Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hi,new To Forum

ozzy666

lo all, my names rob and i'm wanting to get a celica 92-94 model the one with the pop up lights [the best shape in my view no offence to anyone] and hoping you could give me some advice.my main concern is, with it being an old model and age is it worth getting? are toyota's as gooda engines as people say? are they a reliable car?are there any flaws with these models? and most of all is it worth getting rid of my t reg hairdressers :D ] peuhgoet 206 with 40k on it to buy a lovely looking car which may f*** up? i'll hopefully have £2800 to £3000 to spend.many thanks :thumbsup:

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ozzy666

• daktari

• SamK1984

• GT4 BOOSTER

My other half has a 206 - my advice...... GET RID AND GET THAT CELICA!!! I wish my boyfriend would! :lol::lol:

Welcome to the forums! I can safely say that a Celica is well worth getting, Toyotas are known for their reliability and excellent build quality, so you should have no problems - definitely less problems than with a 206 let me tell you!

The Celica folk will be able to help you better, but yes, make the change!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

G'day Rob and WELCOME to TOC and hopefully HAPPY CELICA ownership :thumbsup:

I've still got a Gen 5 Celica (pop up lights) as well as my new Gen 7.

Trying to sell the 5 but can't let gooooooooooooooooooooo. I love it so much and well.it has been with me for 8 years and over 140,000 miles.

I think that says a lot about how good they are.

Hope you get one as you will not regret it. :thumbsup:

The engines are virtually BOMB proof if they have been serviced and mine now has over 193,000 on the clock to show how long they can run problem free for.

Ask anything ya like on here - plenty of peeps to answer the questions :thumbsup:

Hi Rob and welcome to TOC.

The Celica Gen 5 rocks, my KITT is an H Reg 1991 and still as sexy as the day she was born and noooooo rust on her.

Hi Rob. Welcome to the madhouse. Not to mention the best forum in the entire universe. Good choice with the Gen5. Defo the best looking of the Celicas. Don`t let them Gen 6 boys tell you otherwise. :lol::thumbsup::thumbsup:

welcome to TOC, I have a 91 JDM Celica GT4 with leather etc for sale in the club for sale section.

you wont need that much money to buy a gen 5 , a 1995 gen 6 is bringing only £ 2700 ish , if i were you with 3 grand i'd buy the ultimate celica gen 5 , in the form of a gt4 . these cars push a thong furthur up your rear than a whack with a cricket bat would. :thumbsup::yes:

Definatly get the celica, my brother has a clio same year as my car theres not a single rattle or noise on my celica the build quality is far better than any other car ive driven. Sell the 206 and get the celica for summer :rolleyes:

Hi Rob I am v new here too. I got fed up with the string of rubbish that I was driving, Rov 623SI Rov 18 SDT etc and got myself a Celica 1994 (Gen 6 I believe). It is a great :thumbsup: looker, I have been unable to get images to display but hey take me word for it.

Anyway I am chuffed to bits and driving it is a far nore enriching experience than the other crap. I.m geting rid of what I have and keeping the celica and the 1997 24v mondeo.

I paid way too much for the celica and dont regret it. The water pump started grumbling 12 days after I bought it and I have since changed it, the job was no problem and 80 quid got me new pump, timing belt and aux drive belts., thats tonnes cheaper than the mondy.

So what else can I say go for it if B)

cheers for all for the replies :thumbsup: putting my car in ad mag this weekend :D hopefully will sell quick as people say they are a popular car for first time buyers[cheap insurance].would love a black gt4 they look so awesome B) but blokes at work say there are very high insurance[i'm 28],consume loads of petrol and are very expensive on parts :blink: so might go with the 2.0 gt[really don't no :wacko: will be looking at a few models,which do u prefer?] is there anything i should look out for when viewing one or just the usual when buying. thanks rob :P

uk gt4's are cheap to insure , the only real parts to be concerned with is the superstrut suspension set up - @ nearly £ 500 a side to sort ( if you replace all 3 sections of it ) its true they like a drink , but drive one without boosting ( ha-ha its nigh on impossible ) and the fuel returns are just as much as the st202 gt.brake discs £100 each , pads £40 a set fronts,all said the fun had in a gt4 massively out does the fun that a st202 gt brings. IMHO

cheers for all for the replies :thumbsup: putting my car in ad mag this weekend  :D hopefully will sell quick as people say they are a popular car for first time buyers[cheap insurance].would love a black gt4 they look so awesome B)  but blokes at work say there are very high insurance[i'm 28],consume loads of petrol and are very expensive on parts :blink: so might go with the 2.0 gt[really don't no :wacko:  will be looking at a few models,which do u prefer?]  is there anything i should look out for when viewing one or just the usual when buying.  thanks rob :P

At 28 you shouldn't have any problem insuring a GT4. It will probably cost more than your 206 though! They can be quite thirsty, but it really depends on how you drive it. Parts aren't too expensive, and you get the japanese reliability built in. Having said that, there are going to be some ropey GT4's out there by now, these cars are 15 years old. Make sure you look at a few before you buy, and a car that's been well looked after will stand out from the rest.

The gen 5 GT4 doesn't have the 'superstrut' suspension, so you don't have to worry about that.

It you decide to just get a gen 5 GT, you shouldn't pay over £2000 for a good lowish mileage car. :thumbsup:

yup no superstrut on the gen 5 , ( note to me , read the posts fully ) :lol:

i have got a 1991 H reg GT-R A jap import gen 5 with 130k kilometers tell you what im really pleased with what i got for under a grand make sure you change the timingbelt along with the tensioners then she will serve you for life.and unless u scrach it ,it wont rust never!

bust check out for the usual ie suspention damage , accident damage oil leaks etc then you should be fine for a long time!

you can get some parts from breakers for bargin prices too. (i got my rear boot shooks for 10 quid each from a breaker)

as you are a 28 yr old insurance cant be too bad but insuarance is a killer for me as im a 22 yr old!

Evenin, n welcome! :D

Ditch the Pug, and get the Celica! You know it makes sense....

• 2 weeks later...

Hi m8

Welcome its my 1st day on here aswell i have the 2.0 gt-r gen 5 and its awesome the best car ive driven and the good thing is i didnt pay alot for it i swapped for my clapped out rover 220 2.0 diesel.

Best deal ive done in my life dont think i'll e driving anything else after owning a celica.

sephton19661

value for money on the Gen 5's is hard to beet. GT4's are a little more but worth the money for what you get.

Insurance wont be a expensive if you have a clean license.

Hi there, I have a 93 gen 5, I paid a grand got it, and have never looked back, a lot faster than other 2 litres, and insurance for me was 475 fully comp, im 26 and its an import, so they cost a bit more than the uk spec, loads of toys to play with, once you get one, I promise it wont be the last!!!!!!!!! Good luck

Oh and I get about 32 mpg with my auto trannie!!!! but 25 if I put my lead lined shoes on :P

• 3 weeks later...

lo all !! well can't seem to get rid of my ****ty peugeot 206 i've had it in ad mag for 3 weeks now and not even a phone call :censor: getting ****** off :ffs: put it in for £3000 ono which i'd except 2800, [only done 40k] really wanting a celica but not gonna give the pug away.other thing is when starting the pug when cold it revs like mad on its own for bout 1min till its warm,once warm its fine. took it to garage 4 times and they can't find anything wrong but its very noticable when the engines been stood for a length of time.would you still sell it ??feeling a bit guilty :!Removed!: anyway hope to sell it soon and join the celica crew B) fingers crossed

3 Weeks is nothing.............

I've been trying to sell my Gen 5 for 6 months and no takers yet :crybaby:

Still, bonus is I have 2 Celicas to play with at moment :yes:

ozz

you asked which was the best...

a L reg UK model is newest.

but all models from 90 onwards are good cars - find the best one you can.

as far as best for the NA gen 5, then imho the bes NA gen 5 is the early widebody GTS models.

made ST18**-***V..... 8910-9108 - V denotes special model.

so thats the special NA celica - some would have had leather and 8 speaker systems from the factory...

you could try and import one yourself - it would be easier to import the GT-R, a special model - wouldnt take too long for an agent in japan to locate one.

then you have leather interiors in some, jdm imports have extra electrics.

JDM imports - I would pay up to £2500 for a low mileage one - even if it is a 90 model - A good example will be near mint bodywork wise and will be restricted to 112mph.

they are imho the most sought after NA celica model from a special and rarity point of view - I suspose next to the convertibles and GT4 RC's...

but a UK car will come with full service history... if you find a good one.

The japanese do not skimp when servicing cars though....

good luck with whatever you choose.

cheers

hey :D ,are imports harder to get parts for? and do they cost more to insure??what mileage should i be looking for there are loads on autotrader between 90k -110k should i keep clear and find a much lower one?people say toyota engines are superb for high mileage but is'nt it a bit risky?thanks :thumbsup:

Imports generally use the same parts as UK cars, they do cost ni general a little more to insure (get your quotes first)...

Mileage is a difficult one as if the car has been well maintained it shouldn't really be an issue...

As for risky I know of a couple of Mr2's that are still tracked with engine running over 240k, just an example of if it's well looked after you'll be fine :D