Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help Needed

paul_g0hwc

I have a P reg celica. It had front end damage repair B4 i got it.

The ABS light stays on. is there a reset?

Paul

Common problem are the wheel sensors. Check the ECU for any stored fault codes to narrow it down a bit.

If no fault codes are present,disconnect the battery(negative/earth lead) for 4-5mins and see if light comes on again when car is driven and brakes applied.

:thumbsup:

take the efi fuse out and press the brake to reset the ecu , too many peeps take the Battery off and forget the radio has a code.

Ive got a similar problem my 4ws light has started to stay on all the time.

1993 gen 5 tried taking the Battery off for half a hour but the light is still on.

Any help would be great.

cheers

With Terminals Tc + E1 bridged on the diagnostic link and the ignition switch On, pump the brake pedal 8 times or more WITHIN 3 seconds to clear the ECU - the check light should flash every 0.25 secs if no codes are stored.

Do you mean by bridged by using a piece of wire on the 2 terminals or is there a device to bridge them.

Cheers

Normal piece of insulated wire with each end stripped to go into the terminals.

Do you actually have to check for engine fault codes? I thought they showed up by showing the engine light or whatever is faulty?

What I mean to say is - if there are no warning lights when you are driving could there be "stored" codes which need the terminal bridging to see??

Do you actually have to check for engine fault codes? I thought they showed up by showing the engine light or whatever is faulty?

Hi sotal,

On the engine management side,when the ECU get's a signal outside the preset parameters - it will put the Engine Management Light "on" the dash to inform you there is a problem.The ECU will then put a substitute value in so you can "Limp Home" as opposed to "Walk Home".

You then have to bridge the Diagnostic Link to access the fault code stored in the ECU to diagnose the fault.

A common fault used to be Code 43 (Starter.Signal) - if the vehicle was "Bump started" the ECU would not get the signal from the Starter Motor and put the light on.

That's how I thought it would be. Just making sure that I didn't need to periodically check the ECU to see if any codes were stored :thumbsup:

Ive got a similar problem my 4ws light has started to stay on all the time.

1993 gen 5 tried taking the battery off for half a hour but the light is still on.

Any help would be great.

cheers

you need to check the fluid levels for the 4ws , error codes thrown up by 4ws are down to 1 of the 4 pumps on the wheels , or the master pump has failed.

with reference to joining e1 and tc gen 6 owners please take note of the silver briging pin sitting in the diagnostics box, this has got to be removed in order to test the abs system , failure can result in ecu damage or shorting.

fault codes are 1 of 4

31 , 32 is either front or rear cant remember which and 35 , 36 .

1 way to find out which wheel is bust , is to slam on the brakes and the wheel that locks up is the broken sensor. :thumbsup: