Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Horn Upgrade....

MJG

Some of you may be embarrassed to blow your horns because of the feeble output that emanates from a standard Corolla horn, I know I could never believe that such a pathetic 'squeak' could be deemed acceptable for such a car as a t-sport Corolla.

I have however found a solution.

Get yourself a Stebel Nautilus airhorn. :lol:

I got mine from www.speeding.co.uk for just £23. It comes in chrome (like mine), red or black.

These rather nifty units are a 12V airhorn compressor with two trumpets 'grafted' onto the side making a rather neat single unit installation (excepting the realy)

This is a pic of the unit in place:-

5beb42ce.jpg

Note the chosen position. It is very hard to find a lot of options for the installation due to space under the bonnet being very tight due to the clever way Toyota's engineers have crammed such a lot under the bonnet.

If it is not clear from the pic the unit is fitted directly under the Battery tray and can only be fitted there after being passed (two person job) from up under behind the front bumper and lower engine bay plastic tray.

The silver painted bracket is custom made (courtesy of my daughter's boyfriend) and is mounted in one of the two 10mm threaded bolt holes under the Battery tray. Hindsight would show it would be possible to use one of the Battery tray lower mounting bolts but I only spotted this after installation. :wacko:

To complete the installation the included relay has been stuck using a double sided sticky pad to the air cleaner box. The positive supply for this comes direct from the battery +ve via a 20 amp fuse and the 'switched' supply comes from the original horn supply wire which has to be extended.

Corollahorn004.jpg

Ensure you carefully follow the relay wiring instructions otherwise like me you will blow the horn fuse.....!!!! :angry:

Once I realised what I had done I quickly replaced this and all was well.

Sorted!!! :thumbsup:

Very good article you've done there.

Done that with some of my cars but I end up going for 5 tone 'Musical Air Horns' :lol:

I Olso have a Airhorn on my rolla it sounds very GOOD and HARD

But it was a whole lot off work

take a look at my homepage olmost on the bottom of the pages you can see how i have don it B)

I Olso have a Airhorn on my rolla it sounds very GOOD and HARD

But it was a whole lot off work

take a look at my homepage olmost on the bottom of the pages you can see how i have don it  B)

Yes when doing a search on the forum I believe I had found your post.

In doing so I thought there must be an easier way than removing my bumber to be able to get a loud horn...................

Nice mod. I was always embarrassed of the horn on my G6R, never used it really.

Have you stuck the relay to the bottom section of your air filter housing? You don't want anyone ripping it all out when they change the filter!!

Joe

Have you stuck the relay to the bottom section of your air filter housing?  You don't want anyone ripping it all out when they change the filter!!

Joe

No as should be clear from the second pic (sorry if it isn't) it is on the top section with enough play to be able to move this to one side to be able to replace the aircleaner element.... I thought of this before I stuck it there.

• 4 weeks later...
Some of you may be embarrassed to blow your horns because of the feeble output that emanates from a standard Corolla horn, I know I could never believe that such a pathetic 'squeak' could be deemed acceptable for such a car as a t-sport Corolla.

I have however found a solution.

Get yourself a Stebel Nautilus airhorn. :lol:

I got mine from www.speeding.co.uk for just £23. It comes in chrome (like mine), red or black.

These rather nifty units are a 12V airhorn compressor with two trumpets 'grafted' onto the side making a rather neat single unit installation (excepting the realy)

This is a pic of the unit in place:-

5beb42ce.jpg

Note the chosen position. It is very hard to find a lot of options for the installation due to space under the bonnet being very tight due to the clever way Toyota's engineers have crammed such a lot under the bonnet.

If it is not clear from the pic the unit is fitted directly under the battery tray and can only be fitted there after being passed (two person job) from up under behind the front bumper and lower engine bay plastic tray.

The silver painted bracket is custom made (courtesy of my daughter's boyfriend) and is mounted in one of the two 10mm threaded bolt holes under the battery tray. Hindsight would show it would be possible to use one of the  battery tray lower mounting bolts but I only spotted this after installation. :wacko:

To complete the installation the included relay has been stuck using a double sided sticky pad to the air cleaner box. The positive supply for this comes direct from the battery +ve via a 20 amp fuse and the 'switched' supply comes from the original horn supply wire which has to be extended.

Corollahorn004.jpg

Ensure you carefully follow the relay wiring instructions otherwise like me you will blow the horn fuse.....!!!! :angry:

Once I realised what I had done I quickly replaced this and all was well.

Sorted!!! :thumbsup:

Hi there. Thanks for the info on horns.

I've got one ready to fit but alas I've not played with relays before.

I've tried to marry up the pictures on the back of the box with the ones in your photo but I'm a bit stumped and want to be sure before I start grazing knuckles.

Can you can advise if my interpretation is correct as per your pic please?: 1) furthest from bracket with hole - 20A inline fused from +battery 2) White wire - positive from original horn wiring 3) Black wire closest to bracket - an earth 4) Lowest and remaining connection in pic - Also earthed.

Cheers hugely - I would have put up with the crap that is the original horn had I not seen your recommendation!! :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links