Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis Tyres

Julncamp

I have read more than a few posts on the forum regarding road tyre noise with the new model Avensis. I own a T Spirit Auto 2003 model and have just clocked up 52000 miles; yep 52000 and have been advised by my friendly local toyota dealer that its time to change the original Dunlop sport 3000A tyres. I checked out a few web pages and the reports for the Dunlop sport SP9000 seemd to meet the criteria for performance and quietness. I bought a set of 4 (ouch!) but the Lexsus spec'd version of the Dunlop Sport SP 9000. I can confirm that the road noise is now significantly reduced and the handling and cornering enhanced. On that new Birmin'ham toll road. The road surface is so good you have to strain yer ears to hear anything at all from the Avensis at 70++mph.......... :yes:

I have just bought a '53 plate "new" (pre-reg) Avensis T-Spirit fitted with 215/45 17 inch Dunlop 3000a tyres and agree with many contributors to this site that the road noise at any speed over 10 mph and on any type of surface is pretty horrendous. I will concede that although the ride is firm, the handling is excellent. I complained to my dealer and did a test ride on another Avensis with Bridgestones and the noise level was little different. I also tested an Avensis with 202/55 16 inch tyres, and there was some improvement. For Toyota to produce a sperbly built car with a quiet engine (2L petrol) and spoil the general enjoyment of driving with ths awfull background noise is self-defeating to say the least. I know that to some, road noise caused by low profile tyres is not of major concern and "one can always turn the radio up", but to me, as a driver of over 40 years and having owned and driven many cars, the general reduction of road and traffic noise is something that car makers must take some responsibilty for. I note your comments about changing to SP9000,s, but unfortunately I have only done 300 miles on my tyres, and the Dealer has said that any changes I considered would not come under the warranty. If I thought that changing to 9000's would solve the problem, I think I would "bite the bullet" and pay myself. Apologies for the length of my comments.

I suffered like you 65special for 2 years in a 2.0 T Spirit . The road noise plus the fuel consumption in town persuaded me to swap for a diesel and I did a deal to have 16" wheels on the new car. Different experience altogether. Much quieter, much improved ride and the handling doesn't seem greatly different either.

Sympathies - you could always try to do a swap with some 3TX wheels from a member! :)

Just picked up my new 2 litre Avensis estate. Comes with the standard Bridgestones -- Tauranza or some such. I drove 4 different test cars, and for unexplained reason/s, this one has far less road noise. Have they changed something in recent months? -- the Bridgestones are known to grip well, but I expected more noise based on past experience.

Great to receive a tyre recommendation nonetheless. I think I'll keep these ones until they die and then certainly take a look at the Dunlops.

P.S. I'm on 16" -- 17" is an undesirable gimmick, noise, handling, expense...

If your avensis is a brand new one have you got the modified suspension bushes for you guys out in Sweden Finland etc? That might explain some difference you noted.

Another point is that the tyre pressure used can influence road handling and noise especially on the 17" low profile tyers. I rigidly stick to 2.4bar all around.

If your avensis is a brand new one have you got the modified suspension bushes  for you guys out in Sweden Finland etc? That might explain some difference you noted.

Another point is that the tyre pressure  used can influence road handling  and noise especially on the 17" low profile tyers. I rigidly stick to 2.4bar all around.

Yes the car is brand new and from very new stock. Finland has a quota, and when I ordered my car the dealer's computer told us that there were no more of its kind in port. Nevertheless, this miracle of modern IT allowed the dealer to identify and ear mark one that was on the UK production line at the time (this was towards the end of April). The ship drops off to Sweden along the way.

I have no idea about modified suspension bushes (please tell more), but what I can say is that the Avensi I test drove, which probably came off the production line towards the end of last year, had much more tyre noise than the one I just picked up -- I was expecting something much worse on the motorway and have therefore been pleasantly surprised.

Tyre pressures are a well known issue here on Finnish internet forums, and I've posted before on this matter. In my experience, the Avensis has poor directional stability with the Toyota recommended 2.2 bar. 2.4 sounds about right, some go to 2.5 or more. The dealership I bought from had guys from Nokian Tyres over to test their winter tyres, and the tyre manufacturer's own experts recommended 2.7 bar for this particular car.

After my first test drive I was almost totally put off, but a second test drive with a mechanic's car (the mechanic used higher pressure as he knew the score) got me going, then back to rubbish again on a third drive with another car, and back to good again with same third car with higher pressures. The tyre pressures together with the hydraulic PAS of the 2.0 litre got me the car that would sit nicely on the road without constant correction. I can now happily confirm that it does! (and quiet, too!). :)

interesting fact of the day: research in the Nordic countries has shown that ABS brakes have brought no statistical reduction in the number of accidents. ABS does, however, increase stopping distances on snow and ice by 10%. I think ABS is a gimmick -- no different to those 17" alloys :wacko: What will they sell us next?

It would seem that tyre road noise seems to be problematic, generally for owners of T4 and T-Spirit Avensis's fitted with 17 inch tyres, and for those "lucky" owners with lower spec. models fitted with the 16 inch 205/55 sets, it appears not to be a major issue. I agree with the comments that these low profiles seem to be fitted mainly for cosmetic or prestige reasons and are not really necessary for a car that Toyota themselves present as a high quality comfortable family car without any major sports or performance credentials. In my case, I think the only options are 1. Buy new 17 inch Dunlop 9000's or other brand and hope for some improvement, 2. Buy new 16 inch alloys fitted with appropriate tyres. Both would obviously be very expensive options.! or 3. Carry on with the status quo and turn the radio up! I wonder if, after the feedback that Toyota has received on this subject, that they include some improvements on the next facelift and as such, make available some retrofitting to improve the noise levels.

• 2 months later...

After reading through here I decided to try out the Dunlop SP9000's. I was going to get 4 but decided to just get 2 new ones and see if that helped, that way, if it didn't I could try 2 of something else and see how that went.

So, Friday morning, got the 2 SP9000 fitted to the front and then went to Wales camping for the weekend. On the motorway and on any fair to good tarmac road the SP9000 were very quiet, and handled fantastic, sticking to the road on all the bends the Welsh roads threw at me.

However, on the A5104, this road isn't so good, more gravel than tar in the tarmac, and on concrete road the tyre noise is still there. If you spend most of your time driving on the M25 concrete sections then don't bother, however, if you drive anywhere else, or any other motorway then I recommend the SP9000's

I'm off to buy 2 more this week

:ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...

When I was going round dealers for my new Avensis T4 I noticed that on a showroom model it had Michelins fitted. When I ordered my car I asked for michelins but it seems you cannot specify what tyres the car comes with.

Mine came with noisy dunlops. Has anybody used michelins and are they quiter than the dunlops? I do not do a lot of mileage so it will be sometime before I have to change tyres. On all my previous cars I have had michelins and I consider them to be excellent tyres.

When I was going round dealers for my new Avensis T4 I noticed that on a showroom model it had Michelins fitted. When I ordered my car I asked for michelins but it seems you cannot specify what tyres the car comes with.

Mine came with noisy dunlops. Has anybody used michelins and are they quiter than the dunlops? I do not do a lot of mileage so it will be sometime before I have to change tyres. On all my previous cars I have had michelins and I consider them to be excellent tyres.

In my experience i've found dunlop a quieter tire than michelins but on the other hand dunlops dont last has long nor do they give the same amount of wet grip has michelins. Obvioulsy i'm going by the experences with my corolla but there was a differnce and i'll be goin back to michelins cos i'd rather have a tire that grips well than a quiet one.

In my experience i've found dunlop a quieter tire than michelins but on the other hand dunlops dont last has long nor do they give the same amount of wet grip has michelins. Obvioulsy i'm going by the experences with my corolla but there was a differnce and i'll be goin back to michelins cos i'd rather have a tire that grips well than a quiet one.

Michelins have a harder compound than Dunlops. Hence they tend to last a looong time. But, they will also tend to be more noisy.

I always bought Michelins for my old Carina.

However. I recently replaced a clonked Bridgestone with the same. This was mainly because I was replacing a single tyre - and didn't want multiple brands on the same end of the car.

Did I notice the differenence in noise between my Carina on Michelin boots, and my Avensis on Bridgestone boots??? Not that I can tell.

My Carina was a noisier car all round. So this Avensis is quiet anyway compared.

Do I notice the road noise - yes, but only because the rest of the car is much quieter. I have travelled in far more quiet cars... but... would I spend £300-400 pounds to make the car more quiet - no.

Go for longevity and grip in my opinion.

(these ARE the only bit of your car on the road afterall)

Bridgestone seem to have these licked (so far) - I may switch back to Michelins in the fullness of time, but... I'm happy with the Bridgestones for now

BTW

If your going to buy new tyres - look at blackcircles web site

I saved nearly £20 on one tyre last week!!!!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links