Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Front Diff On 1990 St185 Gt4

SamK1984

Been looking at a lovely gt4 and he wants peanuts for it, because its got a noisy front diff. Would getting a replacement front diff be costly/difficult? And what other problems could having a naff front diff have caused to the car??

He says it`s the diff. Is he sure? If it is i think you can just change the transfer box. Bit of a pig to do i believe :unsure:Not done one myself. But cheap enough. Seen them going on eBay for around £200. If he`s selling it for next to nowt could be a cheap fix. Result. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

also ..what noise?... grinding sound of someone stirring a bag of spanners or what?

ive been looking into the diffs as im wondering if theres a limited slip in there ... still no idea ...but it does look nasty ...stripping etc to get at it ... I NEED A WORKSHOP!!!!!!...or 2 weeks of no rain during holidays :P

also ..what noise?...  grinding sound of someone stirring a bag of spanners or what?

ive been looking into the diffs as im  wondering if theres a limited slip in there ... still no idea ...but it does look nasty ...stripping etc to get at it ... I NEED A WORKSHOP!!!!!!...or 2 weeks of no rain during holidays :P

I could be wrong but i think the GT4`s got a torsen LSD. :unsure:

If it's the same one as I've seen Online - he's been trying to flog it for a while(and dropping the price). Phone round a few breakers or do an online part request for a gearbox+transfer box for it to give you an idea if it's worth it.

It is easier to remove the engine and transaxle together(drop it out from underneath) to change the gearbox/diff/transfer box. When your ready to split the transaxle from the engine,you need to pull the box back about 2-3",swing the back of the box to the right and then pull back to seperate it ( not a lot of clearance between the transfer box and the engine block - thats why it's easier to do it on the floor !! )

Hope some of this help's you

:thumbsup:

i can get you a transfer box for a good price ;) only trouble would be transporting it.

Evilsean, only the CS/RC 185's came with a LSD at the rear and a very select lucky few late model's, oh, and the 205's ofcourse.

easy test, get both back wheels of the ground, spin one wheel, if the other spins at the same rate then it's a LSD

I replaced my g/box and diff the other week..Well when i say 'I',i really mean my brother and another mechanic...I a very well equiped garage....

Thay'll NEVER do another :ffs:

Even though thay're both very good mechanics thay both swear that it was one of the most annoying/heavy job thay've ever done..I paid them £300 to fit it and have given them another £50 since to buy them a few beers and a curry to get over it :thumbsup:

The box and transfer box was £230.I got it of a fellow GT4OC member.It's a Carlos Sainz box,and allthough the ratios are longer than that of my old box,it's a very tight and sound box ;)

I even asked a guy down the road who used to work for Toyota's WRC team and has fitted loads of them..He really didn't fancy taking on another :censor:

The other chap i asked quoted me 2 1/2 days labour @ £30 an hour[as if] :P

BEST OF LUCK... :thumbsup:

thnx for the response guys. decided to steer clear. sounds bit too much hassle. found another beauty anyway! thanks again!!! :thumbsup: