Do Not Sell My Personal Information

No Sump Plug Washer - Urgent, Please Advise

acf8181

just doin an oil change in my rev2 UK n/a, and having removed the sump plug there appears to be no washer (there is a ring around where the plug goes into the sump, but pretty sure its part of the sump and not the washer stuck to it).

toyota sold me a washer for it, so shoudl there be one there?

well, woudl be the first car i've ever seen without if it didn't need one....just don't wanna throw it all back on with the washer and find it to be leaking (wasn't b4).

Should have a gasket without a doubt !! They often stick to the sump face and need a little tap with a small screwdriver to get them off(or they fall into the container you are catching the oil in).Ensure you fit the new gasket or it WILL LEAK !!!!

cheers...there is some kind of ring around the whole in the sump, but it doesn't appear to be a squashed on washer. is there a reinforced ring as well as the washer?

No... just one fiber washer between the sump and the plug... no copper/aluminium compression washers. You must have one or it will leak.

Changed my oil just yesterday.

well, its all done now.

i'm now paranoid i've ended up with 2 washers on there...put my mind at rest and tell me that wouldn't cause a prob anyway?

Ideally should have just used the one... but the sump plug has a long thread on it, which could easily accomodate another washer.

The down side though is that the washer is merely there to seal a joint between two metal surfaces... not a joint between two fabric washers. As long as you cranked it up tight enough, you should be OK... but next time, just use the one.

Might be worth checking it in about 300 miles time to see if you've got any leakage. By then you might want to just nip it up a little as well.

thats what i wanted to hear, cheers :)

i have been watching for leaks, but the only oil ending up on the floor for sure is the stuff i spilt down the engine! if its is leaking form the plug it is a few very very small drops, level is fine thats for sure.

cheers for the advice guys.

thats what i wanted to hear, cheers :)

i have been watching for leaks, but the only oil ending up on the floor for sure is the stuff i spilt down the engine! if its is leaking form the plug it is a few very very small drops, level is fine thats for sure.

cheers for the advice guys.