Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Corolla Gxi

Humayun

Hello fellow corolla owners!

I have considered purchasing a corolla GXI.

Does anyone have a corolla GXI (1.8 16v) ? If so can they tell me the following;

How quick are they?

Is the fuel consumption poor (bare in mind i only hav a lil 1.3 at da mo, and i only earn a modest £70 a week)

What are they like on general maintenance?

Thanx for ur time ppl. :thumbsup:

Humayun

Hello fellow corolla owners!

I have considered purchasing a corolla GXI.

Does anyone have a corolla GXI (1.8 16v) ? If so can they tell me the following;

How quick are they?

Is the fuel consumption poor (bare in mind i only hav a lil 1.3 at da mo, and i only earn a modest £70 a week)

What are they like on general maintenance?

Thanx for ur time ppl. :thumbsup:

Humayun

Hi - I can tell you pretty much anything about these cars (and have written a few bits and pieces on here before... Anyway, here it goes!

Must make clear they are NOT as quick as the previous Corolla GT's. Quoted 0-60 is 9.5 secs with a top speed of 124mph. BUT don't discount it just yet! Due to the larger displacement (1.8) and different engine type (which isn't as revvy), it does mean it is a lot more tourqey. You don't need to rev it to the sky to get a fair turn of speed from it, which makes it great for everyday driving. It's speed is ample for me really and it will certainly keep up with modern day traffic demands. Again, this is an economy engine (the 7AFE - designated by the F series head). Can't remember what the quoted figures are but they aren't too bad at all (expect around 30-35 mpg around town, 40-45 at motorway cruising.

So long as you get one thats been well looked after and keep it serviced according to its schedule, I can honestly say this is the most reliable car I have ever owned. Apart from my shocks being replaced (due to putting 16" alloys on), the car has not had a single thing go wrong and absolutely never fails to start first turn of the key. My favourite bit is that the things don't rust (a huge problem with older Toyotas - it killed my old Corolla GTi).

If you're looking for the real sports car feel, it's probably not the best choice, but for a decent looking Corolla (with all the trimmings) on a budget, it's superb. If you want to look at some pictures, I have a web page with my car on there. Go to www.yahoo.co.uk then select 'groups'. You will have to register here if you haven't done so already. Search for the 'Performance Corolla' group and log into that. There are GXi pics on there somewhere.

Any other questions, let me know. Cheers.

Just forgot to mention - if you currently have the 1.3 Corolla ('87 to '92 type) which I have also owned, then the GXi will feel monster fast! :D

Thanx for ur responses 'uncle GXI', but ive just put a deposit down on a Paseo ST, its a lovely car, cheaper to insure and cheaper tax/insurance. But as always i have stuck with Toyota, they make the best cars!!!!

Too bad theyre not as fast as the GXI.

I've averaged 36 mpg (yes, I've already converted to Imperial from US) over the past 38,000 miles (I've kept an accurate spreadsheet of every fill up). Get well over 40 mpg on long trips...

I have a question for you, Uncle GXi... I was wondering whether the GXi had shorter gearing than the U.S. 1.8s, so could you tell me the approximate revs in 5th gear at a given spee, say, 60 or 70 mph? At an indicated 60, mine is at 2600 rpm, a hair over 3000 at 70, and just about 3500 at 80.

I've averaged 36 mpg (yes, I've already converted to Imperial from US) over the past 38,000 miles (I've kept an accurate spreadsheet of every fill up).  Get well over 40 mpg on long trips...

I have a question for you, Uncle GXi... I was wondering whether the GXi had shorter gearing than the U.S. 1.8s, so could you tell me the approximate revs in 5th gear at a given spee, say, 60 or 70 mph?  At an indicated 60, mine is at 2600 rpm, a hair over 3000 at 70, and just about 3500 at 80.

I think they are a little different. I'll have to check properly on the way back from work tonight, but I'm pretty sure at 80mph I'm up at around 4200rpm in 5th... I've got the official figures at home too. I'll check these and post them as soon as I get a chance. Cheers.

I've averaged 36 mpg (yes, I've already converted to Imperial from US) over the past 38,000 miles (I've kept an accurate spreadsheet of every fill up).  Get well over 40 mpg on long trips...

I have a question for you, Uncle GXi... I was wondering whether the GXi had shorter gearing than the U.S. 1.8s, so could you tell me the approximate revs in 5th gear at a given spee, say, 60 or 70 mph?  At an indicated 60, mine is at 2600 rpm, a hair over 3000 at 70, and just about 3500 at 80.

I think they are a little different. I'll have to check properly on the way back from work tonight, but I'm pretty sure at 80mph I'm up at around 4200rpm in 5th... I've got the official figures at home too. I'll check these and post them as soon as I get a chance. Cheers.

Had a proper look when on the motorway last night. 80mph = 3900 RPM in 5th.

An excellent car for the money! Mine is a '93 GXi, mint bodywork, FTSH, 76k miles, mint interior and healthy mechanicals. Picked mine up for £1000. They have lots of extras and a nicer interior than later shape Corollas in my opinion.

Look out though for driver's side door lock not working, warped front (& rear) discs, front tracking mis-alignment, slipping clutch and worn anti-roll bar bushes at the rear. Mine is as econonomical as any 1.3 Corolla I've driven (my brother had two Corolla G6s). I get about 300 miles to a 40 litre tank of fairly hard city/dual carriageway driving...

Torquey enough engine but needs to be worked hard from a standstill. Mine is going to get a K&N filter soon to at least hear a bit of grunt :) Handles nicely too. I'd trust it a million times more going into corners than my Glanza and more than my brother's '99 G6.

I bought mine "sold as seen" in March and have since replaced 2 front fog light bulbs (these blow regularly apparently), new front discs (were warped when I bought the car and were only £30 for brand new Unipart items from eBay!!!), new front pads, 2 front tyres (already worn), front tracking done and a service. Oh, my driver's side door lock didn't work either (with the worn and copied keys) but mysteriously started working again just before I was bout to fork out £25 to Toyota for a new genuine key :thumbsup:

There's a couple of small things I'm looking for to bring mine up to A1 condition if anyone can help? Like, 2 pistons for the rear bootlid, an elbow joint for driver's side door (the little black metal/nylon strap that goes from the body to inside the door) and a straight aerial!!!

Hope the info helps and that someone can get me those parts he he ;)