Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Malfunction Indicator Lamp

Lenry

I'm driving along to day back from London, when that MIL.GIF orange MIL comes on.

I'm wondering what is the most likely cause of this, the engine has no Mods nothing has been touched on the car.

Does it just come on because it's does for a service or is it more serious.

I think i know what a lot of you Guys/Gals are going to say "Take it to MR T just to be sure" As I’ve still got a warranty on the car.

But is there any thing I can check for my self.

The yaris manual says it's a malfunction indicator lamp, and to take the vehicle to any authorized toyota dealer or repairer.

So it could be anything

Not long after I had my header and pulley fitted I nipped out to wash the car. As usual took the car for a quick warm up and when I was putting it in the garage the engine strarted to labour and then that light came on.

Huge panic. Started racking my brains as to what mod may have caused isse etc. Finally called Kevin at Envy who pointed out that the engine management system is a computer. What do you do when computers play up? - You re-boot.

Soooo - took Battery terminals off, waited 15 mins and then reconnected. No warning inidcator and I gradually calmed down.

I still dont know if a mod caused a sensor error or I simply got somethin wet when washing the car, but I'd give this a go if I were you.

If it comes on again after you've done this - go straight to MrT and dont take any nonsense. They should be able to tell you exactly what the warning code means.

Yes.. try what clarky said, re-boot the system. If the lightcomes back on, take the car to a mechanic (Mr.T, is agood choice as the car is still under warranty) and get it put on a code reader, could be any one of a number of possible problems.

Thanks for the advice, I'll try rebooting my computer.

Will it state that I've done an inpropper shutdown and that it need to do a scandisk.

or are toyota's not a face-ty as windows :D

Not if your head is in the engine bay and the cars in the garage...

Done that one! My ears were ringing for ages afterwards!

The spark that jumps from Battery to negative was pretty cool though!

Thanks for the advice, I'll try rebooting my computer.

Will it state that I've done an inpropper shutdown and that it need to do a scandisk.

or are toyota's not a face-ty as windows  :D

Just watch out you don't get the blue screen of death! Ooh scary! :fear:

Rich had one of those lights come on in his 206 when we were coming back from Lincoln..... we pulled over to check it out and it just said "Take to Peugeot as soon as you can" but a few days later he started the car and realised it had gone.....

Never figured out what it was! :rolleyes:

It works on a 2 trip system. it finds a fault and tells you, then when youve switched it on 2 more times if it goes off then its sorted itself out but if it stays go to the dealer if you get what im saying! :thumbsup:

It may come back if you reset the computer as it has wiped the original code so when it finds the fault again it will come back on

I had this on my car the other week.

I installed a new K&N Typhoon Induction Kit .............

image000.jpg

After 40 miles ......... the same light came on !!

The book also says ..... "take it to you dealer" ... but that's pants.

I figured out what it was .......... the Air Sensor on the kit was dirty ........ therefore the engine did not know how much air was coming in, then having an adverse affect on the fuel intake ..... and so "bling! the light comes on .......

It's all fixed now ............ check your air sensor .... possibly ?

all it means is something has upset the ECU so in stead of it going blue screen of death, locking you in the car and filling it with poison gas. It just turns to a saftey program, will increase your fuel ussage a bit and possably idling speed, you might lose a bit of power as well. personaly i don't think it's anything to get too worried about.

I though ecu kept a log of the last few error codes even if it is reset. worth a try tho.

I though ecu kept a log of the last few error codes even if it is reset. worth a try tho.

if you reset your ecu your wiping all the codes from it, so they will come back.

Yeah mate, directly behind your big airbox, 1 of they plugs back there, I'll really need to get a photo of my proper dirty engine up but if you can get one up, I'll show you! :thumbsup:

Bugger me Lenry, if you have that engine in your Yaris, Mucho respecto! :P That's a Celica engine if i'm not mistaken, so that piccy won't really help

MIL.GIF

I had this in my 106... know it's a different manufacturer but I htink it means the same thing... as DA saw with her man's 206 it means get it to a dealer to be looked at ASAP!

I took my 106 to a Peugeot dealer and they looked at it and said not to worry, it happens a lot and the worst it seemed to mean in my case was a bit of damp in the engine. :blink:

It then started coming on a lot, and the engine started misfiring, to the point that one day I had to drive to 20-odd miles to work at about 40mph max cos I was worried it was going to conk out on me!!

I just got rid of the car in the end and bought a Yaris... :thumbsup:

Hope Toyota are more useful than Peugeot (a given I reckon), but I would take it to them to put your mind at rest! :)

MIL.GIF

I had this in my 106... know it's a different manufacturer but I htink it means the same thing... as DA saw with her man's 206 it means get it to a dealer to be looked at ASAP!

I took my 106 to a Peugeot dealer and they looked at it and said not to worry, it happens a lot and the worst it seemed to mean in my case was a bit of damp in the engine. :blink:

It then started coming on a lot, and the engine started misfiring, to the point that one day I had to drive to 20-odd miles to work at about 40mph max cos I was worried it was going to conk out on me!!

I just got rid of the car in the end and bought a Yaris... :thumbsup:

Hope Toyota are more useful than Peugeot (a given I reckon), but I would take it to them to put your mind at rest! :)

OMG! Richs 206 misfires too! Thing is, its so bad, we cant even sell it now because we are too honest to sell a duff car! :rolleyes: So we are stuck with a crappy Peugeot 206 with an engine malfunction, misfire and a pink stain on the back seat!

Thanks heavens at least I have a good car! :yes:

What did Peugeot say about the misfire Laura? They told Rich that in their eyes "the car did not have a problem" :rolleyes: It blatantly does have a problem though but because it doesnt register on the ECU Peugeot cant find a problem with it.....

I'll never ever buy a Peugeot now, not even if my life depended on it! :rolleyes:

This is a patchwork of my Engine Taken with my SE K700i.

Please can some one point out the Air Intake Sensor.

My_Engine.jpg

I think I've found the problem.

My rear Fog light and 3rd Brake Light are not working.

Would the MIL come on just because a light or two has blown?

Or is it more serious like a fuse. If so where are the fuses for the rear lights?

I got stung be a stinging nettle getting out of the Yaris tonight, what is the point of them. !Removed! Nettles. :blink:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links