Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Lucida

jic704global

Hello Everyone,

Please can anyone explain the function of Overdrive button on Toyota Lucida.

Thank you

I wasnt sure myself as this previa was the first auto ive ever driven, but what ive noticed is this, it hold it in gear longer when accelerating and also doesnt change down as soon when you lift off the accelerator. Basically, it comes in handy if you wanna give it some! but you use more fuel obviously.

Hello Everyone,

Thank you

Hi - overdrive is similar to 5th gear on a manual car, it's an 'economy' mode button if you like - effective once you're at cruising speeds. Try leaving the car out of overdrive until you get a bit of speed up and are in top gear, then push the button to switch it on - you should find that the revs drop noticeably, hence saving fuel. I leave mine on almost permanantly, only switching it off if I want to hold higher revs to accelerate harder.

yeah, i forgot to say my post was refering to the OD off, if you leave it ON, then it conserves more fuel, switch it OFF and you can drive harder.

• 3 weeks later...
Hello Everyone,

Thank you

think what it does is lengthen the gear ratio or something, turn it off for hills,certainly gives mine more oomph! i drive round normally with it on..but don't quote me, it was my gypo dad that told me!!!!

• 4 months later...
Hello Everyone,

Thank you

Hello

the over drive is to go in all gears,If u off overdrive it will go in 2nd gear and take alot more diesel.

• 7 years later...

Hi folks

Is the overdrive button by the driver's knee?

I am trying to find out what this button is for. It's got a label, but it's in Japanese!

MJC

Usually on vehicles with overdrive, the overdrive button is either on the gearknob or on the end of the gearchange lever

Can anyone please tell me, what is the square yello button that sits all on its own near the driver's knee? Thanks!

A photo may help

I am not able to take a photo at present. I thought that anyone who had a Lucida would know instantly what it was. Its just a square button, that sits all on its own on the dashboard near the driver's right knee. There is nothing else anywhere near it.

Could be an on/off switch for traction control - does it make any lights illuminate on the dash?

With the Estima there are two different versions produced (Northern and Southern) - bit like having a Scottish version and an English version - due to differing weather conditions. The Northern versions have an additional heater - controlled by a switch.

Bear in mind there is only around 630 Lucidas registered in the UK - so responses may be limited.

You may have more success with the Toyota Estima Owners Club - http://www.teoc.ws/

HI Mike and thanks for the reply. No, it does not make any lights come on on the dashboard, but the actual square button itself lights up.

So probably not traction control if there is no dashboard warning to say its off.

May be it is something like an additional heater.

Is the Japanese symbol similar to 'Number 11'?

No it is pictograms, not just two lines, but two complicated looking characters.

Is there somewhere to download a free manual Mike?

OK - not what I thought. Have copied a page from the Toyota Estima Owners Club (the Lucida is actually the 'Toyota Estima Lucida') with some frequently asked questions/answers - http://www.teoc.ws/newbies-looking-for-help/

Think your best bet would be to join the Estima Owners Club (supposed to be free), and ask the question.

Doing a browse on Google, I have found the following question and answer from Australia:

"Hi Peter here from Perth WA I just bought a 94 Lucida turbo diesel, I'm still getting adjusted to it, There is a yellow button right hand side bellow the steeringicon1.png column. Does anybody know what this does? The revs do change and it makes a sound from the exhaust when its switched on. Does it have anything to do with the turbo?"

"Yes it will be the ECT button - maybe the original one failed so previous owner must have fitted a replacement one. It's like a sports mode linked to the transmission via the ECU, so you get a bit of a longer range run before it changes gear from it and when switched off it changes down quicker to save engine rev - not sure but try Toyota Estima owners club they will help"

ECT stands for Electronically Controlled Transmission.

Here it is!

I think we found out what it is now.

It's an extra heater!

But I returned here and am posting a pic in case anyone else Googles for the answer!

post-132277-0-01253200-1371406806_thumb.

'With the Estima there are two different versions produced (Northern and Southern) - bit like having a Scottish version and an English version - due to differing weather conditions. The Northern versions have an additional heater - controlled by a switch.'

So you also know now that it is a 'Northern' Estima Lucida that you have.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links