Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Help Required To Identify Noise From Drivers Side

MSC_Kev

Hi all.

I booked my rolla into the garage next wednesday to have a look at a squeaking noise my car has just recently developed. I know these types of issues are hard to describe, so I'll do my best.

1.The noise sounds rotational as the wheel is rotating it develops the squeak and only appears to be making the noise below 50mph, well from what I can gather.

2. I can't say I have noticed the noise when turning left and from what I can gather it only makes the noise when driving straight or turning to the right.

3. The noise is not constant / continous and comes and goes, you can be driving several miles and nothing, then all of sudden it can make the noise for a while and then go.

I don't think it's anything like something trapped between brake disc and pad and I'm sure it's either the driver's side front or rear wheel. I'm thinking wheel bearing?? any thoughts before I get the garage to spend my hard earnt £££'s fixing it.

thanks for any help

Kev :thumbsup:

hmm not sure what that would sound like, but I don't think it would make quite a loud squeaking noise, but it's a possibility.

Kev

hmmm, agreed - unless the pad is becoming worn as a result?

Have you felt the wheel after it has been squeaking for a while? Does it feel warm? (I had a similar problem on an MX6 a few years ago)

I thought a worn bearing would be more of a knocking noise rather than a squeak?

good idea, I forgot about that.

I had a similiar thing happen on my last car too, I'll try and check it next time to see if the wheel is not at normal temp. My calliper was so bad on my last car it was red hot to touch and that was a seized calliper.

Hi,

I've got exactly the same problem on mine at the moment, and on the same side.

It's more noticable at slow speeds, and as with yours it is only there when going in a straight line or turning right. It disappears when turning left, and also when applying the brakes very lightly (not even enough to start slowing the car).

The pads appear fine, but I haven't taken the wheel off to have a closer look.

It definitely sounds like metal to metal, so I should really have a shifty pretty soon.

Gareth.

hmm interesting....

I have checked my pads as they have plenty left on them, in fact hardly worn so I know I'm not low on brake pads. The discs aren't marked either.

very odd as you have the exact same problem.

Kev

Could i make a suggestion, i've had loads of Yaris' that have noisy CV boots, they rub on lock etc....a bit of silicon spray solves it!! This may not be the case but if the noise doesnt effect the performance of brakes or steering then poss some rubber such as the boot or maybe even the spring seatpad could be worn...hope you find the faults!!

Chris :rolleyes:

Think that Chris Barnes might have a point..... I too have exactly the same problem as you, same side, same noise, same difference at lower speeds.

First thought was wheel bearing had gone as I have had many cars go before, but after lifting on the jack and moving the wheel side to side it seemed ok. I put the car on full right lock to have a peek at the pads etc....looked ok.... but as I began to spin the wheel slowly I heard the cv boot making noise, so am thinking this may be the problem.

Have yet to change it, but its looking likley that it may be the cause. If I get round to doing it, and it works I will post the reply to let you know :rolleyes: .

Good luck

M

Hi there.

It's the first time I post in this forum, but it's quite known of some mates I have.

Regarding the problem that is beeing mentioned here, my 1.4D-4D '04 Rolla is have the same problem.

I've already taken the car to the Toyota dealer, but unfortunatly, the sound just desapeared by some miracle :unsure:

It's quite strange since this noise comes and goes...

I've also notice that the when the noise comes, it comes when just going strait but it's more pronounced when turning to the right. Also notticed that when I brake, I can hear some clicks too.

I've checked the disks and pads, but they seem to have the normal usage for a 15kkm car.

About the CV joint causing the noise, could it be felt when driving? What I'm trying to say is, can you feel something strange when turning/braking?

Thank you guys

Well strangly enough the day I booked it into the garage the noise has amazingly dissapeared. I cancelled the booking as I'm not paying out for them not to find anything.

The C.V joint was replaced on the passenger side, so I may consider doing the drivers side in the future, but for now all seems well :S

thanks for the help and advice guys

Kev :)

Id get your caliper checked mate. I also have a corolla E10 and my front left brake caliper seized. As i was driving the wheel became so hot that the clips that held in my center cap on the wheel melted. I also had to replace pads all round because the front left side was so bad. Took the caliper apart to clean it up, turns out one of the sliders on the caliper and the main piston were seizing. So had to buy a new caliper. The noise sounds like an intermittent squeaking and it tends to go for a short while when you lightly press the brake pedal. Caliper is more than likely seized. Take it off the car and check all the sliders and copper grease them, It may solve the problem, may not

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links