Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2004 Brakes Squeaking

woo19771

I've a 2004 Corolla and the brakes keep squeaking. Taken to the dealership and they have said they need to stip them down to inspect etc... and won't do on warranty as this is normal wear and tear. Normal wear and tear? Car only has 11k on clock.

Anyone else had similar problems with brakes squeaking? Anyone any ideas?

According to corolla's manual the brake pads have wear indicator fitted. Once a brake pad wears down it starts making the sqeeking noise, as you have described.

Is it just an occasional squeak or a really harsh squeal? (it's a bit hard to describe the difference on the forum!)

If it's the former then there's probably nothing wrong (I've had this with a couple of Toyotas before - I thought it might be due to brake dust sometimes getting trapped between the pad and the disc but I could be mistaken). Usually it just goes away.

If it's the latter then it should be pretty obvious that the pads are worn - any garage should be able to tell you if that's the case (and most will do it for free!). You can even check them yourself.

I've had exactly the same problem on my 53 CTS pretty much since I bought the thing. I took it back to the dealer who said they could find nothing wrong (suprise, suprise), after driving it in ALL conditions!!!

I only get this noise on light braking - it's OK when the windows are up, but it is annoying with the windows down. Mine is going back into the dealer on Monday for a service and for them to check the brakes again.

Yup, brakes do squeal, the dealer should look at them on warranty so demand they do...since i spend all day cleaning and lubing the brake slides and the squeal coming back (including my own rolla) all i can suggest is using the brakes heavily every now and then to remove any glaze that builds up!!

Hope this helps

Chris

My advice is to get rid of the anti squeal shims, they are a pain in the ***** and seem to actually cause squealing and rattling. Slap loads of copper grease on the pad back and sides and on the guides and the piston surface and refit. That has cured squealing/squeaking every single time for me.

I had a high pitched squeal when braking lightly in traffic on my 2003 Corolla T3, putting a good coat of copper grease on the pads did the trick like Fatslob said above. It never did it after that.

According to corolla's manual the brake pads have wear indicator fitted. Once a brake pad wears down it starts making the sqeeking noise, as you have described.

True..........but only inside(not on both sides of disc)!!!

I've a 2004 Corolla and the brakes keep squeaking.  Taken to the dealership and they have said they need to stip them down to inspect etc... and won't do on warranty as this is normal wear and tear.  Normal wear and tear?  Car only has 11k on clock.

Anyone else had similar problems with brakes squeaking?  Anyone any ideas?

Problem is when there is non-stop squeaking(when you are not braking!) and stops only when you are braking.

There could be problem on brake pads,..........!!!

It happend to me,............suddenly squeaking dissapeard and started to grind!!! :eek:

One brake pad(rear-left wheel; outside one(there is no wear indicator)) "disapeared" .........

..........well, discs and pads were replaced under warranty! :D

....and yes,.........after replacement, they put some cooper lube on brake pads sides......

• 3 months later...

I too have exactly the same problem with my 2002 corolla t-sport. A light squeaking which stops when the brakes are applied. It's been back to the dealers twice and nothing is wrong with the car.....

I have tried the old copper grease trick but it hasn't shifted it and the brake pads have loads left on them. It happens in all weather conditions and seems to be worse when the car is reversing.

sorry i can't be of any help with the problem but it seems you're not alone.

When my TSport was in for service they skimmed & cleaned the disks and used copper grease for the brakes somewhere without me even asking! At least they did something right! I din't even notice a problem, but they said there was a slight vibration and squeek so I didn't complain!

I had problems on my 03 CTS where light to medium strength breaking would produce a real high squeal... A good wash gets rid of it for a while but it always comes back! So i had enough and took it to a local garage where they took the breaks apart and checked that it was the shims thats probably the problem. They fit quite badly and he needed to reshape it to fit it properly. Like others they have lubed up my pad's back and "ear" contacts and around the shim.... It seemed to have IMPROVED it, but squealing is still there. I think its just how it is with the Corolla... I have come to accept it now and as long as the breaking performance is good thats the main thing.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links