am amazed at how Toyota GB has disgraced its reputation as a reliable, honest and dependable dealer/manufacturer. I suppose it was only a matter of time before ethics and integrity were consigned to the history book entitled, "The honourable way of doing business". Making money/profit now takes precedence.

Shame. I have spent the last 20+ years holding up the torch for Toyota to everyone I ever spoke to about cars telling them what a "great" manufacturer Toyota is(was), how reliable its cars are(were) and how well it treats(treated) its customers...

Why am I hacked off? I have exactly the same problem with my 2001 CDX Previa. Light came on at about 62k for no apparent reason at all.

Its always been serviced well. I've never been a rough driver (being a driving instructor, I have to practice what I preach!), the vehicle only gets driven approx. 5-6k a year as I have two other vehicles (both Toyota, incidentally) and this is used for family outings only.

I don't know, when I'm done lamenting and feeling sad about how good they used to be, I think I might just pop along to see my solicitors and have them make a formal complaint about Toyota charging for something when it knows perfectly well the components are failing due to sub-standard design and material tolerances.

I'll probably lose the case but then again at least the case will became a matter for public record. At least other people will get to hear that Toyota quality and values are on the decline.

Shouldn't have to do this. Toyota should recognise it is letting its customers/supporters down.

Area Application : Europe

Model Name : YARIS, TOYOTA RAV4, AVENSIS VERSO, PICNIC, PREVIA,

TARAGO

Model Code : ALL

Subject : Handling of DTC "P0420/P0430" Case by Models

This service bulletin is to inform you on how to handle "DTC P0420 / P0430" cases for Yaris, Previa /

Tarago, RAV4, Avensis Verso / Picnic.

DESCRIPTION OF PHENOMENON

• Engine MIL ON.

• Code P0420 or P0430 in the engine ECU.

• No influence on driveability or engine performance.

The above Toyota Service Bulletin was issued in May 2005, as you can see it not only affects the Previa but a lot of other models as well. The fact Toyota issued this bulletin proves that they knew there was a problem, yet only last month Toyota GB Customer Services denied any knowledge of it! A faulty batch of catalytic converters fitted to the Toyota range means they are not fit for purpose and under the Sale of Goods Act you can take the retailer to court if this fault occurs within 6 years of purchase. A new cat will cost between £1200-1400, making a claim through the small claims court will cost £60-70 and can be done on-line at https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/csmco2/index.jsp Make sure you read the leaflets, or even better make an appoinment with your local Trading Standards Office. The bulletin goes on to state;

"If, based on the sensor signals, you judge catalyst is not working properly, replace catalyst and not the O2 sensors". NotSoChilled I agree with your sentiments entirely!

My problems are recorded throughout this long and bitter thread.

We have decided that it is time to change the Previa and will not be buying any more Toyotas. I wish you all good luck with a company which has lost touch with maintaining it's reputation.

• 2 weeks later...

I am new to this forum but have read this thread with interest.I have a Previa CDX 2001 from new and it even now has only 35K miles. The MIL came on in March 2006 at only 23K miles. The dealer said it wasn`t a problem and switched it off.Over the next few months it came on and off but has now been permanently on for the past 12 months. It has had and passed two MOTs since (sept 06 and sept 07) but the emmissions test deteriorated and last time it only just passed so I am not optimistic about sept 08.

From this forum it is likely I will need a new cat at next MOT.

It is also clear that this problem is endemic on the 2000-2003 Previa 2.4 petrol models with Auto.

It is clearly a design fault and Toyota should pay.

Good luck with the court action and let us know how you get on.

The paperwork has been processed and I’m now waiting for a hearing date. Don’t wait for the outcome of my case before you all start action. Write to the dealer you bought the car from, explain the problem, tell them you believe it is a manufacturing fault and you want them to make a “permanent and long lasting repair” under the terms of the Sale of Goods Act. When they write back and tell you to get lost, or offer to replace the cat at cost, tell them you will be initiating court action on the grounds that the component was “not fit for purpose” as there is evidence to suggest Toyota were aware of the faulty batch of Cats when they issued the TSB in May 05. You must state that you want them to consider this letter as “notification before final action” and give them 2 weeks to respond before you start court proceedings. Make sure you copy the letter to Toyota GB Customer Services:

Write to us at:

Toyota (GB) PLC

PO Box 814

Portsmouth

PO6 9AY

Toyota GB is aware there is a legal case pending as they have stated they will be supporting my dealer. The more people who threaten to make a claim the better and the more chance there is of Toyota accepting responsibility like a trusted and responsible manufacturer would. I doubt very much if Toyota Japan is aware of what is happening and suspect this initiative is being prompted by Toyota GB to reduce their operating costs and so improve their operating statistics. If I lose you have lost nothing other an hour penning a letter, if I win you will already be well down the very protracted path of getting the problem sorted at their expense not yours.

• 5 months later...
The paperwork has been processed and I’m now waiting for a hearing date. Don’t wait for the outcome of my case before you all start action. Write to the dealer you bought the car from, explain the problem, tell them you believe it is a manufacturing fault and you want them to make a “permanent and long lasting repair” under the terms of the Sale of Goods Act. When they write back and tell you to get lost, or offer to replace the cat at cost, tell them you will be initiating court action on the grounds that the component was “not fit for purpose” as there is evidence to suggest Toyota were aware of the faulty batch of Cats when they issued the TSB in May 05. You must state that you want them to consider this letter as “notification before final action” and give them 2 weeks to respond before you start court proceedings. Make sure you copy the letter to Toyota GB Customer Services:

Write to us at:

Toyota (GB) PLC

PO Box 814

Portsmouth

PO6 9AY

Toyota GB is aware there is a legal case pending as they have stated they will be supporting my dealer. The more people who threaten to make a claim the better and the more chance there is of Toyota accepting responsibility like a trusted and responsible manufacturer would. I doubt very much if Toyota Japan is aware of what is happening and suspect this initiative is being prompted by Toyota GB to reduce their operating costs and so improve their operating statistics. If I lose you have lost nothing other an hour penning a letter, if I win you will already be well down the very protracted path of getting the problem sorted at their expense not yours.

Write to us at:

Toyota (GB) PLC

PO Box 814

Portsmouth

PO6 9AY

Write to us at:

Toyota (GB) PLC

PO Box 814

Portsmouth

PO6 9AY