Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Investigation Into Oil Loss

sotal

yup, we discussed pcv eons ago in this saga.

hows it doing Sotal?

I've been offline for a while... its also worth while taking off the cam cover and cleaning the baffle that leads to the pcv. it will no doubt be blocked with crud (if it has a baffle that is)

anyone with an ST tried an oil condensor catch can?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sotal

• mikeb

• celica dave

• cookci

Hi Karl,

As you can gather the higher quality oil/thicker oil solution didn't work so there goes that theory!!

It's still a very odd problem but it's taking a while now because of the fact that I haven't been doing many miles in the car. I seem to have regained my confidence on the bike so that has been used about 70% of the time.

We discussed the PCV valve but didn't do much about it. I might just see how much one will cost and replace it - can't see it being much. I think all we did before was take it off and I looked at it and said yep it's not blocked with gunk!.

The cam cover and baffle cleaning sounds a bit too intense for me. Did you read about the ATF trick (think it was page 2 of this thread) have you ever tried that / do you think it's worth trying???

How the recovering coming along?? :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Well i've had my gen6 st for 4 months now and right from the start i knew it was gonna get expensive on oil as it has been blowing soot outta the exhaust so think the rings have gone as have been told that is the prob if your getting black smoke under acceleration

i take it replacing the rings is an expencive job ?

would like to get it done as the rest of the car is in very nice condition apart from the alloy i ******ed yesterday(!Removed! cyclists )

stripped out my pcv valve ...clean as a whistle and working ok,my exhaust is very sooty, told that its sooty due to overfueling and not the oil problem!so back to where we started..

try a new lambda sensor dave - www.justlambda.co.uk

I've got to say my exhaust is a little sooty, but my mechanic said it was normal and I don't get any black smoke. Fuel Consumption is good as well - I think it's around 45mpg but I'm just testing it on this tank load.

This is a rudding mystery mate.

recovery is good - but slow, put some weight back on and 'feel' fit but often get twinges and pain in the kidney area. just taking my time mate.

cheers.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I had similar consumption issues with one of my paseo's (5e-fe), it wasnt using a lot about the same as what you guys are getting, changing the rings cured the problem.

we came to the conclusion that its the piston rings :thumbsup:

yep just one ring one each piston I believe.

Usage is that low over winter I almost forget about it, it's just summer when it's a pain. In Summer it's a top up every time I fill the petrol up. In Winter it's every couple of months

• 1 year later...

Just a quick note that Diet Coke works wonders in freeing pistons and rings. I used a whole 4 liters in freeing up a 79 Firebird that sat for 7 years. I poured it in, hammered the pistons (all 8 were heavily rusted) and let it set for about a week. It doesn't have any sugar in it and if you remember science class, coke has a mild acidity. I would be a bit worried that ATF would do something to my catalyst converter but it's probaly lack of knowledge on my part.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links