Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Engine Noise/rattle/tap

TS Flea

Hi there...

I just got my Yaris TS back from Toyota.

I had an MOT done and a few other maintenance bits.

These included:

- Mobil1 5W-40 synthetic motor oil

- oil filter

- new air filter

- new spark plugs

- new coolant

On my way home from the dealer I noticed that the engine note had changed... Especially in the lower RPM range. The car sounded more buzzy/raspy. It had lost it's throatyness. Even my girlfriend noticed this.

After reaching home I opened up the hood and found the engine making a tapping/rattling sound at idle. While pulling on the throttle cable the noise was still there. It now sounds like a diesel engine!

What could be wrong?

Could the Mobil1 oil be too thin?

Performance seems to have increased slightly...

I'm a bit worried... :(

All comments appreciated. :thumbsup:

This is a known issue with these motors. I'm glad I got the chance to chime in here before the 10 conspiracy theorists which will no doubt follow and tell you your engine is going to explode, you should go to the dealer and demand it be "fixed" and so forth and so on.

The fact is, these are very good, but just slightly clattery little engines. The general consensus amongst serious people is that the sound you're hearing is the fuel injectors BTW.

I have the exact same engine as your car and mine did that when brand new and it still does to some extent.

I beleive it is normal and I am willing to bet the dealer will not be able to find anything wrong if you ask them to look.

Also, don't worry about the oil. Any type of Mobil 1 isn't going to damage your engine. You should use 5w40 for your Yaris unless you live in a very cold climate, in which case you might use 0w30 in winter.

Hope that helps.

Now for all the people that will tell you to go to the dealer and demand a new engine. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

HI I am a newbie.

Got one of those Import toyota Ipsum 2L Automatic. It had 46K on the clock. After about 100miles I noticed very similar sound that TS Flea has discribed: fine uniform rattle. It is more noticable at idle. Seem to come from the Engine (when listening with the bonnet open).

I have tried to contact the dealer whether to take to a mechanic to check?

Thanks scionic. Reassured me to some extent, but the noise is a bit irritating.

Any more advice and suggetion greatly appreciated.

You'd better get toyota to look at it before it blows up! Only joking scionic! :P

Have you just bought this T-sport...... or have you only noticed the tapping/rattling since its come back from the garage?

My brand new TS did the same and seems to have lessened as the miles have piled on, but not enough in my opinion.

As scionic says, its the injectors making to noise - i asked the same then and had to get it looked at. The mechanic said it was the injectors and completley normal!

He also said you can hear it more in these engines because they are aluminium.

So, nothing to worry about. :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links