Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Advice Pleeease :(

Laura G

only thing about chipsaway is its a franchise business

so it depends who you get, one person may be better than the next, BUT i think you have the right to refuse payment until they get it bob on, im sure JJ had that sort of problem?????

The Guy I had was brilliant.... he didnt stop working on the car until -I- was satisfied with it.. :) as of course he wanted me to recommend them to my friends... and I do.. because he was very good :)

Always good to see another Ice Blue around :thumbsup:

When the T3 got scratched (was about 5 inches long right by the petrol cap) MrT charged £250 to fix it, I did ask someone my Dad used to sort it but where it was right near the petrol cap the guy said that the type of paint/mixer he used would gradually be "attacked" by the petrol fumes and that he was telling me that for my own sake, rather then just doing it getting the money and that be that kinda thing.

The scratch on the T3 was similar to yours, it went right down to the metalwork and was nasty..

oh yeah BTW deffo go Gold and join SoTOC, we'll be the two "Ice Blue" members that way :yes:

Well I've had no other quotes yet apart from the £150, Mr T will be paid a visit on Monday (not expecting him to be cheaper!) and I've got a couple of other places on my list too. It's a pain they have to see the car in person though; even though I do shifts the pattern is a bit 9-5 at the mo so it might have to wait another week! <_<

Defo want it done and done well too so am thinking that it's worth forking out rather than risking a dodgy job. Thankfully the scratches are slap-bang in the middle of the door, making it easier (I guess?) for a non-too-fiddly job and smooth result. :)

It just hurts tho, doesn't it - £150 for repairing a carelessly-caused scratch! :censor: I've driven to London for over 2 1/2 years now and never a mark on my old 106 or my Yaris from doing so!! :huh:

Iv got a couple of tiny scratches of slightly less depth... plus some other minor ones... but t-cut and polish won't rid them! There's also about 4 nasty dents (from careless people! :ffs: ) on my car... think im going to get them sorted for JAE.... any idea how much dents cost to fix??

I know a good place near me... it does all the bmx/merc/audi/bentley/aston martin insurance repairs, but the owner knows my girlfriends dad pretty well, so i may have a way in!

I got a lod of minor dents and scrapes done by chipsaway - good thing is thet do a free quote and dont charge if they can get rid

I got a lod of minor dents and scrapes done by chipsaway  - good thing is thet do a free quote and dont charge if they can get rid

Cheers bud... i'll ask for a quote...

Right, have finally got a quote from Mr T for the repair. I went to Octagon Toyota in Bracknell (the nearest one with a bodyshop).

He's either given me a quote that's got mixed up with someone else's, or he's trying to fleece me good and proper!! :censor:

Quick reminder, the scratches are only on the passenger door, they're quite bad (esp two of them) but there's no denting involved.

The quote is for £463.80 altogether, of which £274.40 is for labour, £120.32 is for paint and materials, and VAT is £69.08. This quote was originally given over the phone the day after I took the car to the dealership.

OK, so given that I was told (no surprise) that they would strip and re-paint the whole passenger door, I guess I thought that was reasonable (ish).

Then, today, arrived the printed quote! :eek:

No change in price, but check out this list of the work "required" (bearing in mind that only the passenger door needs looking at):

STRIP & REBUILD NEARSIDE FRONT WING

STRIP & REBUILD NEARSIDE FRONT DOOR

STRIP & REBUILD NEARSIDE REAR WING AND Q PANEL

RENEW NEARSIDE REAR WING AND PANEL STONECHIP PROTECTOR

REPAIRED PANEL PAINTING SCRATCH TO NEARSIDE FRONT DOOR

BLEND ADJACENT PANELS NEARSIDE FRONT WING

BLEND ADJACENT PANELS NEARSIDE WING AND Q PANEL

The bits in bold are what I think need doing. The rest, why?!?!

What do you think? :huh::unsure:

Right, have finally got a quote from Mr T for the repair. I went to Octagon Toyota in Bracknell (the nearest one with a bodyshop).

He's either given me a quote that's got mixed up with someone else's, or he's trying to fleece me good and proper!!  :censor:

Quick reminder, the scratches are only on the passenger door, they're quite bad (esp two of them) but there's no denting involved.

The quote is for £463.80 altogether, of which £274.40 is for labour, £120.32 is for paint and materials, and VAT is £69.08. This quote was originally given over the phone the day after I took the car to the dealership.

OK, so given that I was told (no surprise) that they would strip and re-paint the whole passenger door, I guess I thought that was reasonable (ish).

Then, today, arrived the printed quote!  :eek:

No change in price, but check out this list of the work "required" (bearing in mind that only the passenger door needs looking at):

STRIP & REBUILD NEARSIDE FRONT WING

STRIP & REBUILD NEARSIDE FRONT DOOR

STRIP & REBUILD NEARSIDE REAR WING AND Q PANEL

RENEW NEARSIDE REAR WING AND PANEL STONECHIP PROTECTOR

REPAIRED PANEL PAINTING SCRATCH TO NEARSIDE FRONT DOOR

BLEND ADJACENT PANELS NEARSIDE FRONT WING

BLEND ADJACENT PANELS NEARSIDE WING AND Q PANEL

The bits in bold are what I thing need doing. The rest, why?!?!

What do you think? :huh::unsure:

Just dont even bother with Mr T at all Laura - rip the quote up and take the other one you got, which was wayyy cheaper than that! Theres a big difference between £150 and 463!

Toyota are fleecing you with the goldest of fleeces - leave the fleece on the tree and go elsewhere! :yes:

Just dont even bother with Mr T at all Laura - rip the quote up and take the other one you got, which was wayyy cheaper than that! Theres a big difference between £150 and 463!

You're right, but the work involved is different... ChipsAway will repair the areas affected, Toyota will do the whole door. So I expected Mr T to be more expensive :)

BUT If they take away all that other nonsense with the wings that they've quoted for, surely it'll cost a whole lot less than £463?!

I was thinking I'd rather have a complete respray if it looks better, not for £463 of course but if I can get them to requote for just the door it might be cheaper, cheaper than doing the whole side of the car like they seem to want to do...!!! :blink:

They need to do most of the side of the car cos they need to blend the new paintwork in with the old, would look pretty daft if your front door was brighter than your rear door right?

Saying that, the quote is way OTT, thankfully I have found a very cheap and friendly spray place up my bit! :thumbsup:

Remember this?...

To be honest, I'm not so sure £150 is a lot of money for an invisible repair but that's just me, I suppose. After you get a quote from Mr T you may agree with me!

My Toyota dealer now offers a Chipsaway style repair of paint and interiors. Not needed to sound them out yet but may be worth asking.

I was once quoted £460 for a 6-7 inch scratch from Mr T. Maybe they've changed their policy and prices but I doubt it.

Good Luck!  :thumbsup:

I'm not sure what they're going on about with all those other bits but told you they wouldn't be cheap. Scary prices.

Chipsaway is looking good again, isn't it?

One thought though, Laura. Why not try another Toyota dealer, just out of interest? I realise time is getting on and you want to get it fixed but it'd be fascinating to see if they came up with the same price.

And don't even think of getting a scratched bonnet done by Mr T.

They'd probably want to replace the engine. ;)

When I had my old Yaris T3 (Carlo Blue) about a week after I got it some :censor: scratched the drivers door from and including the handle all the way to the front wing, luckily not scratching that. It was a deep scratch right down to the metal and damaging the door handle, After a few quotes decided to take it to Mr T and he charged me £300 inc VAT after a bit of negotiation to fix it.

The work involved was:

Strip and rebuild drivers door

Repair door handle

Repair scratch in drivers door

Blend front wing

Blend rear panel

Replace Stonechip protectors

Replace door seal

Now I could of got it done alot cheaper but they would only repair the scratch and not respray the section. A couple of other bodyshops would have charged me more. Anyway, hope this provides an example to compare your quote to but like Ryan1985 says, if they are to respray the door, they need to blend the adjacent panels so you never know it's been sprayed. Also, because you have metallic paint this can also increase the cost as it can be difficult to match.

Yarisldc

Thanks for all your replies! :thumbsup:

The idea of blending it all to match I understand, but being no expert I find it hard to fathom why a car that's five months old would have a colour that's hard to match (the colour is still current and there's been little chance for fading) ? Hence why the need to blend it at all?!

It just seems to me like it's unnecessary work :( but as I said I'm no expert!

Maybe I'll give the Toyota garage local to my parents a ring, and see what they can quote.

Yarisldc: it seems that the work you've had done its exactly what I've been quoted for! How much did you manage to get them down from? And isn't Carlo Blue a metallic paint as well? May be useful to go armed with this info ;)

Thanx for all your advice! :group-cuddles:

Hi Laura G

I got them down from £375 after serius negotiations (and a free courtesy car) and yep it's metallic. I would say my scratch was alot worse than yours as it went all the way along the drivers door. Some people might think I paid over the odds for it but they did a fantastic job.

Blending isn't un necessary work as even if you mix the same colour up and spray it, it will look different without this.

From looking at the photo's you posted earlier, has it made a dent in the bodywork or just scratched it?

Thanks

Yarisldc

I got them down from £375 after serius negotiations (and a free courtesy car) and yep it's metallic.  I would say my scratch was alot worse than yours as it went all the way along the drivers door.  Some people might think I paid over the odds for it but they did a fantastic job.

They've offered a free courtesy car already, so can include that in negotiations sadly... but if you started negotiating at £375 that's nearly £100 less already! :o I want it done properly as it's less than six months old... if it was much older I might have done it myself! ;)

Blending isn't un necessary work as even if you mix the same colour up and spray it, it will look different without this.

That's a pity, guess I can't get away without it then.

From looking at the photo's you posted earlier, has it made a dent in the bodywork or just scratched it?

Just scratched, thankfully! It's superficial, despite a couple of them being through several paint layers.

Have you tried another Toyota dealer as Al J suggested earlier as if they work out cheaper you can play them off against each other to get a cheaper price (thats if you wanted Mr T to do it)?

Yarisldc

The blending thing is something that surprised me too when I was told about it. A scratch above a rear wheel on the quarter panel and they have to paint onto an undamaged door to make it look right? Yes, mine was metallic as well.

Apparently it's true but not knowing much about paint, it seemed weird to me!

Have you tried another Toyota dealer as Al J suggested earlier as if they work out cheaper you can play them off against each other to get a cheaper price (thats if you wanted Mr T to do it)?

I haven't had the chance, I'm in work today... I'll phone my parents' local dealer (heading down that way tomorrow/Mon for some quotes from lcoal bodyshops) and see what they can do! I'd be surprised if there was another local Toyota bodyshop because Bracknell seem to serve my entire area - each one I phoned referred me to Bracknell!! :blink:

Try a dealer search on Toyota's site. I found 11 in a 20 mile radius when I typed in 'Bracknell' and 10 in the same radius by typing in 'Weybridge'. :thumbsup:

Try a dealer search on Toyota's site. I found 11 in a 20 mile radius when I typed in 'Bracknell' and 10 in the same radius by typing in 'Weybridge'. :thumbsup:

Thanks, but that's what I did - and when I phoned each one they all told me to go to Bracknell! :wacko:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links