Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

My Accident Pt2

Yaris_VVTi

After Reading The Info Below, Should I Get The Car Repaired Or Not?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. After Reading The Info Below, Should I Get The Car Repaired Or Not?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not Sure

pretty stupid to turn it into a poll really, but i wanted to see what people think.

For people that don't know, here is basically what happened to me two months ago:

I was driving to work on a saturday morning, whilst using one of the biggest ring roads in the midlands (its a nightmare). On the left hand side of me there was a local bus full of people, we both left the roundabout at the same time in different lanes (me left him right), then the fool decided to come into my lane without indicating so i broke as hard as i could but he managed to catch the front drivers side of my car, causing a deep indentation on the driver-side wing:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y273/Az3eM/Image007.jpg

The following morning i reported the accident to the police, who said it could take up to 3 MONTHS (shock horror - NOT) to complete. This week i had a phone call from the investgating officer who said the bus driver made counter-allegations against my driving, but in the end decided to pay through the bus companies insurance for the repair.

Just wondering if i should go ahead with the "free" repairs with nothing concrete given by either the police or the bus company with the repairs - i could even blag my ugly grey bumpers getting resprayed too:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y273/Az3eM/96ec8715.jpg

The old man doesnt think its wise to go ahead with it unless there isnt anything given in writing, i kinda agree but i really want the bumpers doing. All of the repairs including the bumper resprays and the wing repairs come to £571. Should i go ahead with the repair, or not? What do you think people? :eek::wacko: ;)

You cant be too greedy my lad!! Surely they'd realise that the extent of the damage wouldnt be worth £571, it doent look that bad to be honest mate?

I think you need to ring the bus company and get them to tell you the best way to do it. They might just say get the job done then send them the bill?

You cant be too greedy my lad!! Surely they'd realise that the extent of the damage wouldnt be worth £571, it doent look that bad to be honest mate?

I think you need to ring the bus company and get them to tell you the best way to do it. They might just say get the job done then send them the bill?

thats the thing... what if i get the car done and then they dont pay! :P i got a deliberately high quote - half of that is labour and parts. but they will not have seen the damage cuz the driver drove off (effectively a hit and run job) and nobody needs to see it until after its repaired so how they gonna have any idea of how bad the damage was? :P

Why don't you have a word with the bus company and tell them where you want it to get repaired as they will probably use the cheapest place they can find.

Get a lawyer or a solicitor, and make sure it's official

Why don't you have a word with the bus company and tell them where you want it to get repaired as they will probably use the cheapest place they can find.

....and make sure it's official

yeah ill phone them up tomorrow, and ill post an update later tomorrow.

get in writing that the bus company is going to pay out from the bus company and then go ahead with it

get in writing that the bus company is going to pay out from the bus company and then go ahead with it

The man speaks words of wisdom!

Get everything in writing - whatever they say, promise, pledge - GET IT IN WRITING!

Its very easy for a company to promise something and then "change their minds!"

Best of luck matey!

will phone them up tomorrow, and DEMAND it in writing...! thanks for the advice people. :D

go down there mate, face to face, they'll fob you off otherwise,

went through this myself, me and my dad went down there, showed them we meant business...

Right have you spoken to the bus companies insurer?

If not then I suggest you do!! Confirm with them that they are paying for your repairs, get a claim reference and the name of who you speak too.

It will be the bus insurer who pays at the end of it, it's worth calling them and discussing it with them.

When you say go ahead with the free repairs who would do them for you? Who would authorise them?

I work in Motor Insurance Claims and do Policyholder claims but also have been trained on Third Party Claims too so kinda know how both sides work.

Blue

Right have you spoken to the bus companies insurer?

If not then I suggest you do!! Confirm with them that they are paying for your repairs, get a claim reference and the name of who you speak too.

It will be the bus insurer who pays at the end of it, it's worth calling them and discussing it with them.

When you say go ahead with the free repairs who would do them for you? Who would authorise them?

I work in Motor Insurance Claims and do Policyholder claims but also have been trained on Third Party Claims too so kinda know how both sides work.

Blue

Well my nearest Mr.T get all their bodywork, etc repairs done from a place called SprayStation in bilston - im sure Kimi has heard of it. They're "Approved" so to speak. Im just about to phone them, and see what theyre saying...otherwise - weather permitting - im gonna spray the bumpers myself this weekend. Let you know later today what theyve said.

The thing that you need to bear in mind is who is going to authorise them? are you going to get the repairs done yourself and then claim this money back??

The thing that you need to bear in mind is who is going to authorise them? are you going to get the repairs done yourself and then claim this money back??

absloute joke. i told the police officer dealing with my case two months ago that i didnt want to raise my insurance any higher than it already is, (its nearly £2000, i'm 18 - its so high cuz im under a parents name but stupid elder bro wrote off a £15000 Mx-5 last year which was his own fault).

i was planning to get the repairs done myself, but after phoning the bus company they claim to have "not heard anything" about this so im literally back at square one. not gonna bother with it no more, just gonna leave it as it is. typical midlands bast**ds police not being able to do anything. its just pathetic.

(the short version is now theyre not gonna pay anything and if i do want any money im gonna have to file a new claim, which im likely to lose due to my age, and the fact that the accident was two months ago.)

DIABOLICAL AND POINTLESS. what a :censor: waste of time.

Sorry if I seem to be saying the same thing, but you really should call the insurer direct and not the bus company! Do you know who they are?

I hope I have not misunderstood this thread, but did you say that you hoped to be able to get your grey bumpers sprayed at the bus companies expense?

If so I feel that you are in for another dissapointment as that is known as "betterment" which is not allowed under insurance claims.

Sorry if this is not what you wanted to hear, but you should only be able to claim for the actual damage caused by the bus............anything else could be classed as insurance fraud.....(a very serious offence)

I hope I have not misunderstood this thread, but did you say that you hoped to be able to get your grey bumpers sprayed at the bus companies expense?

If so I feel that you are in for another dissapointment as that is known as "betterment" which is not allowed under insurance claims.

Sorry if this is not what you wanted to hear, but you should only be able to claim for the actual damage caused by the bus............anything else could be classed as insurance fraud.....(a very serious offence)

well yes..and no. thing is, as shown in the picture i posted earlier the damage is just on the front driver side and over the wheel arch, so i dont really want to go through my insurance company for that Blue84! ah, it doesnt matter no more anyway.

well yes..and no. thing is, as shown in the picture i posted earlier the damage is just on the front driver side and over the wheel arch, so i dont really want to go through my insurance company for that Blue84! ah, it doesnt matter no more anyway.

Ooh yeah I forgot to say about that Betterment thing, Red is very right about that.

I don't mean your insurer..see some insurers allow "Third Parties" aka the people involved in accidents with their Policyholders to contact them and claim off of them directly. The company I work for does. For example one of our Policyholders hit a Third Party in the Rear, the Third Party only has Third Party Fire and Theft cover on their own policy so cannot claim for the damage done to their vehicle off their TPFT policy. Said third party calls us, asks us to help. We arrange repairs for him and a courtesy car whilst his is in for repair. He doesnt need a courtesy car before as he only has slight rear bumper damage and car is still driveable. And voila Third Party repairs are done, TP doesn't pay excess nor does he claim on his own insurance. See what I mean?

Do you know what company the Bus is insured with? Equity Red Star and Norwich Union are two bus insurers that I know of so it could possibly be one of those. I know it's hassle, and you've said you don't wanna do it but you aren't at fault, you said so yourself. You should get the damage repaired which you haven't caused.

PS: You are meant to report any accident you've had to your insurance even if you dont want to claim. Just another bit of advice..

I'll shut up now ;)

Blue

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links