Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Cam Belt Snaped At V High Rpm

johnsuzi

:o have just snaped the timing belt on our celica 2.0 gt (3s-fe)engine i,m hopeing that after reading some of the post,s on the site eg non-interference that there may be some hope,so what i,m asking is after checking for siezed pullys could i try to just re-fit a new one and see how it goes,or strip it down and check thank,s for any info john ps apologys for not changing the belt straight away,if i,d botherd to look i,d ave seen it was in real bad condition anyway had the car for 3 months so my fault realy cheers

:o  have just snaped the timing belt on our celica 2.0 gt (3s-fe)engine i,m hopeing that after reading some of the post,s on the site eg non-interference that there may be some hope,so what i,m asking is after checking for siezed pullys could i try to just re-fit a new one and see how it goes,or strip it down and check thank,s for any info john ps apologys for not changing the belt straight away,if i,d botherd to look i,d ave seen it was in real bad condition anyway had the car for 3 months so my fault realy cheers

The 3S-FE is supposed to be a non interference engine so you could be lucky. I hope so for your wallets sake. The only way is to get a new belt and fit it and see what happens. Probably goes without saying, but i`ll say it anyway. Make sure all the timing marks are lined up. :thumbsup: Let us know how you get on. Good luck. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

:) thank,s for confirming what i,ve read feel better now thank,s for that that will give it a go

:o  have just snaped the timing belt on our celica 2.0 gt (3s-fe)engine i,m hopeing that after reading some of the post,s on the site eg non-interference that there may be some hope,so what i,m asking is after checking for siezed pullys could i try to just re-fit a new one and see how it goes,or strip it down and check thank,s for any info john ps apologys for not changing the belt straight away,if i,d botherd to look i,d ave seen it was in real bad condition anyway had the car for 3 months so my fault realy cheers

The cam belt on my 3sfe Curren snapped and it is indeed a non interference engine BUT you will still need a head job (skim).

The cam belt on my 3sfe Curren snapped and it is indeed a non interference engine BUT you will still need a head job (skim).

Why?? :unsure: The only reason the head would need a skim would be if it were removed for any reason. Hopefully johnsuzi`s will be ok without having to resort to head removal. :thumbsup:

head job :blink:

ohhh cylinder head - nah cant see why it will- only a blown gasket would cause the need for a head skim.chances are you were skammed mate.

Your absolutely right, I was thinking of when my gasket blew between cylinders(don't ask me how that happened!). Symptons very similar. Sorry if I caused alarm!! :P

:D thank,s to you all (re 3sfe) ,i took daktari,s advice and just done timeing mark re-fited new cam belt and it started sweet as a nut,so i,m over the moon although it took me longer to get the top cover off due to one 10mm bolt opp the brake master cyl than the rest of the job,so thank,s again ps it,s well worth the membership fee,s to get your input as garage is about £35 per hour so iv,e saved to date about £95 in advice

:D  thank,s to you all (re 3sfe)  ,i took daktari,s advice and just done timeing mark  re-fited new cam belt and it started sweet as a nut,so i,m over the moon although it took me longer to get the top cover off due to one 10mm bolt opp the brake master cyl than the rest of the job,so thank,s again ps it,s well worth the membership fee,s to get your input as garage is about £35 per hour so iv,e saved to date about £95 in advice

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

my 2p having had a lot of experience with snapped belts in the past.

Yes the head is none interferance in the case of a snapped defective/worn belt.

However the oil pump has stopped pumping oil - how long was the engine running after it snapped?

any knocks, bangs, rattles on engine shut down?

If all the pulleys are moving freely, then it is safe to assume you have no block problems i.e seized ancillaries. The concern moves onto bearing oil starvation - but before we get into making monsters and having you worry and rip the engine open;

did the engine cut out immediately when it snapped?

Tell me more about how and when it happened - which gear, what speed, accelerating or decelrating, engine cut out or continued running etc etc.

we can take a closer look at what 'may be damaged and what is not damaged.

the head/block only needs skimmed if it has warped, and if so you need the cylinders bored too, this is often caused by oil failure, bearing failure, head gasket failure, a failed rod and has little to do with snapped belts unless the cause was a seized or failed component which is often oil and/or heat related.

lets have the full story :D then we can take a closer look. everybody suffers a mishap now and again, I'll be glad to share the burden :D

cheers

Karl

Highly unlikely the engine would suffer from oil starvation in this scenario. Even though the belt snapped at high revs the engine would have shut down in about 5 seconds or less. (Floor the throttle and then switch off the ignition - you`ll see what i mean)

The camshaft and obviously the distributor would stop rotating very quickly as there is no real mass to keep them turning. And the crankshaft would stop shortly afterwards aided by the build up of compression in the cylinders with valves fully shut. Splash lubrication would look after the bottom end. :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: yup, he's in good hands at TOC Daktari, hope he's on the up and up, lets hope he's one of the lucky guys :D

cheers

:arrgg-matey:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links