Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Off Work

stevetubbyturbo

as some of you may have noticed i have not been on here much lately as ive been in and out of hospital as on wednesday i recived a eletric shock at work whilst dismantaling a machine is was told was isolated from the mains or so i was told.

on the monday the works electrician came and disconected the main power feed to the machine and i watched him do it and then i asked him is there anyway i could get a shock off the machine and he told me no not unless i stuck my fingers into the feed box and turned it on which obviously im not going to do.

I started to dismantal the machine and removed all the electric motors as they were to be salvaged and that was the end of my day.

On the tuesday i didnt get chance to work on it a one of my work mates took a day of so i had to do his work as it was more important than getting this machine in bits.

and now its wednesday a day i will never forget.

Im working away and ive only got the control box to remove and a couple of hunderd wires to get off so i have a word with my boss and he said just cut the wires as i will take you forever to disconect them all so i start cutting and ive got through most of them and head off for my tea break.

Tea break over time to get this job finished i get back into the room get out my side cutters and cut through the second from last wire BANG its still live and im sitting on the other side of the room and have a sharp pain in my chest and left arm and i can hardly breath, i manage to get to my feet and get my radio and call for help and then fall to the floor and pass out.

Next thing i know i got two paramedics over me and my shirt is off and i have all these leads on my chest going to a box to check my rate and its all over the place im quickly loaded into a ambulance and off to hospital as quick as the driver could.

Im out of hospital now but ive still got a hellish pain in my chest and arm from where i was thrown and all my musles are torn on most of my left side and ive been told i could i am very luckly to even be alive after having 240 volts at 15 amps as the electricain only disconnected one of the power feeds but the machine had two.

Sorry for the esay

Steve

Awwwwwwww hun! That sounds awful :(

I've had a few shocks before in my last job, but luckily nothing major.

Hope you get better soon :group-cuddles:

Good job your okay! :yes: Sounds like your really lucky! :o

Hope you feel better soon! :thumbsup:

Cheers Guys and girls i feel better already

:group-cuddles:

Sounds like you've been very lucky there mate!

Hope everything heals up sharpish...

have you been injured at work by an accident that wasnt your fault? ring......

sounds like you were working with a great electrician, think he owes you a few beers.

Wow that's shocking, very bad error by the Electrician.

Glad you are ok tho, hope the pain eases off soon.

Blue

Wow... 240 @ 15A ... thats nasty...

I got a shock off some dodgy French mains socket once when i was little... was only out for a few seconds tho...

We used to have a 63A 3 phase and a 128A single phase at uni that we used for the gigs etc.... always made me nervy

Glad you are ok tho!

Cheers

The pain is not to bad as long as i take the painkillers but they make me very drowsey but if i dont take them it just kills.

As for getting compensation at the moment im considering it as none of the bosses from work have bothered to call and see how i am and i didnt think my work place was like that as their normally very careing and considerate and from what one of my work mate told me this morning is no one is allowed to talk about it as if they are trying to brush it under the carpet and pretend nothing happend and even some people think im off with flu.

cos what theyve done is against health and safety regulations, you were left unsupervised workin with electrical equipment! it could cost them a fortune in fines! is there an accident form for you to sign? make sure you check it properly, last place i worked were very sly and used wording to accuse worked of negligence. keep taking those painkillers (just dont get hooked) and have a speedy recovery

Sorry to hear that fella!!!

I have heard all sorts of odd staries about electricity and what it can do (my CEO was an eletornic engineer, pylons, etc)

Heres to a speedy recovery!!

Hope you get well soon buddy.

I can't believe the amount of people that have said "shocking" so far...

:D

I can't believe the amount of people that have said "shocking" so far...

:D

Most people try to fit a pun in a 'current' topic !

Steve,

get well soon mate

Glad your ok..

Health and safety will be all over your work, and you will probably get a home visit from them too, I did after a fall at work.

Keep a note of everything that is said and done, and find out how long you have before starting procedures for any claim you might be entitled to. In Scotland i'm sure its 3 years from the date of the accident.

I didn't claim my work, i get on well with my boss, he is also a friend, but if you feel that you deserve compensation for this terrible accident, get a good lawer and go for it.

Glad you're on the mend mate :)

I'd say that's a definite RIDDOR and your company should have contacted the HSE immidiately. You could have a case on your hands so be prepared.

Joe

That is a RIDDOR if he had time off work - i sit next to the health and safety manager at work and hear him going on about it all the time

you should receive a visit from your health and safety manager and the HSE as well, have you got visible injuries? you should take some photos for the report, if you feel the need to claim then they will be useful for that too

it stinks that they havent been in touch! i would feel really disapointed by that - they know they are in trouble thats why they have told people not to mention it :angry:

All my injurys are internal

I know very little about the procedues that should take place could anyone explain what my work place should be doing and what does RIDDOR mean as i have not got a clue.

I also have a fear that my work my try to pin this on me as my site supervisor is an out and out liar so i could really have a fight on my hands.

Ive also spoken to a solicitor and she said from what ive said none of this is my fault and my work place was neglagent (cant spell) and placed me in a position of danger which could have lead to my death and if i want she will take it on with pleasure if i decide to go ahead with a compensation claim.

!Removed! Hell mate!, glad to hear you are ok

sorry to hear about your company not being as considerate as you thought they were :(

Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations

They have to by law report your accident to the HSE - Health and safety executive if it meets certian critera - and any time off work is one of those

record everything you can remember about the accident - down to the words that everyone said and who instructed you to cut the wires etc dates and times aswell ;)

RIDDOR stands for - Reporting of Injuries Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations. It usually takes effect if someone has been injured at work and is off for more than 3 days. However in the case you have described it is required by law that your company reports it to the HSE immediately!

I have had a fair amount of training within this area being in the work I'm in.

Click the link to be enlightened! RIDDOR

Joe

Make sure that this is reported in the "accident book" with as much detail as you can remember.

You don't have to fill it in yourself it can be done for you. :thumbsup:

That sound like a terrible expeirence, what makes it worse is the seeming lack of care from your employers, you would think they would be round yours feeding you grapes and kissing your a**e a bit more I know mine would! yea get yourself a soliciter and screw them if you can i know i would, its full on negligence on their part (is the electrician employed by the same people as you?) but first get well and milk the doc for loads of time off when your better so you can get some quality boat time in B)