Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Corolla Engine Advise Needed

mbrijun

Hello,

As an absolute newbie to the Toyota world I would like to ask for an advise.

I am very seriously thinking about getting a Corolla as my new family car. The cars that I can afford are the 2000-2002 range. As far as I have seen they come in 2 engine modifications - 1.4vvti and 1.6vvti. I can see that 1.4vvti is far more common than 1.6.

Is there a big difference between the two engines? I was told by a friend that a smaller engine may result in higher fuel consumption, for a car of Corolla's size.

Also, what are the most important things to look out when choosing a second-hand Corolla?

Thank you for your answers!

Hello,

I am very seriously thinking about getting a Corolla as my new family car. The cars that I can afford are the 2000-2002 range. As far as I have seen they come in 2 engine modifications - 1.4vvti and 1.6vvti. I can see that 1.4vvti is far more common than 1.6.

Is there a big difference between the two engines? I was told by a friend that a smaller engine may result in higher fuel consumption, for a car of Corolla's size.

Also, what are the most important things to look out when choosing a second-hand Corolla?

Hi...I'm no expert either, but I'm sure your friend is on some sort of illegal medication. :) The 1.4 does more mpg than the 1.6, but obivously has slightly less bhp. As for the differences, the 1.6 has more trim levels like GLS where you get CD player and electric sunroof etc. Don't expect an over enthusiastic response on here either, as it seems the 00-02 community is rather small. :(

Hello,

Hi...I'm no expert either, but I'm sure your friend is on some sort of illegal medication. :) The 1.4 does more mpg than the 1.6, but obivously has slightly less bhp. As for the differences, the 1.6 has more trim levels like GLS where you get CD player and electric sunroof etc. Don't expect an over enthusiastic response on here either, as it seems the 00-02 community is rather small. :(

hmmm?

If you are driving like my grandma then the 1.4 is more economic.

If you are driving from normal to fast the 1.4 needs more fuel than the 1.6 because it is pressed more.

If you are driving fast then the 1.4 consumes considerably more than the 1.6.

Both engines are very economic.Corolla with the 1.6 engine is not a fast car but it is one of the fastest 1.6 liter sedans so far.

hi londoner,

i think my friend was referring to the fact that 1.4 corolla migth be a bit underpowered, and that is what is causing high fuel consumption when accelerating. From your experience, do you think that 1.4 is underpowered?

Hello,

It's a bit too early for me to say. Only had it a few days. But going from a 1.3 to the 1.4vvti, it seems alot more responsive. Forgot to take into consideration your driving style.

cheers

Hi londoner,

in BHP the difference between 1.4vvti and 1.6vvti is 96bhp and 110bhp accordingly. What kind of an engine your old 1.3 was? Was it 8V or 16V? Injection?

• 6 months later...

i have a 1.4vvti corolla GS and it averages most of the time when driven 70-80 mph over a 150 mile trip 41/42 mpg

you might find at these speeds the 1.6 is better

but when i consider its all round performance i find the 1.4 corolla a fine car. not snazzy. not quick , but does everything reliably and cost effective.

around town i get around 38-40 average mpg

sometimes driven sedately it goes nearer to 50mpg

it seems to prefer being revved a little and driven as again being slogged along however.

thats my 5p worth

hope it helps

I have a 1.4 vvt-i corolla gls got all the toys on it check oil level has the early vvt-i do suffer oil problems (1.4 1.6 1.8) they burn it like its going out of fashion. Mine was one to suffer this and has had the new short block engine replacement. All was fine till the camshaft failed on the motorway and dropped all 16 valves and killed that engine after just 2000 miles was on way to dealer to have a engine rattle sorted well i now know what it was. Other than that they are good cars pick up is ok for the size of car and dont belive the toyota quoted top speed its a lot more than it stats and it does find its feet quicker 0-60 than toyota say. I just feel it lacks power until you get the vvt-i doing its thing from 3500 rpm upwards. Mpg wise lowest i've had it 33 most 55 but on most runs its doing 45mpg and thats my everyday mpg.

• 2 weeks later...
i have a 1.4vvti corolla GS and it averages most of the time when driven 70-80 mph over a 150 mile trip 41/42 mpg

you might find at these speeds the 1.6 is better

but when i consider its all round performance i find the 1.4 corolla a fine car. not snazzy. not quick , but does everything reliably and cost effective.

around town i get around 38-40 average mpg

sometimes driven sedately it goes nearer to 50mpg

it seems to prefer being revved a little and driven as again being slogged along however.

thats my 5p worth

hope it helps

what ever you buy check the oil consumption and ring toyota uk re HAS THE CAR HAD A NEW SHORT BLOCK if every body did this toyota would have to admit the fault

also if full toyota ser hist then you have a un official 5 yrs 100 k warr confirm this before you buy

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links