Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Engine

b1nda

Hi,

Can somebody please tell me when the Yaris engine breaks in?

Thanks  :thumbsup:

to be safe id wait about 500-1000miles

Well the handbook says to avoid harsh braking for the first 200 miles..but (on the advice of a certain someone ;)) I drove gently for the first 1000 miles and didnt rev her hard or anything, stayed below 3000/at a push 3500 rpm.

The blue has now down over 2100 miles (that's since the beginning of March and I do a 22 mile all round trip to work and puts on the miles) and I can definately say that she began to feel more nippy and powerful after the 1500 mile mark, she feels loosened up now and certainly can move for a 1.3 :thumbsup:

Well the handbook says to avoid harsh braking for the first 200 miles..but (on the advice of a certain someone ;)) I drove gently for the first 1000 miles and didnt rev her hard or anything, stayed below 3000/at a push 3500 rpm.

The blue has now down over 2100 miles (that's since the beginning of March and I do a 22 mile all round trip to work and puts on the miles) and I can definately say that she began to feel more nippy and powerful after the 1500 mile mark, she feels loosened up now and certainly can move for a 1.3  :thumbsup:

For a 1.3 Litre it aint slow.....its quite fast for the engine size

I took it easy for about the first 300-or so miles, but I wasn't given a recommended miles from Farmer & Carlisle.... although when I bought my last Yaris from Listers they told me it was 200.... dunno what they told you....

I think the book says 600 miles/1000km - for the diesel anyhow. I took (or tried to take) it easy for the first 1000.

Checked the odo' today and its due a service just about next weekend. Will have to wait until the middle of next month as that's when it's been booked for.

Glad you're enjoying it!

:thumbsup:

A

It doesn't really need breaking in. Go and enjoy it and if it does break, take it back to Mr T under the three year warranty!

Seriously, just don't keep it at any revs for a long period of time. Sorry to be so vague. Look it up in the manual, that's not much better though!

Just give it a trashing, thats wot the warranty's for :thumbsup:

Basic advice is warm the oil up as you always should. The temp light is for water and when that goes out it does not mean the oil is warm yet.

Then use the full range but don't hang around in air specific rev for miles on end and don't bounce it of the limiter (don't really go about 5000 and I would do this nearer the end run in.

Don't load the engine (5th at 20).

I take it was a joke rosso lol your so funny.

yeah but the warrantly doesn't last forever and trashing it too soon will mean long term damage...... i.e. when there is no longer any warranty and the engine will sound harsh. By all means trash it if you dont care about it and plan to sell soon.

But with my TS i was keeping revs under 3k for the first 500 miles, upped it to 4k (sometimes) till i reached 1000 miles.

I treated it very gently too to let everything bed in for some time. Nor did i drive at a contant speed for too long or put my right foot on the floor.

You don't want to "baby it" by shifting very early or anything. It's more important not to lug the engine, i.e. very slow in a high gear then it is too keep the RPM's below some arbitrary number (other than redline)

You need a little heat and friction and varying of the RPM's in order for the valves to seat properly.

The best advice is probably to tell you just drive "normally" except avoid running the engine for long peroids at the same RPM and stay out of the redline.

As was said though, you don't need us. Just follow your owner's manual.

Modern engines don't need anywhere near as much breaking in as older ones! I remember getting our Daewoo on an R plate and that needed like 2000 miles officially! I guess keeping it at around the 3000rpm mark or below for a month or so can't hurt, depends how many miles a week you do on average i guess!

:thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links