Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Should I Buy A Paseo?

Humayun

Hey guys, havent been on here for a while but here goes.

I have found a reasonably priced Toyota Paseo that i am considering purchasing. I would like to know the following if possible

Will it be much quicker than my starlet sportif?

How cramped is it in the back?

Are after market parts available?

Also if anyone is interested, i have a 1332cc 4EFE engine with 89k on the clock. It may be of some use to sum1, so please contact me if they are willing to take it off my hands.

thanx for reading people.

Humayun

ill answer in point form:

- it is relatively quicker; 0-60 in 10.8secs, 50-70mph (top gear) in 13secs, top speed 113mph

- it is quite cramped in the back, im 5'6" and i cant sit up straight in the back without touching the screen with my head, though if you slouch its a lot better

- there are parts available but theyre relatively rare, but you can always get help, and the best thing to do is the 4efte transplant anyway

what i like with the paseo is that there's a lot of potential, mainly cause its so light. i mean ok, it doesnt have the stiffest bodyshell, or the most advanced suspension, but stiffening is easy, and there are several suspension components available, and speed wise all you need is the 4efte, as those engines are capable of massive power. and as standard, even though it is basically a reskinned starlet (albeit, with a beautiful coupe body), the handling is miles better than the starlet's mainly cause its got a much lower c.o.g, and its more aerodynamic

Oh yes get one, fit some wider wheels and tyres, keep the revs up and have some fun! The back seat is useless unless you are a kiddie though. Mine was my wifes car, now mine and its really grown on me... for a front drive car the gearbox is very slick too and the engines a peach :D Just make sure you dont pay too much, there are some way overpriced cars out there.

god yes, i drove it today, and it just reminded me how nice the gear box is once it warms up, *snick* *snick* B)

It amazes me that so many other cars gearchanges are so bad compared to the Paseo, its not like its an exotic sports car or anything! Are Starlets just as good?

I think getting a paseo would be a step in the right direction. As people have pointed out, the room in the back is a a downside, it gives whole new meaning to the word shotgun!

I'm gonna hang on to mine for a couple more years I think and then move up to a celica or maybe an Mr2 .

In general, if you want a good, fun car, with lots of potential, good mpg then a paseo is the way forward.

funnily enough, I have thought along the lines of Celica or MR2... but, especially around here there are loads of them, mostly Celicas. The Paseo is so unusual and the economy outstanding.

Thanx for the responses guys, everything is positive so far, im not too worried bout the space in the rear, im not one that takes to having ppl in the back so it shudnt be a problem.

acutally i get shocking economy....supposed to get 40mpg extra urban / 30 mpg urban.....i get around 20 - 24mpg.....strayed to 16mpg once :wacko:

i love mine, can't say how well it drives as i have never driven it. can't wait till i do tho. had the car over 7 mouths and still not running. :censor:

That economy is terrible, if I drive it hard it returns around 35 and on a long run easily 45+, 40 is easily got and mostly it returns above that.

i personally find the gear changes a bit clunky. the ratio is relatively short for a small engined car which helps a little to keeping the pace up around towns and carrigeways etc, but actuall gear selection, i find could be smoother.

the enigne as you know with virtually all jap cars is bombproof, and fuel economy is great (not sure how riko can manage 16mpg).

spend a few hundred £ getting the suspension stiffened and lowered, and the car becomes really "chuckable" too...

overall, i dont think you will be dissapointed if you chose one... test drive it and see how it feels...

well i mean the 'seo has a 10gal tank, and i manage on average 220 - 240mi....and once or twice i struggled to get past 150mi! and no, i dont thrash the car...but yeah, i still dont know why i get such poor economy...might need to clean the a/f sensor or something

meh, when the car's cold the gear box is quite clunky and notchy, but i find when it warms up its quite direct and " snickety " which i like....far better than the gearchange ive tried in any of the cars ive driven (seat leon cupra r, ford focus 1.8 TDi, Vauxhal Corsa C 1.0, Toyota Camry 2.2, Nissan Patrol SGE 4.8, Vauxhall Astra 1.4, MK3 Volkswagen Polo 1.0...)

but yeah, as i said, and mellow reaffirmed, there's a lot of potential with the handling....its a nice lil' car....and i quite like 5th gear for a reason! quite powerful in that gear, though 4th gear is dead

paseos are great. they look good and cheap insurance. the handling is great once lowered. it took me getting to 60 going round a round-a-bout for the back to go out (not advisable again). funny bout the celica thing. thinkin the same. gonna get one cause think the mr2 is getting a little dated now then its onto the supra lol

I get thirty + mpg with my turbo engine, so there is something wrong somewhere with your engine Riko.

You haven't fitted one of these cheap hp mods that confuse the air temp sensor have you?

i take offence to that lol :P

hell no, i would never put that crap on my car, ive loved cars too long to be putting boyracerish **** on them...but i dunno, ive been getting this kinda mileage ever since i got the car

Changing the subject a little. Wot is everyones view on Ecotek valves? I kno some cars do not respond very well to them, does anyone have one? If so what is it like?

BTW got my Paseo ST this morning and am loving every bit of it!!!! Put my white enkei 15's on but the car looks like its on stilts. Thinkin of going for a 45mm drop, this should be sufficient.

One last thing, what is the deal with the parcel shelf in the paseo? Has anyone tried putting 6x9's in or have they just upgraded the standerd ones?

Thanx for reading :thumbsup:

apparently 6x9's are a !Removed! to fit because of the screen, but 6.5" Speakers should fit.

and ecotek valves seem a bit of a hype to me....seriously, how many gimmicks have they made that " swirl the air " for supposedly better economy and more power, the list is endless....baffles that fit in the intake tract, vortex's on filter cones...