Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav4 Parking Brake

eric530

Anyone know how the parking brake on Rav4 works? (2004 AWD) if its self adjusting or if there's some type of tightening screw near the handle or at the rear wheels?

Pretty new Rav4 with new pads but the parking brake doesnt catch until its almost all the way up, and its loose at that.

Plese note, we now have a Rav4 sub -section at top of 4x4 page :thumbsup:

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showforum=79

In answer to your question, most disc brake toyota vehicles ,have a small set of handbrake shoes , mounted inside the rear brake disc hub, it can be adjusted two ways, adjuster nut and cable up by the lever ,or with a screwdriver, through a inspection hole in the brake disc hub ( you click the adjuster round using the screwdriver ):)

As a hint, there is a Rav 4 forum within the 4x4 forum now, if you look at the top.

The adjuster is under the centre column, and according to my manual you remove the centre console for access. it also says there should be about 6 to 8 clicks of travel when correctly adjusted and pulled up with moderate force.

There is a Haynes manual for them, but it's just an american version which doesn't make too much difference.

My RAV4 was only 6mts old and the parking brake was stuck. That was due to dust accumulating in the drum. Had it checked by dealer but it happened soon afterwards again. So try and keep to the 6 clicks or else there may not be enough clearance very soon afterwards.

Yes I had the drums apart and there are these adjusters in there. Beware do not over do it. The other adjustment --- an easier option ---is by the hand brake handle under the centre console.

I would recommend that you spend the time and have the drums apart ---you can then clean the dust accumulated and lubricate the moving parts.

Thanks, didnt see that Rav4 thread, thinking i might buy a haynes manual now (im such a newbie)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links