Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Making My Celica Quicker?

eklipze

Hi, new here, wanted some addvice

I have a 1995 Celica 2.0 GT

Bassicly i want to make it as fast as i can, yes i know i could just get a GT4 but thats not an option at the mo

Ive had a PowerFlow Straight thru exhaust done and a K&N 57i induction kit fitted

what else can i do to add to BHP?

remap the ECU? what sort of gain will that give? and what companys should i look at for getting it done

the other thing is, rear lights!!!!!!! only ones ive found are some afterburner ones but they are £250!!!!

apreciate any feedback

Pete

Hi, new here, wanted some addvice

I have a 1995 Celica 2.0 GT

Bassicly i want to make it as fast as i can, yes i know i could just get a GT4 but thats not an option at the mo

Ive had a PowerFlow Straight thru exhaust done and a K&N 57i induction kit fitted

what else can i do to add to BHP?

remap the ECU? what sort of gain will that give? and what companys should i look at for getting it done

the other thing is, rear lights!!!!!!! only ones ive found are some afterburner ones but they are £250!!!!

apreciate any feedback

Pete

Welcome to the Club, and I used to have the K and N induction kit but then I saw the error of my ways and went with Power Tec just a tiny bit more BHP but nothing major, you could always add a turbo!!!!!!

Welcome to TOC Pete. :thumbsup: Have a look in the Gen 6 stickies at the top of the page. There`ll be links to various sites and related stuff. Should be able to glean a good bit of info from there.

I`ll tell you now. to get decent performance increases from a N/A car is going to cost mucho wonga. A remap will help slightly, but you only really need to remap an engine to support any modifications you make to it. So really it`s a final stage mod. You need to be looking at maybe having the engine blueprinted, balanced, lightened components, inproved fueling, aggresive cams and then get the whole lot mapped on a rolling road. It`ll cost a fortune. And the end result won`t really justify the expense.

You could also consider lightening the car. Celicas are a little bit on the roly poly side. If you can shed a couple of hundredweight that`d help a lot. Depends really on what sort of performance your after. :thumbsup:

bassicly i want to be able to beat my m8s BMW 328i :) i want to aim for a sub 7sec 0-60

i mean with the airfilter and exhaust the remap should do it some use shouldnt it?

standard 0-60 is 7.9?

oh yeah and the other thing, how much would it cost roughly to turbo it then

bassicly i want to be able to beat my m8s BMW 328i :) i want to aim for a sub 7sec 0-60

i mean with the airfilter and exhaust the remap should do it some use shouldnt it?

standard 0-60 is 7.9?

Your best bet is to let his tyres down... :lol: Only kidding.

The K&N isn`t that clever really.The problem with any cone filter is that unless it`s in a cold air fed box it`ll be sucking in vast amounts of hot air from the engine bay. This is not to the benefit of the engine. The best filter modification would be to get a TRD flat panel filter to replace the standard one in the airbox. Then you need to get as much cold air as possible into the airbox. Have a look at this link. coocki and kevstir have both done this and apparently the results are favourable. Airbox mod

The powerflow exhaust is an ok product and maybe of benefit. You can get the car remapped but don`t expect it to set the tarmac alight afterwards.

The BMW 328`s motor is a veritable beast of an engine. I know i`ve had a couple. The main thing with the BMW is torque. He`ll be able to shift sooner and hold the gear longer which makes it a !Removed! fast car in the gears. For example his 30 - 60 will obliterate a celica if your in the wrong gear. The celica thrives on revs. Keep her above 4500 RPM and you`ll be in the maximum poewer/torque range of the engine. Good driving can give you valuable seconds.

I assume this is all going to happen off road. :thumbsup:

I had a quote recently and it was 4 grand, for that you could get an okish GT4

Don`t even think about putting a turbo on your engine. It`ll cost a lot less to get & insure a GT4. Then you`d have the advantage of 4WD as well.

I had a quote recently and it was 4 grand, for that you could get an okish GT4

And on top of that your insurance company would crucify you. :yes:

"I assume this is all going to happen off road. "

obviously ;)

i mean does .7 of a second make that much difference? will it come down to driving ability more then anything?

only had the celica since jan i love it but keep wishing id gone for the GT4

but insurance was just to high (im 23 and only been driving 2 years in august)

i have a heat sheild on the K&N and a cold air scoop which goes from underneath the front of the car which takes air up directing onto the K&N, its not inclosed tho

the only other thing ive done to it is had 17s put on it

http://hcpete.homestead.com/files/Image_011_.jpg

pic from camera fone so not to good

Looks fine... Not a great lover of the gen6 styling - as others will testify :lol: But they`re still a fine car. :thumbsup: The 17`s can be a disadvantage. Depends on weight/tyres fitted. But basically you`ve got more mass/unsprung weight to get moving. Weight is a limiting factor in any sort of race environment. An example would be. If you`ve got a passenger who weighs 15 stone (210pounds) you`ll probably notice the effect it has on the cars performance/handling. If you`ve got three f 'em you`ll definately notice :lol:

Now take 210 pounds off the car and you`ll notice the difference there too. It all comes down to how far you want to go.

It`s not so much ability. We`ve nearly all of us got the ability. It`s how you translate that ability into your driving. Reading the road/track, Knowing exactly what your car and most importantly you are capable of. Knowing when to brake, best place to put the power on etc. Suppose it comes down to practice really. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I'm joining in :D

Ive been through this allready with my NA 3sge and havent finished ;)

1. get the exhaust out efficiently (not necessarily a bigger bore)

2. get more air in

3. and if necessary more fuel

4. timing

5. forced induction (Turbo/Super charging, nitrous)

6. cool induction charges

and thats about it, you dont need to adjust the ecu until you have to add fuel past the maps, big bore isnt necessarily best, nitrous has quick results which will be measured, these are all external routes and far simpler than cams or rebore to more CC etc, they can be taken off, just make sure putting them on doesnt ruin the car and make sure they have the desired results.

Do you want more rpm, torque later or sooner? quick response on the throttle? wider power band, and agressive shift in power?

you want the car to driveable all the time, not just when beating a 2.8i BMW.

The quickest would be 50 hp of nitrous.

I went custom exhaust and short ram induction with 50HP nitrous and gained about 60BHP at 4500 rpm above spec listing at 6500RPM so I was very pleased with the gains and the car was noticeably as quick as a 250bhp Celica GT4, bear in mind though my boost ran out.

Nitrous is a part time mod.

Like anything when trying to uprate the power on a stock car, do everything after fully researching the gains you want, weigh them up with 'everyday' driving and make all mods feel good.

there are loads of folks out there running quicker times with their NA celica's, it all depends how far you want to go.

Best of luck and enjoy your celica.

Welcome to TOC :D

Yep. Agree with Karl on the Nitrous move. But for pitties sake make sure your engine is in good order. If there`s a weakness the NO2 will find it. Probably ok with a 25 -50 shot but any higher you should be careful. :thumbsup:

I know of a couple of guys running 150hp direct port progressive nitrous and considering upping to 200hp and more :D both running rev 2 3sge's

if the engine is looked after and as long as you continue to look after it, a rev 3 3SGE should have no problem with bursts of 200hp nitrous, its the massive torque increase that does the trick, getting it down on the front wheels takes some thinking about - but if its progressive you need not worry - there would be a hardcore bunch of GT4 owners asking you for a Qtr mile drag to measure manhood, never mind BMW's :lol:

nitrous is very misunderstood, its quite simple really, its the engine that takes time to master, get a good balance of both and nitrous realy works.

anyway, nitrous is big league - how far do you want to go eklipze?

cheers

17's will make a small difference in your pull away from stock 15's/16's, ive got jasma manifold, de-cat kakimoto exhaust and keep up with most BM's fine.

not read your all the posts but my brother has a BMW 328 and i have an SS2 and we have raced many times...

have u got any results from ur drags as to which is quicker?

basically his car jumps in front of mine of the line but he cant lose me and eventualy (very eventually) i real him in and like by the side of him after a 1 mile stretch.

Nitrous is realistically your best option to get more power from your engine. The other thing to look at is making more efficient use of the power you have. Replace the PAS and water pumps with electric ones, that'll free a few otherwise wasted horses. Fit an oversized alternator pulley and use 10w-30 oil.

Not sure if you've done a decat or not, but that will free up 5hp. Sorry but I don't rate powerflow exhausts at all. Use an aftermarket panel filter in the standard air box.

As for the ECU, a unichip or an emanage are your best options, but you need a reputable rolling road to map them for you.

agree with all mike says. panel filter modded airbox. remove throttle heater and add decat . thin oil gives u a few HP's too (i run 5w/30 - just be careful not too wrag it too much on very hot days). Would be interested to hear outcome of a oversized alternator pulley?

TBH you would probably get more HP with the standard exhaust imo

if u join the GT4OC and use the club insurance, it may work out cheaper than u think.

lets be honest, the only way ur gonna have a really fast celica is to get a GT4, unless u have a huge bank balance to mod ur N/A gen 6.

One question alot of poeple over look when spending money on more BHP is, is my engine giving me the standerd BHP anyway? don't forget your cars getting on for 10 years of age now and a good service can do wonders. I brought my Celica GT a few months back and to be honest i was alittle disapointed with the perforance for a 170bhp engine. So i decided to take a few days off and service it. My car has a part toyota service history but man you should have seen the black sludge that come out the gearbox! :o and the fuel filter looked like it had never been changed! so after:

Plugs: Bosch super 4

engine oil: Castrol Magnatech 5w/30 (recomended to use this by a toyota main dealer)

toyota oil filter

gearbox oil: AMSOIL 75W-90

Toyota air filter also moded the airbox by removing resonance box (sounds alot nicer now :D )

toyota fuel filter

And cleaned the inlet with carb cleaner and injectors with a fuel additive.

the cars feels so much better! :eek: with lot better response and less flat spots though the range. All i need to do now is find that pug 106 i lost a race to the other day!! and see what happens now! man i was well embarrassed :(

Tim you were referring to an off road incident of course.

Off road.. no way! we were off the lights like a couple of nutty grandads, shifting

hard, hitting 1500rpm in every gear! and pulling are speed upto a steady 30mph, i

just knew the jammy git had me when he flicked his aircon off and shot to 35mph!

bummer :rolleyes:

Yeah.. It`s a real sod when they do that. Good job for him a copper wasn`t around. 35 in a 30.... tsk tsk :thumbsup:

very true :D i like the look of your car by the way martin I was Looking to get the same kit on the one i brought but ended up getting the later one with the crappy side skirts only :( Are those skirts toyota own? or they after market? badly need to get them installed asap. (sorry to talk off topic :unsure: )

Thanks V mucho 4 the nice worms.

I am afraid to say I dont know I got the Celica (wen I joined) a few weeks ago and it was as it looks now. The chap sait it was all TRD stuff inc the body kit but I really dont know. I have not spotted TRD or any other name on any of the kit you that u can see. sorry

It's not much of a body kit but fairly makes a difference I think