Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Corolla To Get Performance / Handling Makeover!

MSC_Kev

Hi all

The Corolla is once again going to blessed with series of modifications, all in time for JAE I hope.

I have a full Koni suspension set on it's way from eBay (god I love that place lol) Just fitted a front strut brace (cheers John) and getting a custom one welded up for the rear.

Performance wise it's finally being treated to having the dastek fitted and setup along with the manifold that's been sitting in my garage for months.

The wheels are coming off and replaced with a nice new shinny set of Rota's, undecided yet to what style.

Once that lot is fitted it should handle extremely well and have a bit more power and acceleration to boot. I will of course having some R/R results to see what difference it's all made.

I'll update the thread as the bits get fitted! :)

Kev :thumbsup:

Dastek piggy back ecu, should improve bhp slightly, more responsive through the rev range and basically setup the car with all the extra's added.

Kev

Cool, how much bhp do you think you will have out of it when its all done?

hmm well I'm aiming for about 130-140 with the addition of cams, dastek and manifold. The Turbo conversion will be back on when funds allow which should take me well past the 250bhp mark, then the real fun begins.

It will pull a lot better and should be very responsive with the dastek and manifold fitted with lighter wheels, which will do me for now :yes:

Kev

The cars looking sweet mate! Cant wait to see the end results!

Im going to have to start spending some money on my wee baby soon.

Cheers :)

You'll be at JAE won't you? I'll be on the TOC stand this year showing the Corolla.

Kev

Kev,

Glad the strut brace is OK. Looks like the rolla will be looking good for JAE - look forward to seeing it.

Cheers :)

You'll be at JAE won't you? I'll be on the TOC stand this year showing the Corolla.

Kev

If thats to me, then yeah, i will be at JAE. Not sure whether coming down on the Friday or the Saturday because of work.

Really looking forward to it! :D

hmm well I'm aiming for about 130-140 with the addition of cams, dastek and manifold

Hi kev is your engine a 4afe? if it is where abouts have you sourced cams from? ive been looking and cant find any for the 4afe (wonder if some from another toyo twin 1.6 16v would fit??) ive also been wondering if theres any improvement to be had out of the head but would rather find this out when its off to fit some different duration cams (i dream of cams, headwork, manifold, mappable management and throttle bodies/old skool 45s)

I have a full Koni suspension set on it's way

:thumbsup: me too hopefully, ive got 30 hours overtime lined up this month which should help a great geal with a set of konis :thumbsup: (best price so far is £379 with £80 for fitting)

keep us updated :thumbsup:

Nice work Kev... I was just wondering is there a limit of power a front wheel drive car can handle, just that I heard somewhere that it was around 250bhp??? I dnt know how true this is, does anybody know? What size wheels u putting on it kev?

cheers

me

Sounds good mate cant wait to see what power you end up with from the 4afe :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Will you have the car finished by santapod? Would like to run my rolla vs your 4afe :D :D

The cams I will be getting will be custom made, I'm currently looking into this with a company and when I know more I'll post some info on ordering and prices as they may knock up some more if people are interested.

The wheels are staying at 17's or possibly 16's depending on weight saving between the two, as for handling power for front wheel cars, I have friends with a Micra Turbo that's pushing over 200bhp from a standard 75bhp so I'm sure my Corolla could handle around 250bhp

Knowlson, I'll have the N/A tuning done by JAE, possibly a few days before hand due to preparing the car in the bodyshop prior to the show. Are you refering to the Jap Show at Santa Pod, if so I can't make that show, but I'm sure we'll have a few battles on the 1/4 mile when I get it all sorted :)

Kev

The cams I will be getting will be custom made, I'm currently looking into this with a company and when I know more I'll post some info on ordering and prices as they may knock up some more if people are interested.

:yes: im def interested, R&D costs could be a bit of a shocker though :wacko:

• 1 month later...

Had a call this evening from the bodyshop to say that they can't fit the Koni Suspension!!! :ffs: :(

I'm going over tomorrow to see exactly what's up, but according to them it's a no go even though the kit is for the corolla 92-97.

Shown here from eBay

The guy who came to fit the shocks works on Rally Car's for a living and say's that the koni's have no legs to fit to the car and in fact mine are welded on the car :ffs: I need to see for myself as the call was rushed and I'll know more tomorrow.

Now I know Koni adjustables aren't straight forward, especially the rears! Does anyone else have them fitted? Any advice?!?!

Kev :wacko:

Kev,

I'm pretty sure the suspension on your Rolla and mine is the same (Koni website quotes identical part numbers for their stuff). To fit the Konis you first have to remove the moving parts from the original strut. I don't have the instructuins but it goes something like this - same for front and back

Remove strut from vehicle and remove top mount and spring

drill small hole in strut leg to release fluid pressure

cut off top of strut (grinder is useful)

remove all original moving parts and drain fluid

You now have an empty strut casing

drill hole in bottom of casing for fixing bolt (should be supplied with kit)

cut down the top of the casing so its just a bit (couple on mm) longer than the insert

insert new insert and fix in place with above mentioned bolt (torque setting should be in instructions but make sure it's tight)

reassemble with spring and top mount

replace on car

get the tracking done.

I didn't do the work on mine but I watched the rears being done and that's about what happened.

Hope it helps mate

John

John, your a star nice one!!!

I'm going over this morning, so I'll let you know how I get on.

Kev :thumbsup:

MSC_Kev

How do you get on with insurrance?

It's just it's insurrance time again with a couple of my vehicles :ffs:

really well actually.

I have used Performance Direct which are representives of Highway insurance which are also involved with Adrian Flux for 5 years now.

Everything insured like for like, ICE valued in excess of 2k

Aged 24 nearly 25

5 years no claims protected

fully comp £400

low excess

Kev

really well actually.

I have used Performance Direct which are representives of Highway insurance which are also involved with Adrian Flux for 5 years now.

Everything insured like for like, ICE valued in excess of 2k

Aged 24 nearly 25

5 years no claims protected

fully comp £400

low excess

Kev

400 quid!!! Thats cheap!!! Soon and you stick a turbo on it mate watch that double :eek: Adrian Flux where the only ones who would insure me on my engine conversion!!

• 3 weeks later...

wohoo finally got someone local to me willing to fit the koni's and all will be done this coming wednesday.

Next will be the E-manage in replacemet of the dastek along with manifold fitting later this month.

later then planned, but does anything ever go to plan with cars lol!

Kev

Had a call this evening from the bodyshop to say that they can't fit the Koni Suspension!!!  :ffs:  :(

I'm going over tomorrow to see exactly what's up, but according to them it's a no go even though the kit is for the corolla 92-97.

Shown here from ebay

The guy who came to fit the shocks works on Rally Car's for a living and say's that the koni's have no legs to fit to the car and in fact mine are welded on the car  :ffs: I need to see for myself as the call was rushed and I'll know more tomorrow.

Now I know Koni adjustables aren't straight forward, especially the rears! Does anyone else have them fitted? Any advice?!?!

Kev  :wacko:

Just read through the issue you were having with the lowing kit, since I have a set of Pi springs on the way.

Looking at what you were sold from the eBay link you posted, was it this item from

europerformance ?

http://europerformance.co.uk/pages/product....mhtml?id=45190

Just I have an AE102 and if these fit then I might cancel the springs and just get a kit.

sorry been too busy with the house move and all.

Once I'm settled in and everything is sorted out I'll be getting them done and will be able to shed some more light on prices and what exactly the high lift cams will be like.

Kev