Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Previa Engine Management Warning Light, Urgent.

my 2000 2.4auto previa eml has started flashing and now have a lack of power as if it is missing, can anybody tell me why this is? my eml had been on for over a year untill it started flashing yesterday

Earlier on in this lengthy topic I posted details of my EML problems and the various attempts to cure it during the 7 years I have owned the car.

About 3 months ago I was surprised to get a call from my local Toyota dealer who told me that my Previa had been recalled. They told me it was to replace the coils. I queried this because it is a rare thing to recall a vehicle that's done 120000 miles and over 7 years old. Paticularly when it's not a safety related issue. Toyota Bromham, Bedfordshire had the car for a day. They fixed what ever they needed to, gave me a loan car, and valeted my car without charging me a penny.

I'm still not sure what exactly they did, but the EML light has been off ever since.

Earlier on in this lengthy topic I posted details of my EML problems and the various attempts to cure it during the 7 years I have owned the car.

About 3 months ago I was surprised to get a call from my local Toyota dealer who told me that my Previa had been recalled. They told me it was to replace the coils. I queried this because it is a rare thing to recall a vehicle that's done 120000 miles and over 7 years old. Paticularly when it's not a safety related issue. Toyota Bromham, Bedfordshire had the car for a day. They fixed what ever they needed to, gave me a loan car, and valeted my car without charging me a penny.

I'm still not sure what exactly they did, but the EML light has been off ever since.

Hi Alan,

I have been suffering from the EML problem for more than a year now and have posted several times in this trail. I even wrote direct to Toyota in Japan, and they passed my letter back to Toyota in the UK who again of course did not want to know. By the way my Previa is Sept 2002, petrol, 81000 miles, mine from new and always serviced at the same Toyota dealer.

I just telephoned Toyota customer services (01737 367600) again! They looked up my registration and said that no recalls were pending. I have never had my car recalled.

I thought I might contact your dealer (Steven Eagell Toyota Ltd, Bronham Garage, Bedford correct?) to find out the details of what needed to be done, so I can quote this to my dealer here in Aberdeen and get the same service. I am particularly interested in getting hold of a Toyota reference number (Technical Service Bulletin?).

Would you mind if I quote your name to your garage?

Thanks,

Rob

We live in New Zealand and have a 2000 Estima 2.4 (so the same as a Previa of a similar age) and the light recently came on. We had trouble with the car when we first got it a year ago (stalling etc, but the light didn't come on). I'd seen that there was a recall that might be relevant so contacted Toyota NZ to check whether it applied to our car before investigating the fault further. They replied that:

" we have investigated your enquiry with Toyota Motor Corporation Japan and can advise the following.

Your vehicle was involved in the range of vehicles the RJ-1503-0 campaign (namely the 2AZ-FE Engine Idle Sensor Control Valve) applied to.

Please note this was not a recall campaign in the Japanese Domestic Market. Vehicles that displayed the symptoms (idling problem, or an engine stall) were repaired under warranty, even if outside the standard warranty period. Again please note that not all vehicles in the range experienced this issue, so a repair is only required in your case if your vehicle is displaying these symptoms."

However, the 'Dog and Lemon Guide' lists all Japanese and UK recalls on their website. According to them the "RJ-1503" campaign relates to the coils!!

Not sure that this has helped, but it may be of interest!

Richard

We live in New Zealand and have a 2000 Estima 2.4 (so the same as a Previa of a similar age) and the light recently came on. We had trouble with the car when we first got it a year ago (stalling etc, but the light didn't come on). I'd seen that there was a recall that might be relevant so contacted Toyota NZ to check whether it applied to our car before investigating the fault further. They replied that:

" we have investigated your enquiry with Toyota Motor Corporation Japan and can advise the following.

Your vehicle was involved in the range of vehicles the RJ-1503-0 campaign (namely the 2AZ-FE Engine Idle Sensor Control Valve) applied to.

Please note this was not a recall campaign in the Japanese Domestic Market. Vehicles that displayed the symptoms (idling problem, or an engine stall) were repaired under warranty, even if outside the standard warranty period. Again please note that not all vehicles in the range experienced this issue, so a repair is only required in your case if your vehicle is displaying these symptoms."

However, the 'Dog and Lemon Guide' lists all Japanese and UK recalls on their website. According to them the "RJ-1503" campaign relates to the coils!!

Not sure that this has helped, but it may be of interest!

Richard

th

thanks richard got in touch with toyota gb this morning and car is going into toyota tomorrow to have coil packs changed free of charge. the recall runs out on 30/08/08 as they have done 90% of the vehicles affected, so i was very lucky otherwise i would have had to pay myself, many thanks again.

thanks richard got in touch with toyota gb this morning and car is going into toyota tomorrow to have coil packs changed free of charge. the recall runs out on 30/08/08 as they have done 90% of the vehicles affected, so i was very lucky otherwise i would have had to pay myself, many thanks again.

Dave,

I guess that your Previa is a UK model of the 'new' shape and from the first year of manufacture 2000. Hence, that is why Toyota customer services said that there were no recalls pending on my car (Sept 2002).

Could you please confirm.

I just want to make sure that I am not missing out on a Toyota funded repair!

Thanks for your help,

Rob

rob, yes my car is a new shape 2001 model, the recall code is rj-1503-0 it is to do with the coil packs which is basically the spark plug cap, if the letters on top are between ja to jk then toyota will change them upto 30/08/08 they will also check the cat censors as failure of the coil packs can damage these censors also hope that has helped you!

rob, yes my car is a new shape 2001 model, the recall code is rj-1503-0 it is to do with the coil packs which is basically the spark plug cap, if the letters on top are between ja to jk then toyota will change them upto 30/08/08 they will also check the cat censors as failure of the coil packs can damage these censors also hope that has helped you!

Thanks Dave, I will take a look tonight.

Is it obvious where these caps are located and where to find the letters on them?

Cheers,

Rob

Thanks Dave, I will take a look tonight.

Is it obvious where these caps are located and where to find the letters on them?

Cheers,

Rob

rob they are under the air fiter on top of the engine, if you were looking straight down on top of the engine you can just see the right side one its about 40 mm square. my car went to toyota this morning they phoned me at 5 and told me that they needed it for another day as the cat censors had also gone they stripped the threads taking them out so aiso needs a new cat, they will cover all costs under waeeanty!!! and i have a courtesy car.

Hi Dave,

Thanks very much for your help - it's easy when you know how!

The coil packs on my Previa say "KC09WA". So the recall is not for my car (confirms what Toyota customer services say).

So I have to continue to live with the EML issue, but who knows, maybe I will get a recall sometime if it comes to light that there is the same issue with the next batch of coil packs.

Cheers,

Rob

• 1 month later...
Hi Dave,

Thanks very much for your help - it's easy when you know how!

The coil packs on my Previa say "KC09WA". So the recall is not for my car (confirms what Toyota customer services say).

So I have to continue to live with the EML issue, but who knows, maybe I will get a recall sometime if it comes to light that there is the same issue with the next batch of coil packs.

Cheers,

Rob

Hi all - I've had my W reg 2000 Previa CDX Petrol Auto for six months now, and my EML has just come on. The car has done 75000 miles and according to the computer was doing around 20 MPG. I recently had to have new rear discs, pads, shoes and caliper set, as the rear near side caliper was binding on, wearing through a set of pads roughly every six weeks. Since the replacement, the EML has come on, but the MPG has risen steadily to 21.7 MPG.

I can't afford to spend another £1000 plus on the car after having shelled out for a mechanic friend of mine to replace the rear brake stuff (only charged me for parts which came to around £200). The car recently got through an MOT no problem, and is now doing much better MPG.

I will take it to a dealer to get their verdict and keep you all posted...

• 2 weeks later...

Mine got through the MOT last month without problem. I just made sure that the EML was out before the test (by disconnecting the Battery for about 30mins). But the light came back on after driving about 30miles.

The car runs fine, as it always has. I slid a piece of card over the EML to block it out (especially annoying at night).

Cheers,

Rob

• 6 months later...

Hi,

I have year 2005 Previa 2.4L Automatic, since new. Now having 39k kms on it and the engine light (+ VCS) came on first time in Feb this year. Light went off as fast as it appeared after a couple of days. Had it checked in next annual service and the reason was temporary out-of-range lambda signal. Now the light came on again...and went off on the next day.

Should I get the sensors and CAT replaced or just ignore the light if it appears? Should I make an official complain to Toyota Finland?

br Jari (from Finland)

• 9 months later...

how to fix it, the anoying engine managment light is to trace the wiring and get it bypassed to somewhere else on your car. I have a Toyota yaris 1.0 GLS and had this problem for 6 months. i had a new after market cat put on rather than a very expensive bosh cat, i also had bank 1 and2 sensors replaced and high octain fuel put in.

None off this worked after the anoying engine light popped up again and again. Toyota told me to take off the Battery cable and put back on, but the same blooody light comes up after few days.

I took my car to Spiros Garage in Park royal, london they traced the wire from the ecu and by;passed it and i have never seen that light come on again and stay on. No, they did'nt take the bulb out, you will see it when you start the car.

thanks to spiros garage fault finding team....

mrstoppings

• 4 weeks later...

If it's a help to anyone with a confirmed P0627 - 'Open Circuit A on Fuel Pump' fault, with associated poor starting and loss of power above 2500 rpm / surging (worst when cold) - We had the dreaded P0627 MIL Code on our 2005 D4-D Previa @ 43k miles - and glad to say that have successfully resolved with replacement of the SCVs with the aforementioned Pump Kit 04221-27011 (2x SCV valves, 1 each red/green connectors), £219.77 Delivered - apparently these modded replacement SCVs are suitable for ALL the D4-D blocks (even though the official Toyota part systems apparently say 'non-applicable' for the Previas... :censor: )

Aitch

• 1 year later...

Hi Guys, genuine denso (like my car has fitted) lambda sensors can be bought for about £70, found a good supplier here.....

http://www.worldcarparts.co.uk/CarParts/tabid/144/ProductID/969/Default.aspx

where I bought one from this week and fitted today to replace my duff lambda, Bank 1 sensor 2 fault. :thumbsup:

my code was P0141 which was bank 1 sensor 2, passenger side post cat sensor malfunction, the heater wire was kaput and £71 later, all is well :yahoo:

• 5 months later...

I HAVE THE SAME FAULT CODE P0627 I READ ABOUT PREVOUS POSTS,PURCHASED SUCTION CONTROL VALVES HAVE YET TO REPLACE THEM,THIS MORNING THE LIGHT WENT OFF AND MY PREVIA WAS RUNNING AS NORMAL,I WAS WONDERING IF THE SCV VALVES CAN WEAR OUT THROUGH WEAR AND TEAR OR COULD CONTAMINATED FUEL CAUSE THE PROBLEM.DOES ANYONE THINK THIS IS POSSIBLE.

• 2 months later...

An up date to my previous posts.

We now have two x reg toyota Previa's, (still love them despite this problem).

They have both had the problem, both been fixed at approximately 40,000 miles.

Guess what, they are on 80,000 miles now and darn light has come on, on both of them within one month of they other.

Good thing is it is not an MOT failure, so will leave well alone, until funds are available to investigate further.

• 1 month later...

Guess what, they are on 80,000 miles now and darn light has come on, on both of them within one month of they other.

Good thing is it is not an MOT failure, so will leave well alone, until funds are available to investigate further.

Hi Pughie

I too have an X reg (2000) Previa GLS VVti auto and it would now be on its 3rd Cat and set of sensors if my local Toyota garage had its way. The first Cat and sensors were replaced in 2005 by the previous owner at 48k miles out of warranty and at a cost of over over £1000. Then at 90k miles the dreaded engine light came on again. Took it to my local garage who replaced one of the sensors but the engine light came on again even on the drive home. Took it back, they wanted to charge me £250 per sensor to replace - didnt even bother asking how much they wanted for a new CAT!! - drove it for another 10k miles and took it to a Toyota garage who instantly said, new CAT, new sensors, the whole lot. Neither garage has actually told me the diagnostic codes so to date I cant actually pin the fault on any specific sensor but I need to now because Im at a stage where I want to sell the car. It makes very little difference to driving the car - in fact its actually quicker, slight drop in MPG and can be sluggish for a few minutes when cold but who is going to buy a car with the engine light on?

Now Im left trying to find a garage around Enfield with a decent diagnostic tool that can actually pinpoint the problem. Shame really as the car has been absolutely faultless for the past 5 years apart from this one defect but there seem to so many forums with so many different models all complaining of same thing - I dont know what new Toyotas are like (and I wont be finding out either after this experience) but there seems to be a definite period within the last decade where Toyota were incapable of producing a vehicle that didnt need its CAT plus sensors changing every 40-50k miles. For a company that purportedly prides itself on quality, a major component fail like that simply isnt good enough.

One last point - I might be wrong but having the engine light on during the new 2012 MOT requirements will be an automatic fail regardless of whether or not it passes the emissions test. There could be a lot of black tape coming off and a lot of bypasses taking place!!

Update: Found an excellent garage who finally know what they're doing. They independently tested each of the sensors and guess what? - none of them are defective. Turns out that its an ECU fault rather than a sensor fault so for all of you out there who are having the same potential sensor problems you might want to check into the ECU before you go spending good money on replacing sensors.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi Pughie

I too have an X reg (2000) Previa GLS VVti auto and it would now be on its 3rd Cat and set of sensors if my local Toyota garage had its way. The first Cat and sensors were replaced in 2005 by the previous owner at 48k miles out of warranty and at a cost of over over £1000. Then at 90k miles the dreaded engine light came on again. Took it to my local garage who replaced one of the sensors but the engine light came on again even on the drive home. Took it back, they wanted to charge me £250 per sensor to replace - didnt even bother asking how much they wanted for a new CAT!! - drove it for another 10k miles and took it to a Toyota garage who instantly said, new CAT, new sensors, the whole lot. Neither garage has actually told me the diagnostic codes so to date I cant actually pin the fault on any specific sensor but I need to now because Im at a stage where I want to sell the car. It makes very little difference to driving the car - in fact its actually quicker, slight drop in MPG and can be sluggish for a few minutes when cold but who is going to buy a car with the engine light on?

Now Im left trying to find a garage around Enfield with a decent diagnostic tool that can actually pinpoint the problem. Shame really as the car has been absolutely faultless for the past 5 years apart from this one defect but there seem to so many forums with so many different models all complaining of same thing - I dont know what new Toyotas are like (and I wont be finding out either after this experience) but there seems to be a definite period within the last decade where Toyota were incapable of producing a vehicle that didnt need its CAT plus sensors changing every 40-50k miles. For a company that purportedly prides itself on quality, a major component fail like that simply isnt good enough.

One last point - I might be wrong but having the engine light on during the new 2012 MOT requirements will be an automatic fail regardless of whether or not it passes the emissions test. There could be a lot of black tape coming off and a lot of bypasses taking place!!

Update: Found an excellent garage who finally know what they're doing. They independently tested each of the sensors and guess what? - none of them are defective. Turns out that its an ECU fault rather than a sensor fault so for all of you out there who are having the same potential sensor problems you might want to check into the ECU before you go spending good money on replacing sensors.

Hello,

I´m afraid my situation is similar the one you describe.

When you suggest to check into the ECU, what kind of operation you mean?, reprograming it?. In that case and if you have done it, can you tell us a seriuos contact to do it?

Thanks in advance for your answer-

• 2 weeks later...

HI EVERYONE I HAVE BEEN KEEPING UP WITH ALL THE POSTS AS MY CAR HAS BEEN DOING THE SAME THING. I HAVE A TOYOTA PREVIA 2.4GLS 8 SEATER. THIS HAS BEEN HAPPING A WHILE AND I TRIED EVERYTHING INCLUDING DISCONNECTING THE Battery THE LIGHT DID GO OFF BUT CAME BACK ON THE NEXT DAY.

WE WENT TO THE TOWN TODAY AND WAS PLAYING UP OVER REV-ING ETC AND THEN ON THE WAY BACK THERE WAS A SLIGHT BURNING SMELL AND WHEN I PUT IT IN FIRST I ACCIDENTLY TOOK MY FOOT OFF THE CLUTCH AND BRACED MYSELF EXPECTING IT TO STALL AND NOTHING HAPPENED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WE THEN COULDNT GET IT TO DO ANYTHING AND YEP YOU GUESSED IT WE GOT A RIDE HOME ON THE BACK OF A TOW TRUCK.

I'M NOT SAYING THIS IS THE ANSWER BUT WE HAVE HAD ALL THE SAME PROBLEMS THAT HAVE BEEN POSTED ON THIS BLOG AND COULDNT FOR LOVE NOR MONEY FIND THE FAULT EVEN AFTER GETTING IT HOOKED UP NUMEROUS TIMES THEN THE CLUTCH GOES!

JUST AN IDEA MAYBE GET IT CHECKED OUT MAYBE ITS ANOTHER COMMON FAULT WITH THESE CARS AND MAYBE THE CLUTCH IS ON THE WAY OUT AND THATS HOW THESE CARS TELL YOU THAT??????????????????????????????

HOPE THIS HELPS SOMEONE.

• 1 year later...

5 years and 5 MOT's and 65,000 miles since last post - now at 105,000 miles and the light still randomly goes on and off :-)

• 1 year later...

Greetings all, I have 2004 Toyota Previa 2.4l Auto and have this engine light come on and using the autel maxiscan ms509. Can someone show me where this 02 sensor is located. Pictures will really help.

The code read by the scanner is P2238 02 sensor positive current control circuit low bank 1 sensor 1

Many thanks

Astro

32bf60aad23e8d10faf7686f8927e26d_zps410a