Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Foul Odour From Air Conditioning

kevniles

OK - finally trying it.  Now I just realized that I didnt pay enough attention when I removed the pollen filters.  There were 2, one with 2 large filters that almost cover the entire frame, the other with 2 small oblong filters with a large part of the frame just covered in plastic.  Anyone know which goes in first ?

What I do kev to stop initial misting is not to use the recirculating switch until clear...and I only use the recirculate when outside pollution is present ie diesel fumes, smoke etc. <_<

A foul, moldy smell comes out of the A/C vents.  Has been pretty present since I bought the car (2002).   The dealer has treated it several times while under warranty but it comes back quickly.  Anyone had this ?  any tips ? is it actually dangerous (for example if small children in car ) ?  thanks

Wiith the air conditioning it will smell if not used every week for at least 10 mins. its a bacteria build up on the condenser.People will sell you (bombs) that supposedly clean it off. these are only a temporary fix like air freshners. I will now let you into a trade secret.

Get an old kettle(you can use a wallpaper stripper, but it takes longer) and put a tray in the front passengers footwell (INTAKE FOR AIRCON) to catch slpahes and drippers fill the kettle with water and rig the switch to keep boiling. TAKE CAR NOT TO BOIL IT DRY, JUST TOP IT UP AS NEEDED. Start the engine and put the aircon on COLD AND RECIRCULATE, and leave boil for at least 1/2 hour.You will see pools of water underneath the car as the condenser is 'washed' . Once 1/2 hour has passed turn off the kettle and put on aircon to normal (outside intake). This will clear any lingering steam/condensation and hey presto one clean smelling aircon system :D .It also cleans all upholstery and headlining of dog and cigerette smoke smells. I have done this dozens of times to loads of makes and with a very good success rate. Oh nearly forgot, dont forget to blow out the cabin pollen filter and make sure its dry before replacing it. :thumbsup:(Its behind the glove box on the new shape avensis, and to the left behind the clutch pedal on pre new shape avensis!)

Hope this helps,

Nick...............

The condenser is the part behind the front bumper and in front of the radiator, where the gas is condensed to a liquid. The liquid then goes to an expansion device which changes the sate of the liquid; it then evaporates in the EVAPORATOR which is under the glove box, the bit that produces the smell. The smell is caused by condensation evaporating. It isn’t harmful unless you drink the condensation.

A foul, moldy smell comes out of the A/C vents.  Has been pretty present since I bought the car (2002).  The dealer has treated it several times while under warranty but it comes back quickly.  Anyone had this ?  any tips ? is it actually dangerous (for example if small children in car ) ?  thanks

Wiith the air conditioning it will smell if not used every week for at least 10 mins. its a bacteria build up on the condenser.People will sell you (bombs) that supposedly clean it off. these are only a temporary fix like air freshners. I will now let you into a trade secret.

Get an old kettle(you can use a wallpaper stripper, but it takes longer) and put a tray in the front passengers footwell (INTAKE FOR AIRCON) to catch slpahes and drippers fill the kettle with water and rig the switch to keep boiling. TAKE CAR NOT TO BOIL IT DRY, JUST TOP IT UP AS NEEDED. Start the engine and put the aircon on COLD AND RECIRCULATE, and leave boil for at least 1/2 hour.You will see pools of water underneath the car as the condenser is 'washed' . Once 1/2 hour has passed turn off the kettle and put on aircon to normal (outside intake). This will clear any lingering steam/condensation and hey presto one clean smelling aircon system :D .It also cleans all upholstery and headlining of dog and cigerette smoke smells. I have done this dozens of times to loads of makes and with a very good success rate. Oh nearly forgot, dont forget to blow out the cabin pollen filter and make sure its dry before replacing it. :thumbsup:(Its behind the glove box on the new shape avensis, and to the left behind the clutch pedal on pre new shape avensis!)

Hope this helps,

Nick...............

The condenser is the part behind the front bumper and in front of the radiator, where the gas is condensed to a liquid. The liquid then goes to an expansion device which changes the sate of the liquid; it then evaporates in the EVAPORATOR which is under the glove box, the bit that produces the smell. The smell is caused by condensation evaporating. It isn’t harmful unless you drink the condensation.

D'oh!

You are right!

What must you be thinking!

I knew what I meant, just had confusion with my worms.

Must have been a senior moment and so have edited the posts as required.

Age and the effects of alcohol gets to us all in the end.

Sorry for duff info.

Cheers,

Nick........

I want to give this a go but is there an easy way to check that the drain from the evaporator is not blocked - I'd hate the shift the smelly gunk from the evaporator to somewhere inaccessible behind the glove box/dash

I read that it is the MOISTURE left inside the A/C that causes the mold, hence the foul smell - you can get the same smell in house A/C's that are running on idle, after they reach the temperature.

It was recommended to turn OFF the car A/C (but leave the fan running) a few minutes before arriving to your destination to give the A/C a chance to dry off with air flowing thru.

-t

Thanks Nick, but that "trick" of mine stopped the smell for an entire year, if not longer :(

(That is, I sprayed the air intake of the car with Lysol Anti-Mold spray with the fan running at full blast)

-turgut

I want to give this a go but is there an easy way to check that the drain from the evaporator is not blocked - I'd hate the shift the smelly gunk from the evaporator to somewhere inaccessible behind the glove box/dash

I noticed that when I did it, a lot of water started dripping out from under the car almost immediately. Perhaps this is a quick test of a blocked drain - if you dont see dripping within a minute or so of starting the AC/kettle ?

i did the kettle thing today with amazing results, its now freezing even on economy setting, THANKS ALOT.

Excuse my English here guys, but when you say the air-con should be on COLD AND RECIRCULATE do you mean that the AIRCON should be on?

I just wonder then why the water vapour produced by the kettle does not freeze on the evaporator. :ffs:

I just want to try the trick but don't want to do something wrong. Thanks!

temperature control should be set to cold - or if you have climate control 0 degrees - i took out my glove box so the steam could flow freely into the recon air duct . after 15 minutes the water came out of the air con overflow pipe , like i said on economy aircon is now freezing cold.

I'm aggravated to report that the damn stink is back - about 3 weeks after the kettle treatment. I guess I will try the kettle again since its the only thing that did any good at all so far, but I cant see doing it every month from now on.

Any other suggestions ?

Thanks.

I'm aggravated to report that the damn stink is back - about 3 weeks after the kettle treatment.  I guess I will try the kettle again since its the only thing that did any good at all so far, but I cant see doing it every month from now on.

Any other suggestions ?

Thanks.

Yep -- try my method! Lysol Mold Killer, sprayed from the hood (intake seems to be in front of the windshield wipers), while the air is running at full blast -- and outside air is turned on!

-turgut

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks turgut - I am prepared to try anything. I have looked for Lysol "Mold Killing" spray, but dont find it. I only find Lysol "original" spray. Does it say "Mold Killing" on the tin ?

Thanks turgut - I am prepared to try anything.  I have looked for Lysol "Mold Killing" spray, but dont find it.  I only find Lysol "original" spray.  Does it say "Mold Killing" on the tin ?

I found that stuff in The States. (Actually I bet the original Lysol would also work, I believe it also says it kills mold). Apart from that, I bet any kind of mold killer would work. You may however want to make sure it won't bleach car's upholstery - it should say on the package..

-turgut

Thanks turgut - I am prepared to try anything.  I have looked for Lysol "Mold Killing" spray, but dont find it.  I only find Lysol "original" spray.  Does it say "Mold Killing" on the tin ?

Most important after doing the kettle thig is to keep the aircon used regularly. At least once a week for 10-20 mins.

Mine is on all the time and if its cold outside i turn up temp, but leave the aircon on. Best thing is no steaming up if its raining and believe it or not my 1.8 vvti AUTOMATIC returns 30-35mpg around town and early 40's on a run.These figures are worked out properly too, litres in to fill tank right up against mileage covered.

Give it another kettling and see how it goes. All it will cost you is the electric for the kettle and petrol will idling the car.

• 1 year later...

sorry for bumping up such an old thread

its been quite warm today, put my Ac on and it didnt feel cold at all, infact it took about 25mins for it to start getting cold and i was just about reaching home aswell, so something not right, (<---- car spec is on the right )

my AC light is not flashing, its constantly on.

i will try this kettle trick on the weekend

in the meantime, is this still the best trick to do?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links