Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Bump Strips

cmarshall

Hi has any one removed or colour coded there bump strips. I got the black plastic strips all round my t sport :angry: and would rather they wern't there. Are they easy to remove or will it cost loads? Cheers guys :thumbsup:

I have the same and worse, (big as black front an rear) although i've been told the protector strips you're referring to simply come off.. Although i haven't tried....

I wouldn't expect them to be glued, clipped on with pins maybe, which means smoothing and spraying if I want them off. What a stupid optional extra :censor: are you going to get yours removed or colour coded

Im thinking about getting mines smoothed and painted because most people i know have had them colour coded and i like to be different :P . I say get them smoothed, bit more of a challenge too.

I think the side mouldings are just glued on! :thumbsup:

But if you pull them off and you mash your car up don't blame me! :P

And if the glue isn't coming off easy a bit of petrol should help. :)

Cheers a challenge for the weekend, I wish I took mechanical instead of electronic now lol :bookworm:

The black strips at each corner and along the doors, you mean? They are self adhesive and before fitting, the back of them has a piece of like waxed paper on them. That is pulled off to reveal the sticky stuff and they are simply pressed in place.

I know this because my last Yaris had them and the bodyshop ordered new ones when my damaged offside rear quarter panel was replaced.

Never removed one though. I'd imagine some dental floss and a hairdryer might be a way to remove them (like when debadging).

Can't guarantee what the paint will be like under them though or whether it will still match the rest of your car.

Parked up next to a phase two t-sport the other day and it had colou coded bumper strips on every corner - didnt look good.

I had a close look (being careful not to draw too much attention) - they seemed to semi-recessed into the bumper itself. I may be wrong. What I thought was weird is that I know Kimis is a Phase 2 and I'm sure she doesnt have them?

They're not as standard on any Yaris I dont think, but available as an optional extra. I've never had them on either of my Yarii. never felt the need to although admittedly they do come in handy because with them, people dont knock your paintwork!

I think the phase2 has the colour coded strips on each corner of the bumpers not on the side. I had a look this morning and they are held on with a sticky foam pad, so they will come off easy but probably leave half the pad on :angry:

This might sound long but i'm take mine off with the dental/hairdryer combo.

Use a little t-cut underneath to get it all clean looking

Then under a spotlight at different angles i wanna see if you can notice there was something there before i.e. the bump strips.

If it looks a bit dodgy then i will put some new ones on!

Yes i'm crazy

They're not as standard on any Yaris I dont think, but available as an optional extra. I've never had them on either of my Yarii. never felt the need to although admittedly they do come in handy because with them, people dont knock your paintwork!

On the downside they look really anal!

Half the reason i chose my car over the other Yarii at the garage was because there were no bump guards on them! The T-Sport really isn't a car to have bump guards on in my opinion, they spoils the nice clean lines of the car! :wacko:

I just took them all off in 10 mins during my lunch break :thumbsup: it was so easy just used a plastic ruler and they peeled off, the paint was intact I just need to get it home and cleaned. I would recommend it - BIG IMPROVEMENT :P

• 4 years later...

do they actually work at stopping car doors opening on the car or are they a waste of time? if its the later im removing mine too as im not too keen but if they work i'll keep them on

do they actually work at stopping car doors opening on the car or are they a waste of time? if its the later im removing mine too as im not too keen but if they work i'll keep them on

Well it depends on what height and shape the other car is! I personally wish I had colour coded ones... Sure it looks less sexy, but a dent looks even worse. My heart skips a beat every time I come back to the car park.

I think theyre just glued on? Dont take my word for it but if they are its easy to get them off.

Thin metal wire and sticky stuff remover (or WD40). Just takes a bt of bravery and time so dont rush. I wouldnt use petrol to remove the leftover adhesive after cutting the strips off though because it oxidises paint. This method worked on a fiesta anyway.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links