Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Safc2

dj_davo

read so many threads on some other (often over technical) forums :P and there seems to be a constant trend of people saying that using an apexi safc is pointless on rev1 or 2 cars due to ignition and ecu stuff - lots of peeps saying that as fast as you change a fuel setting with the apexi, your ecu changes ignition curve around it - negating the effect.

as a new proud owner of one of these, and becasue i know that quite a few rev1 and 2 owners here use them - what are your thoughts on this? :unsure:

p.s any map settings/tips/help on setting up would be most welcomed. :D :thumbsup:

I know what your saying but havent researched into rev 1's or 2's.

Unlike the Rev 3 the older revisions have a AFM that would be seen as a major problem for a AFC, as it will cancel out anything you try and tell the ECU to do.

does that make sense? :unsure:

aye, makes perfect sense stu, thats the problem :crybaby:

however people like bibbs etc. are running them without any complaints (i dont think they have complaints? :rolleyes: ), so im hoping there is some good news?

bibbs? ;)

ive got one on mine but it hasnt been set up properly (need to go on a rolling road to do that). I've just set it to get leaner progressivly to 7%, definatley not the most optimum set up but its better than running pig rich at 1bar

get leaner towards 7%?

explain?

well my tubbies running at 1bar at full boost at the moment, since the ECU does not map this far it runs the fuel mixture pig rich to protect the engine. Unfortunatley more fuel = lower combustion temperatures = lower power so what I've done is to progressivly lower the air intake reading to a maximum of -7% at about 4000rpm(i think) on the SAFC2. This makes the ECU think that theres only about 93% of the air thats actually coming in and therefore it lowers the amount of fuel delivered to the cylinders - therefore a leaner air-fuel mixture (hotter) and hence more power!

Of course as mentioned above this effect is somewhat countered by automatic ignition timing control etc etc. To really get the best out of the SAFC2 you need to set it up on a dyno where the air-fuel ratio can be monitored constantly. The more you air you "take out", the less fuel is delivered and the more power you gain, up to a limit. If combustion temperatures get too high, detonation will result leading to blown pistons and lots of £££

I think I saw one map off soemone on IMOC where the maximum % was 15%, but theres no way Id go that far without setting it up properly. A max of 7-8% is safe in my opinion for a combination of better fuel economy and power. hope that helps.

hey dj davo.. is there anything that u will use in conjuntion with the safc?

just a fuel cut defender, and grainger valve (set to 15psi) - i havent done these 2 things yet.

ive got an apexi intake and decat pipe already on.

dont plan on any other electronics other than the safc although ive read that an apexi s-itc is a good companion - but i dont fancy buying one though. :o

the SAFC-II is wired into the airflow meter, infact I beleive in these causes it alters thw fueling by altering thw airflow meters signal to "fool" the ecu into changing the fuel mixture!

I would personally NEVER lean out a turbo car without a rolling road and wideband O2 sensor handy!!!! Even a 3S-GTE which run notoiously rich!

I would personally NEVER lean out a  turbo car without a rolling road and wideband O2 sensor handy!!!! Even a 3S-GTE which run notoiously rich!

Wise Words of advice there :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links