Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Brand New To Owning An Mr2 Turbo

markfla1

I think it depends on whether you wanna spend your money on performance or looks (or a mix of both). I think there was a poll a while ago in the Generals section. Anyway it just comes down to taste. Some people don't really care about tuning the car they just want it to look good according to their individual taste. Others, myself included, would like to get inside the car and tune it from the engine bay outwards.

The MR2 is unique in that it has an exotic look to it AND has performance aswell. Whereas most other cars are at the extremes (performance car that looks like a family saloon or a sleek coupe that performs like a penguin) I'm sure you can think of many examples... I think its because of this duality that we have a variety of tastes depending on how we view our MR2s

woohooo, i wasnt shot down in flames...

wheres the individuality in looking stock, well imho it doesnt matter what your mr2 looks like when its going flipping fast does it...

take me with a pinch of salt fella's, i'm just having a laugh but there are some truths in what I posted - but yeah - it depends where you are coming from, either tuning the car or enhancin the looks.

But I would still tune it first before I put and thing on it, because you dont want it to negate the aerodynamics, so a body kit has to 'work' if you intend to tune, or the increase will have you back to stock power inless the wind is behind you.

also, someone mentioned the mk1's which are kitted look outdated, yup, but the stock ones look the business, thats because toyota paid a lot of money to ensure a classic design was created whereas body kits tends to be designed concepts copied from various other applications and thats why they dont age well, the dont 'flow' with the rest of the car, some do - but to a degree. I mean can you actualy say, 100% in all honesty, hand om heart and all that, that every angle and curve of your favourite body kit is better and will age better than stock?

but.... suspose you guys aint gonna keep em forever and they will be somone elses problems by then ;) .

But I personaly (now your gonna flame me) like the ferrari copycats, I think its cool and fun, you know its an MR2, your not pretending, your just having a laugh, and i you wanna do it - go for it - I for one will come and see it when its done.

How mant people can say they 'done' it, I reckon its more fun 'doing' it than it it apposing it... aye.

Well - whatever you do, you've picked a nice car to do it with,

'4. Modify and uprate the engine to at least 320 BHP'

HAHAHA!.. then try driving it round town in the wet!

But I personaly (now your gonna flame me) like the ferrari copycats, I think its cool and fun, you know its an MR2, your not pretending, your just having a laugh, and i you wanna do it - go for it - I for one will come and see it when its done.

ive agreed with nearly all of what youve posted and even the things i dont agree with i can see your reasoning, but then you approve of the ish kit?

do you not think aero kit makers such as border or sard compare to a copied kit of car which has different dimensions, engine, interior etc... anyone who knows about ferraris would tell straight away that its fake and when people ask what it is you ave to say mr2. the ferrari name is too high of a marque for a toyota to meet and will dissapoint people when you say its an mr2, however if you mod an mr2 and dont try and hide the fact its an mr2 then people will be impressed with your work!

jappy beast - that's what boost control is for - I never said 'tune it to 320 BHP and drive it in all conditions' ... perhaps I should have further added that it is possible to control the boost - from the cockpit - to compenstae for atmospheric and climate conditions - but I thought guys and gals would be aware of 'driver control and assesment of factors'......

but aye - 320 bhp in the wet has got to be a 'good' laugh on an airfield to learn how to handle the car, like I said in point 1 of my first post; 1. Learn to drive it, properly and forget the hype

now - back to the 355 kits;

i'm not saying 'everybody should do it'

i'm just suggesting that it's got to be a fun project and If its being done to be 'passed off' as a ferrari, then STOP.

but if it's just a bit of fun and a laugh and your doing it because modding can be a laugh and fun, and not 'real serious do it this way or your not cool'.

modding and tuning is great because we have a blank sheet.

A couple of years ago I nearly went ahead with a Banham Spyder porsche 550 kit car, and the car looked identical to the the old porsche (james dean) but the problem for me was the chassis and engine was from a SKoda estelle.

The skoda estelle was in its day a great rally car in its class and won loads of rallyes, but - after researching, I decided that the engine wasnt going to last for ever and the handling would be awful 'compared' to other kit cars and I just thought it was 'irony' to look like a porsche but have skoda under the body, and I couldnt part with the cash....

It was car snobbery... but it 'is' a fast car, and if you can see past the 'skoda' name then it can be a great project.

The difference between the Mr2 replica ferrari is under the kit is a proper little car, with the ability to reach 350 BHP with the right tubby and charge cooling - 12 seconds here I come - thats ferrari time territory.

I didnt think to myself - I can't afford a porsche so i'll copy one, I just looked at the kit cars available and I liked the look of that particular car.

It would be more of a statement and more ironic to do the MR2 ferrari full kit but put Toyota badges in place of all the ferrari ones. that would raise an eyebrow.

So If I could sum up my involvement on this thread - which you must agree is completely unbiased which is better than convincing the guy to do what I have done or am doing - as I dont own and possibly never will drive, an Mr two, The guy asked what should he do;

you have three choices imho, and they are;

1. body Kit the car up to 'your' spec, to a show car spec, with shiny bits in the engine, and stuff in the interior so it 'looks good' and gets a crowd and draws criticism - good or bad.

2. Leave it stock and meticulously maintain it.

3. Modify it from a tuners point of view, making it perform more like a car capable of even more high speed and high peformance handling, drive train, handling pack and engine / transmission. (and dont abuse it on the road, take it to a track and 'compete' to put your mouth where your tuning ability is)

do either of the above, you will recieve criticism from people who are in different camps - stock/modded/tuned - and you will also recieve criticism from those in your own camp.

just be sure of one thing, whichever camp you follow, dont walk through the middle of the camp like a sheep following the farmer, do it your own way and research, research, and apply your findings. do it your way after looking at all the options.

Its all good fun.

The bottom line - its a Toyota Mr2 so your'e starting with a good base car, albeit not not a Skoda Estelle.

thank you please.

your resident theorist and sick man in bed with nowt else to do.

what does it matter to u guys? u arent the one paying for it or driving it. let him do what he wants.

Im all for the Ferrari kit....or any kit for that matter as long as it LOOKS good & DOESN'T noticably effect the parformance. It's always going to be in the eye of the beholder.....here in NZ there are BUGGER all if any Ferrari's around so it's not as easy for most to tell the differences that most of you lot who see them quite often see. Personally I don't really like the Veilside kit....to aggressive looking for my liking and very common, but that's just me :)

All depends on what you want from your car....IMO It's still not old enough and rare enough to be seen as a classic and in turn they generally get treated with little respect as there pretty cheap to pick up. It doesn't hurt to ask for reccomendations/opinions on looks & performance but everyone will have varied answers & as long as you take them for what they are it's all good.

Cheers

KiwiMR2

God, been on this forum for along time and the Ferrari things crops up alot!

Why try and make your car look like something it clearly is not? It might be a fun project to build but you are driving about in an MR2.. makes no sense to me personally.

The whole idea of sitting in a Ferrari kitted MR2 at the lights and a real one pulls up next to you, you are gonna look silly! I have followed the kit car scene since I was a teenager, if you were to transform your car to something original like the Pontiac donar car kits then thats fine but to look like a ££££££ Ferrari is rediculous!

Can you tell I hate Ferrari kits? :P :P :P

Why try and make your car look like something it clearly is not?

Clearly to you lot.....not for us over here. There is ONE here in Auckland that featured in ounr NZ PerformaNCE CAR MAG....might be better quality than you UK guys are used to, I'll TRY and get pics and you can compare as I have virtually no genuine ones to compare to. The MR2 is a good base as it's SIMILAR in shape....if you said you wanted to do it to a WRX or EVO or Supra I'd say the same as you but IMO the MR2 is one of the ONLY cars you can convincingly do it to at a resonable cost.

Cheers

KiwiMR2

But the MR2 kitted Ferrari's are about a quarter smaller than the original thing.

But the MR2 kitted Ferrari's are about a quarter smaller than the original thing.

Are they?? I wouldn't know......see that's sorta my point ;) Imagine if it was done on a WRX or Evo, it would be smaller in comparison AND not the right shape, at least the MR2 has the shape going for it....making it a better choice.

Anyway each to there own.....there is certianly nothing wrong with anyone not liking it and picking out it's flaws, It certianly went down well here in NZ but we don't have the real thing to compare to so it can get away with it on that respect :)

Cheers

KiwiMR2

what does it matter to u guys? u arent the one paying for it or driving it. let him do what he wants.

erm... :blink: he asked a question. It is polite to answer. He asked what should I do - he now has lots and lots to consider 'before' he chooses what he will do rather than doing it and saying 'look what Ive done' - he's testing the water to see what other fanciers and owners have done, so I dont see you point.

Nobody was having a go at anybody mate, its just a discussion.

ohh.. hah.. didnt mean to come off sounding like an *****. i dunno, but everyone is suggesting what they think will look nice. now wheres the individuality in that if it conforms to what other people think looks nice? u know? i cant really explain it... hmm...