Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Annoying Thump

Drew

on a st205 gt4 (94)

when down shifting, or when let off the gas quickly - i get a loud thump/clunk from the rear of the car - sounds like its coming from the rear transfer box

any ideas what it could be?

been suggested to me it could well be the propshaft bearing at the diff end? does this sound right or any other ideas?

took it to a garage and they wanted to strip the prop and driveshafts out to check it all costing me £250 before they even find a problem :eek:

cheers :help:

sounds like the rear diff mounting bush common problem i am told

I wouldn't worry about it, your bound to get noises. I get a clunking sound from my brakes if you tap the peddle too hard. Unless they stop working im not gonna worry. :lol:

I get exactly the same on my ST205GT4, accompanied by a *****. I've seen the thing about the rear diff bush as well - worth trying it. Let me know if you fix it!

I wouldn't let it go because it isn't gonna get any better its only going ot get worse.. people who leave are the people who complain when they have ot pay more to get it fixed.. it will only lead ot further problems. so get it checked now. As for the guy with the brakes its too late when they stop working...even though u will still have some brakes if only a line goes or something but i think thats a pretty dumb way to look at things

The propshaft on the ST205 is split into front, intermediate and rear shafts. The front shaft has two universal joints (UJs). The intermediate has two support bearings (not likely to clunk). The rear shaft has an enclosed unversal joint and a normal one.

Propshaft clunking is normally due to wear in one of the universal joints. Best way to check is to jack the car up onto axel stands, release handbrake and see if there is any play in the joints by trying to rotate the shaft either side of the joints in opposite directions. There should be no movement, except in the same direction.

If there is movement, or one of the universal joints does clunk, time for a replacement. The propshaft can be removed quite easily - about 30 minute. Changing a normal universal joint should take no longer than an hour (although they can sometimes be a pain!!!).

Start to finish for one joint change - 3 hours max or £240 at £80 per hour + plus parts and VAT.

Note 1: This is the sort of task that any garage could do -even Halfords.

Note 2: If a Toyota garage follows the Toyota repair manual the task will take about a day and cost a fortune. Be specific about what needs checking and/or changing.

Note 3: The rear drive shaft have two constant velocity joints (CJs). The same check can be applied to these as to the propshaft universal joints.

Note 4: Any garage stating that they need to remove propshafts or drive shafts to check out possible joint wear needs to get a mechanic who knows what a car looks like. Sounds like a rip-off merchant (aren't they all?).

If its not the UJs or the CJs - it may well be expensive.

:thumbsup:

3 hours max or £240 at £80 per hour

Yikes thats some labour rate......

Dan

• 3 weeks later...

hi

took it in today - and found out its the rear diff bush

any1 know how hard these are to fit, could i do it myself, or it need special tools etc?

cheers again

hi

took it in today - and found out its the rear diff bush

any1 know how hard these are to fit, could i do it myself, or it need special tools etc?

cheers again

Removal & Refitting of rear diff is quite easy. No special tools required.

HOWEVER - The diff is supported at 5 points. The rear bush should be easy to change as it is a bracket assembly. The forward four bushes may need a press to remove/fit. Also, there are two bushes on the (upper) cross member, which the forward four bolts attach to. Did the garage specify which bush(es) were loose.

To remove/refit diff:

jack car and place on stands

Mark drive shafts (x2) & undo nuts/bolts - support shafts

Drop cross member (4 bolts)

Mark propshaft & undo nuts bolts - support shaft

Support diff with a jack

Remove rear bracket bolts (x2)

Remove forward bolts (x4)

Lower diff.

Raise diff

Install forward bolts (x4 to 76 ft.lbf)

Install rear bolts (x2 to 108ft.lbf)

Connet propshaft (align marks) & bolts (x4 to 54 ft.lbf)

Install cross member & bolts (x4 to 53 ft.lbf)

Connect drive shafts (align marks) & bolts (x8 to 41 ft.lbf)

Check diff oil level (plug on rear face - left of rear bracket)

Remove stands and lower off jacks.

Please post if the bushes on the upper cross member are the culprit.

:hokus-pokus:

HOWEVER - The diff is supported at 5 points.  The rear bush should be easy to change as it is a bracket assembly.  The forward four bushes may need a press to remove/fit.  Also, there are two bushes on the (upper) cross member, which the forward four bolts attach to.  Did the garage specify which bush(es) were loose.

they said it was the big main one at the rear, i never really looked under the car myself yet

• 4 weeks later...

ok - finally had a look under today - and its this bush ..... (rear one)

diff_bush.jpg

jas147 - i still have the pages u sent me, so gunna have a bash when i get a new bush sorted - but does any1 know a toyota part number and price for them?

looked on fensport and they do one for ..... Genuine Toyota Rear Differential - Rear Mount - Standard £109.00 +vat

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links