Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Speed Trap Detectors

RossP

Right, i know of the legality blah blah blah of these things, but which one is best to detect police laser guns? We don't have any gatso etc here, just the laser guns. This is not for me by the way, but for my boss at work

You do get laser-only devices. I have one which I'll sell for £50 inc p&p (I paid £90-odd) because I replaced it with an all-singing, all-dancing Snooper. Better than it sitting gathering dust in the cupboard...

My one is a Blackspot Laser Alert. Info is at www.blackspot.com -> Products -> Laser Alert (couldn't link directly to page :rolleyes: )

Give me a PM if you're/he's interested...

:thumbsup:

Alan

I assume this has to be installed on the dash? Is it possible to install it elsewhere and hardwire it somewhere so it doesn't have to run off ciggie lighter?

Laser detectors are next to useless. A laser speed gun will get a reading in a fraction of a second from when the trigger is pulled. By the time you got a warning and slowed down, it would be too late. Also, the laser beam is very narrow and they aim it at your number plate, so quite often a detector in the windscreen won't even go off.

If you want to defeat laser speed traps, you need a laser jammer. Not strictly illegal, but not totally legal either. But I've heard some of them work quite well. ;)

Any ideas then? Can you recommend any? I know my mates friend had one thing he brought from holland. As he got closer to the police, it started beeping more and more. What are they?

Laser detectors are next to useless. A laser speed gun will get a reading in a fraction of a second from when the trigger is pulled. By the time you got a warning and slowed down, it would be too late. Also, the laser beam is very narrow and they aim it at your number plate, so quite often a detector in the windscreen won't even go off.

I found mine works quite well. Its certainly save my bacon more than once...

Theres quite a lot of detectable scatter from lasers. You can quite easily be hit by a laser beam going through the windows of another car in front of you, or even the scatter from reflections from windows and moving vehicles, not to mention the fact that the beam is detectable from a very long distance. For the copper to get a reading from your car, he has to hit your car, and recieve back a decent quality reflection. All you have to do to detect him is recieve the merest flash of beam, weather its been aimed at your car or not. So you do have a chance, if only slight compared to the old radar detectors.

The laser jammers are usually available from the US quite easily, but if you drive with them always on then everyone within about a 200 metre radius who has a detector will all slam on as they think they're getting tagged!

You can actually use the remote device from an electric gate/garage to deflect the laser... or interfere with it anyway. This is because, as you drive up to your gate/garage a laser/radar beam is sent to your car and your senser deflects it back so that the gates/garage open... if being hit by a police gun, it deflects the beam, giving an innacurate or negative reading!

This may not be the case anymore as police radar guns are getting more and more sophisticated, but the possibilities are there!

I copied across a post a made a few weeks back, this is the best setup you can have for covering all posibilities.

The following equipment will give you the best protection you can have.

1. Road Pilot - click me

IMO the best GPS equipment on the market, has radar upgrade available (legal issues with radar detection now too) good small size and usually can be installed near your dials to give better viewing. large scene for such a small unit with gps digital speedo display. Only bleeps at you near gasto camera's if you going above the limit and gives more advanced warning then the road angel units and doesn't false alarm ever!!. It will show what the speed limit is, what speed you are doing and also distance to camera.

ROAD ANGEL units will only warn you of laser guns and in most cases the warning is too late for you to lower your speed. For Laser protection it's best to buy seperate units such as below.

2. Snooper SLD 920x - click me

review

This will pick up and block all types of laser guns that the police will use to detect motorists, the kind of laser guns used to get yourself. Fitting a pair of these to the front of the car will cover you in almost every case, but a rear set can be fitted to avoid being shot from behind.

*** PLEASE NOT THE ABOVE snooper SLD 920x is not road legal ***

The unit is not illegal to have fitted to the car, only illegal to be used whilst driving, yes you've guessed it a legal loop whole. They come complete with an on and off switch that can located under the dash and switched off in the event of being pulled over.

In most cases the officer will be shown with an error message on the laser gun and you will just carry on driving, lower you speed to within the limit. If the driver is pulled over (very unlikely) switch them off prior to being pulled over and the officer cannot do a thing.

I had a similiar case to you not so long back, sticking the speed limits whilst I was being hassled by another car behind me that caused me to miss a 40 sign and get done by a laser camera for 40 in 30. I know I should have pulled over a let them by, but hindsight is a wonderfull thing.

Kev :thumbsup:

Well believe it or not, I've just found out they only have Radar guns here. Which suits me down to the ground perfectly. Showed my boss info about the cheetah, seems quite impressed, i'm also quite tempted as the police often have their guns out on my way home from work (although it's only a 10 minute journey). Better to be safe than sorry

I used to pay out the bungi for tickets then I spent 260 for my "phaser" no tickets since then ...except, one day I drove without it ... got a ticket .....after two years none!... (jammers work) ( :thumbsup: good)

besides... it is humanly impossible to react to the instant on switching used by laser cops who know how to catch you , which many do get"trained"

see they only turn it on whenever they see someone speeding.. then its just used as proof positive you are caught before your foot gets the impulse from your brain to brake!!!

detectors are a complete waste of money unless you just like the looks of them!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links