Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

What Is There To Sence The Speed?

em_ar_two

i have a problem of my speedo not working and i have just done the diagnostic thingy with the wire and its said the speed sensor isnt working, but what is there involved altogether to sence the speed, does it simply go via the ecu and to the sensor in the back top of the gearbox of is there another module somewhere the sences the speed after the sensor in the gearbox, many thanks in advance

no only the plug on the gearbox. IIRC it goes to the sppedo and then the ecu.

if you have a speed delimiter fitted then check the wiring to this. if all this looks sound, remove it and join up the cut lead if it is the four wire type. if this dosent sove the prob then you will need to check the gearbox sender as these have been known to loose teeth

so if i get a new sensor that goes in the top of the gear box i should be ok its uk gt dont think it will have limiters on like imports

• 1 month later...

I'm having problems with a dead electronic speedo and went down to interrogate the local Toyota parts department... they said that "our cars" (referring to UK spec cars) also use the signal from the ABS sensors as part of the speed-sesing process. Sadly, that was about as much useful info as I got from him :huh:

I'm having problems with a dead electronic speedo and went down to interrogate the local Toyota parts department... they said that "our cars" (referring to UK spec cars) also use the signal from the ABS sensors as part of the speed-sesing process. Sadly, that was about as much useful info as I got from him :huh:

good ol toyota

thats cobblers as some didnt come with ABS!

as dawesy says its a little electronic sender stuck in the side of the g'box or it is a mechanical wire opertaed speedo drive on the rev1 cars

got mine sorted, turned out the sensor in the top of the gear box, the plastic gear from the end of the pole has fell off inside the gearbox somewhere, i got a complete sensor for 35 quid from a scrapper and wacked it in 10 minute job, ahhhhhhh now i know how fast im going again, you can pull it out and look to see if yours is the same, its the top back of the gearbox, take the connector off and there one bolt in it, take that off and tug yourself silly coz its a burger to get out, there should be a white cog on the end, if not then i advise you drain your gearbox coz mines knackered my gearbox must have got caught up in the gears or something

thats a a god send :yes:

my mates after one for his rev1 and nobody will give him the sender unless he buys the gull g'box as they are a !Removed! to get as a lone item, or very expensive!

can i ask where you got it from or any contact details?

sure i rang find and part and this miso s0d rang me back from autospares 17 the grages, evesmere ave, mill hill, london nw7 3ex phone number 0208 959 1210 they charged me 25 quid for the whole sensor and 10 quid for next day postage and they part was in good nick too as the one i took out was all rough and stiff to turn which is probably what bust the cog off but the one they sent was nice and smooth to turn

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links