Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Engine Doesn't Feel Right

dawolf

The last few days my engine hasn't felt right. Yesterday I did lots of motorway driving without any problems but when I checked the oil level this morning it was pretty low (below halfway). Topped it up with a full litre of oil. Today it was slightly hesitant and seemed to be idling a bit lumpy (dropping to 700rpm). Checked the oil level tonight and it seemed on the low side again. Bought a big 4.5 litre bottle of oil and stuck some in. There are no signs of coolant in the oil filler cap and engine is not overheating. Any ideas or is it just me imagining things?

mmm.. okay well a loss of a quart of oil should be normal between change times. however, by the way u explained it, u seem to have an oil leak somewhere. when was the last time u change your ignition components?

I haven't changed ignition components, all I've done is an oil and filter change since I've owned it. Sometimes I find it difficult to read the oil level properly coz my drive has a slight slope and the dipstick isn't all that clear on MR2's. I'll check again in the morning. I can do without all this worrying at the minute!

why dont u change cap, rotor, oem plugs, and some ngk plugs and see if it still idles rough. also check ur vac lines. as for the oil level, most likely a leak. try to locate where its from. maybe a gasket or seal might need replacing?

Okay I feel daft now. Checked the oil level this morning and it was ABOVE maximum by some way, I don't think it really needed any after all. Obviously I'm not checking the level properly, it doesn't help that my drive is slightly sloped. Is it safe to have too much oil in the engine? I've been informed it should just gradually burn up. It's still idling slightly lumpy, revs keep dropping to 700rpm.

Drain some of your oil out - via the sump plug.

1 whole litre did sound a bit too much if the dipstick is only just below halfway!

too much oil in the engine can possibly cause problems. check that the oil isnt "bubbly" on the dipstick, if it is then the oils been frothing around the crankshaft = not good!

too much oil can be just as bad as not enough!

Thanks for the feedback, it's only about half a centimetre above maximum now so not too bad. It's driving okay anyway.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links