Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Radiator Protector

DrMR2

Just bought an MR2 and have read various bits and pieces about a radiator protector, to stop stones etc hitting it.

Do you guys recommend getting one and if so, where?

Cheers

(Wicked site by the way!)

Just bought an MR2 and have read various bits and pieces about a radiator protector, to stop stones etc hitting it.

Do you guys recommend getting one and if so, where?

Cheers

(Wicked site by the way!)

Yes! I would definately recommend getting one, they aren't expensive and they look good. It could save you quite a bit of time and money too because chances are your radiator will get damaged by stones if you go on the motorway or other fast roads a lot.

I just meshed the hole in the front ..

Yeah, here's what I did to mine, only cost £15

DSC00906.jpg

Nice work! Is it easy to fit? Did you use cable ties? Where did you get the mesh from?

Yes, where did u get the mesh from, will the black chip off?..

I'm still to mesh up my Border front.

Id be tempted to loose that centre bar, and black arms, have abit of an opening on the front !

But the mesh looks spot on !

I got the mesh from a local shop but I have seen the same stuff in Halfrauds (it was a bit more expensive though). I had to paint the mesh but I used loads of paint and none of it has chipped off yet, I think the secret is to use loads of primer to get the black paint to stick to the metal.

The cable ties are hidden behind the black virtical supports for the bar in the middle.

Id be tempted to loose that centre bar, and black arms, have abit of an opening on the front !

ehh.. i wouldnt recommend doing that. u will suffer from saggy bumper syndrome! but i agree, it does look good. did u have to take off the bumper to fit it?

ehh.. i wouldnt recommend doing that. u will suffer from saggy bumper syndrome! but i agree, it does look good. did u have to take off the bumper to fit it?

No, you dont need to take the bumper off, you can just take off the plastic cover above the radiator and top radiator supports then you can slide the mesh down from the top.

the mesh will almost always chip. Easily fixed tho with a tin of black paint.

You mean Rico can fix it with a tin of paint!

I used nice(right sized holes) speaker grille from an old job and glued it in place with special loudspeaker re-cone glue (ideal for bonding anything to metal).

I had it quite easy as my Rev3 didn't have aircon so I could get my hands and arms down inbetween the rad and bumpers to fite perfectly.

When I did Nicola's Rev2 we landed up cutting the mesh into 4 pieces and carefully slotting them in place between the aircon rad (which sits in front of the actual rad) and the bumper. I couldn't get my glue applicator in the right places so removed the vertical splitter support covers and cable-tied (very thin ties) the grilles in place and put the support covers back on to hide the ties. I see so many peopl just putting the ties arround these covers and it look really bad - especially if they use red, white or grey ties :wacko:

I would say a protector is worth it as a week or so after fitting mine a rather large stone wacked the grill. It hit with so much force it pulled the grille from it's glued fixing and put a huge dent in the grill. Rad was fine B) If the grille weren't there, the rad would have been holed for certain and cost however many hundreds of £££ to get replaced.