Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Uk Car Insurance

Steve Ratcliffe

Just been looking at renewal prices for my Yaris TSport insurance.... :eek:

Firstly contacted Direct Line, who gave me a renewal price for my T-Sport of £1006.00, plus £39.00 for adding my Dad on to the policy. This is compltly un-modified with a meisly £1000 electronic equipment cover.

I then rang Adrian Flux who wanted £1500 for the same deal.

I then rang Tesco's who wanted £1400...

Just as I was thinking the Direct Line had the best deal, I rang elephant who wanted just £688 to insure me, my mum and dad, with all the same level of cover, plus garenteed market value and courtessy car (neither of the last two offered by DL). All my Christmases have come at once!

Just shows how much of a joke insurance companies ar though and how much other companies are charging whatever they like!

Does anyone know of an insurance company that will insure my Install seperatly?

Cheers,

Steve.

yeah it is a joke, especially if u have a crash cos then ur buggered til ur 25

elephant seems like a good deal though mite give them a bell

I'm with elephant as they;ve always offered me the lowest price, only problem is they don't offer track cover !

Need to watch Elephant - they automatically assume you wish to renew each year and take payment from your card - that said they are quite well priced.

Good tip is www.confused.com

On this site you enter all your details and it then searches all the big insurance names and sends you an e mail about an hour later with everyones quote on it.

I tried confuse, I registered with them and never heard anything form them although did give them a new email addy specifically used for the car which started to get a load of car related spam about a week after i g=ave the address out which is very coincidental.

I then phoned them up and chased the quote which they assured me was on the way and have still to here nothing, except spam to the email addy which I closed down recently....

If you don't mind spam and they get back to you could always be worth a look though !

hmm i've never had spam from confused.com, sure its not all the !Removed! you were looking at whilst waiting ?

as for the car stereo seperate insurers, alot of the big brands now offer free insurance with new kit (just bought a new panasonic MP3 player :) )

but a 'general' insurance company will insure pretty much anything if it means paying them.....

Hi Again,

Further investigation into the insurance lark this morning revealed that Elephant class any Factory upgrades or optional extra's to the Vehicle as Modifications, and they will not insure or pay out for them. Does anyone else have nay experience with other insurance companies attitudes of manufacturers upgrades rather than modifications. I was expecting to have to insure the Install seperatly (found company called Firebond), but didnt really want to have to insure Toyota Extra's like the paint protection and trim upgrades?

Just off to try this confused thingy!

Cheers,

Steve.

I AM INSURED WITH HASTINGS YOU CAN FIND THEM IN YELLOW PAGES. THEY APPARENTLY ARE A SISTER COMPANY TO TOYOTA INSURANCE. I RANG AROUND EVERYWHERE AND THEY WERE THE CHEAPEST

Try Norwich Union Direct. They have given me a really good deal!

you lot ought to think yourselves lucky!

if i were to insure my car in my name, the cheapest quote ive found has been £2450 TPFT! for an 18 year old car - older than me! how's that for ridiculous! :angry:

even if id have just bought a mini or summat, it would still have been around £1000 - why bother! just lucky i have understanding parents!

Certainly seems the insurance companies are having a Giraffe.......

even if id have just bought a mini or summat, it would still have been around £1000

Distinctly better than £2450 though eh?

for an 18 year old car - older than me!

I'm pretty sure its your age their worried about.....

if you reckon slogging your guts out, working all hours possible while still at college to try and pay £1100 a year for a £300 998cc mini city is worth it, then i dont know what planet you're on.

ideally, i would like to have insurance in my name and build up some NCB, but i cant afford it, even at "only" £1100. i have looked forward to owning a car since before i can remember, and due to the stupid prices insurance companies charge, i am forced to go through a parent's name. where is the logic in me owning a crap car, when i can afford to insure a nicer one this way?

I'm pretty sure its your age their worried about.....

i know im a high risk case - does that give them the right to try and make it so expensive, that i dont even stand a chance of being able to own a car? id like you to be in my position, and see how you feel! at least in the past insurance was always more expensive at my age, but in some kind of proportion

Insurance is an out and out con,

You pay say £1000 for cover

You never claim on it,

You have to pay another £1000 the next year for the pleasure......

****ers

Surely if you dont claim on it, you shouldn't have to buy it again..... anyone want to start a stirctly limited insurers with me ? only friends and family, pay once until you use it then start again with a new quote.

how it should be.

It's the same for everyone though mate - you will find that most people started with fairly naff cars, I certainly did, and until you build up no claims and proove to the insurance companies that you are not just another 17 year old nob with no self control whatsoever, its not going to get any better.

Insuring the car in your parents name and listing yourself as a named driver does you no favours, as until the age of 25 your age hardly effects insurance premiums, it purely effects the excess you pay - NCD is the thing that makes your policy come down, not just through the discount that you get for having it, but through the exvidence that you have not had to claim, and so your risk goes down. Your risk is then calculated against the risk of the car, so if your a high risk driver in a high risk car your not going to be treated kindly when it comes to shelling out. Even when you do get a policy in your own name, even if its when your 23 you will still get a stupid premium because you have no reputation with your insurance company and no NCB.

My girlfriend is studying insurance calculation as part of her Maths Degree, hence all the info. IMHO mate paying more than the car is worth just for TPFT insurance not even in your own name is just daft?

if there weren't so many 17 year old nobs (as steve put it) then the insurance wouldn't be so bad for young bucks like us JT :)

im not paying more than the car is worth for cover in someone else's name. i'll be paying around £700 fully comp. the car's worth about £1500. <_<

like i said, if i could afford to insure a crap car in my own name for a few years i would. but i cant. so im not! im well aware that this is how most people start out, but insurance has gone up by that much recently, that it just aint possible for most people my age. i have looked into this myself, as well! i wanna keep doing this until im 21, then get a 306 Dturbo which are only group 4. by then, i should have a proper job, so be able to afford it. until then....

insurance companies are a :censor: joke, and it's young drivers that get pi***d on the most!!

It's a shame you have to get to be an old fart like me to get the best deal, an all singing all dancing fully comp. is only £300 for an MR2 roadster,but I still, ring round for the best deal, which can vary quite a lot, even at my age I won't let the b=stards rip me off!!!!

Les