Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Excessive Oil Use

storm99

I believe Castrol high mileage is a thick cold crank 15/40 semi synth, for old engine technology like n/a diesel van engines and old carb ford and vauxhaul spluttering bangers.

high mileage on a jap 90's engine is 125K and up, just when its broken in properly.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cubic Incubi

• sotal

• oilman

• celica dave

so will changing my oil to a decent one (i'm using castrol high mileage)cure the st problem of using oil yet running great ,with no signs of burning oil etc :help: ....sorry oilman for being a pain in the a*se ..must be my age!

What viscosity is the oil you're using and what's the mileage on the car?

Cheers

Simon

its sae 15-40 api sl acea a2/b2 cheers dave.

its sae 15-40 api sl acea a2/b2 cheers dave.

told ya :P

;)

Not really, what was the mileage on the car?

Cheers

Simon

Not really, what was the mileage on the car?

Cheers

Simon

90,000 and runs great apart from this oil problem,....cheers dave

Exactly, I wouldn't be using a high mileage oil at 90000. 170000 plus maybe but you really need to be using a decent synthetic oil.

If the car is burning oil then use a 10w-50 which will give better consumption.

Cheers

Simon

Exactly, I wouldn't be using a high mileage oil at 90000. 170000 plus maybe but you really need to be using a decent synthetic oil.

If the car is burning oil then use a 10w-50 which will give better consumption.

Cheers

Simon

cheers simon,will change it and give it a go!

2 things...

the nitrous nos octane booster stuff is horrible, Nox shot or whatever its called. each to their own but i dont like it. I like STP additive to 'clean' carbon build up, but to boost octane - have you tried Millers?

Secondly, my 1.9tdi Dub Bus and my 2.2CDi Vito both use 15/40 semi synth, as poured in by the Dealers - I dont touch them, have no love for them and dont care.

so - the diesel engines use 15/40, and whilst they share the low down torque of the ST's or in general FE's, they are no way near the same technology and both top out between 4500-5000rpm....

10/40 is the highest cold crank I would use.

15/40 grade is cheap cheap cheap oil.

the only thing that make it suitable for high mileage engines is its detergent additives as the manufacturers expect old smokey rattle engines. But it has low shear qualities at high forces and rpm. which imho is why it brakes down.....

so how do we win with this so called Castrol high mileage marketting?

is your toyota old and smokey and rattly? with low peak rpm? more to the point, is it a low revving diesel?

you dont win - you loose BHP and that is factual, you have to change the oil more often, it takes longer to protect from a cold start - it stops working sooner... at high rpm - ay on a motorway run it'll burn off in a jiffy as it just aint made for higrevving engines... all in all its just cheap oil.. dont know what more to be said about using a 15/40 semi synth... its just old fashioned oil technology for old fashioned engines - its not 'bad oil' but it's not good for 'our' engines ans they dont fit into the niche the oil is designed for..

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links