Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gen 5 Gt-r Brake Disks

blw

Hello everyone!!

I've got my MOT coming up, so instead of spending hundreds of quids getting a garage to do my work, I'm gonna do it myself.

My brake disks need replacing, as the car shudders when I press the brake, so guessing they're warped.

I've measured my front disks, and they are 277 x 25. I thought the GT-R was supposed to have 255 x 25???

The 277s are GT4 disks are they not? Is the JDM Gen 5 supposed to have GT4 disks at the front and standard disks at the back?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Cheers.

JUst took a look at my brake discs on my gen 5 gtr mine are 258 x 25

dont know if this is of any help to you.

Got me wondering now if mine are ok or the right ones only had my car now for 4 weeks and braking is perfect with no judders or swerving so must be ok.

258? That sounds closer to spec.

I've got 17" alloys on the car, but I don't know if that would mean it's had disk upgrades.

The car pulls to the right, so I've permanently got the steering wheel turned about 20 degrees to the left to compensate. Is this related???

TA!!

:rolleyes: . yeah both my fronts judder ..warped discs. Mine also pulls left whilst driving. This has happened since i kerbed it though. Mines going in tomorrow to have a check up to see if they can solve the problem Ill let you know the outcome!!.

Yours might just have the tracking out..otherwise you may have the same prob fella :!Removed!:

Thankyou, glad to be here!!

The car has been pulling to the right and juddering since I bought it 2 months ago.

Ordered the manual off Amazon earlier, and going to replace the disks sat hopefully.

Anyone know the standard disk sizes?

The early gen 5s had smaller (255mm) brake discs, and the late cars got slightly larger ones (277mm?). I suspect that they went bigger when they started fitting 15" as standard instead of the earlier 14" wheels.

For some perculiar reason the smaller type ones were more expensive when I was getting quotes. :wacko:

Hello everyone!!

I've got my MOT coming up, so instead of spending hundreds of quids getting a garage to do my work, I'm gonna do it myself.

My brake disks need replacing, as the car shudders when I press the brake, so guessing they're warped.

I've measured my front disks, and they are 277 x 25.  I thought the GT-R was supposed to have 255 x 25???

The 277s are GT4 disks are they not?  Is the JDM Gen 5 supposed to have GT4 disks at the front and standard disks at the back?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Cheers.

Are you changing just the front discs or all round?

I was thinking of doing all of them. I may not have to now tho!!

I was driving home from work last nite, n my front pass side wheel started squeeling. The insides of both front tyres were worn down to the canvas!!!

Looks like my tracking is well out, so new tyres and allignment should sort the problem out. Hopefully.

Any thoughts???

Cheers.

I was thinking of doing all of them.  I may not have to now tho!!

I was driving home from work last nite, n my front pass side wheel started squeeling.  The insides of both front tyres were worn down to the canvas!!!

Looks like my tracking is well out, so new tyres and allignment should sort the problem out. Hopefully.

Any thoughts???

Cheers.

Have you got lowered suspension? Worn tyres on the insides sounds like a problem i had when i lowered mine. Had to get adjustable camber bolts as the Gen5 set up is non adjustable for camber. Hopefully it will just be tracking. :thumbsup:

I don't think the suspension is lowered, the wheels are 17", so Im thinking if it was lowered it would be rubbing the wheel arches.

Can the camber be set by a garage on the Gen5? I've gotta feeling that the camber is very negative to be causing such uneven waering. The outsides of the tyres are almost like new.

Would this cause the car to shudder when braking?

Ta!

I don't think the suspension is lowered, the wheels are 17", so Im thinking if it was lowered it would be rubbing the wheel arches.

Can the camber be set by a garage on the Gen5?  I've gotta feeling that the camber is very negative to be causing such uneven waering.  The outsides of the tyres are almost like new.

Would this cause the car to shudder when braking?

Ta!

17`s will and do fit nicely on the 5. I had them on mine originally. Took them off because they upset the cars handling and performance. Now i`ve got 16`s on it`s vastly improved.

Generally speaking any change from the standard set up will result in steering geometry changes and quite possibly this could be the cause of any problems you encounter. Although I would suspect the discs if it`s juddering when braking.

A garage can adjust the camber using a camber gauge, but, you will need to fit adjustable camber bolts. I got mine from Fensport.Click HERE :thumbsup:

Thanks Daktari.

I've emailed Fensport, but they need to know what size camber bolts I need. I've got 17" alloys and 15" disks. Any ideas??

Thanks again!

Thanks Daktari.

I've emailed Fensport, but they need to know what size camber bolts I need.  I've got 17" alloys and 15" disks.  Any ideas??

Thanks again!

Don`t know the size offhand. Might sound a daft question, but did you tell them the year and model of car? i would`ve thought they were the same size for a given model/year. :thumbsup:

Think i've solved the problem, for now anyway.

I've ordered some 16" alloys with tyres off eBay. This'll solve my worn tyre problem and hopefully put my wheel geometry closer to factory spec.

Anyone interested in 4 17" alessio alloys???

Thanks for everyone's help!

They're Alessio Imola. They're pretty scuffed around the rims, and one of them has damage to the inside rim, which will probably require rebalancing. Have definately seen better days.

With a respray should look fine. 10 spoke, so look HUGE on a Celica!!

Make sure you get the tracking done as soon as you`ve got them on. A rebalance would help too. :thumbsup:

Yup my mechanic phoned up effing and jeffing lol!!! he said the car runs straight and its just road camber . Apparently mine is just sensitive ....dammit!!!!

Oh but i do have a leaky shocker.....anyone got those clamps I can borrow so i can put new ones on?. (standard ones I like my comfort sod lowering!!)

Got my new 2nd hand alloys and tyres today, gonna stick 'em on tonight!!

Daktari, what Triumph you got???

`96 Speed Triple. Pampered beyond belief. :lol:

Get some pics up of your motor with the new wheels. Hope it solves a few probs for you as well. :thumbsup:

Took my wheels off yesterday to put the new 16s on, and discovered i had a collapsed wheel bearing.

Damn.

Took it to the garage today, and I was told that the stub axle needed replacing too.

DAMN.

The only place they can get it from is from Toyota, so incredibly expensive.

DAMN!!!!!!!

AND.... its on the stands at the garage, immobile, so he's gonna use a forklift to get it out of the way.

BL***Y *!@@@!!!!!!!

Someone remind my again why I bought a Toyota??????

Hard luck matey. Wheel bearings are a bit of achilles heel on celicas. Hopefully you`ll get it sorted soon. :thumbsup: i`d be a bit worried about him moving the car with a fork lift. :eek: