Do Not Sell My Personal Information

We All Know The Ave Mpg Is Wrong

Vloothuis

As we all know the Average MPG is wrong on all of our cars. But how wrong can your car be.

After nearly 400 miles in my '03 T3-X 1.8 I managed to get 56.2mpg.....

Now I know you can all beat that, but by how much???

The challenge is on!!

Good Luck :thumbsup:

since we are using kilometers and liters overhere, I need somewhere to convert km/l or l/100km ;-)

since we are using kilometers and liters overhere, I need somewhere to convert km/l or l/100km ;-)

If you hit the center knob on the display unit your litres/km should flash then turn knob clockwise and it will show mpg. Doing tha same again will transfer it back to litres/km. Maybe that's not available with you but try anyway.

As for mine, I'm out as I'm generally averaging 40 - 42mpg but display is showing 30mpg when tank is full. When tank goes below half it gets better and moves up to around 35mpg. Waste of time ......... :(

That I do know, and mine can show avg mpg, but I thought we were asked for the real mpg :-)

This was a topic a while back on the 4x4 section - I queried my error with the local dealer and they changed the unit - it is now within 0.2mpg accuracy - seems the units have a fault in their program - dealer tried to argue that a 13 - 15% error was acceptable (flashed me some Toyota headed paperwork but didn't let me read it propoerly !?!) - I said fine but mine is 25 - 30% out - he then offered to change unit under warranty but would not guarrantee an improvement - I had now't to lose so they did the swap a month ago and the unit is now very close to reality :D

As I read it is the average mpg on the display since they are way inaccurate. Correct me Vloothuis if I am mis-reading.

I was mightily pleased with 58.6mpg after a week of motorway driving, until I checked with my own spreadsheet (see other post) and it ended up being about 43.4mpg.....Quite a difference!!!

there is no way im ever going to beat those figures...hee hee :P :D :P

Just use Google and write "56mpg in l/100km". It works.

T.

Just use Google and write "56mpg in l/100km". It works.

T.

Well - the best reading BC have shown me was 40,2mpg where my real usage was 43 :thumbsup:

Normally it shows about 2 mpg from the correct, the wrong way :!Removed!: .. my real average mpg for the 8.000 miles I've covered in it, is 35,3 mpg

Trip computer on my Avencis 1.8VVti 2002 is not that far out. Usually about 2 mpg lower than actual - it gives me a decent guide (but I only use it as a guide).

For those of you giving wild figures, get your local dealer to check out your unit.

Trip computer on my Avencis 1.8VVti 2002 is not that far out. Usually about 2 mpg lower than actual - it gives me a decent guide (but I only use it as a guide).

For those of you giving wild figures, get your local dealer to check out your unit.

Since I bought mine in May this year ('03 2.0L T-Spirit) my average MPG is 26.8MPG (real MPG not the display MPG), which I though was OK for the car, or is this too low? The display MPG is probably within 10% of this.

I have the T Spirit 2.0L auto and the av fuel consumption will vary from 34.2 to 38.5 mpg depending on journey type. If I do a couple of very short trips the average for that tank full will drop to 32mpg. All in all its still better than the ofiicial Toyota figures though.

I noticed if I use super u/L I can get over 40 mpg.

after computing fuel costs for two years and 52000 miles driven average consumption works out to 38.6 mpg.

I only use the figures as a guide to monitor that the fuel systems are still OK. Any sudden or significant change would indicate trouble brewing in the management system.

I have the T Spirit 2.0L auto and the av fuel consumption will vary from 34.2 to 38.5 mpg depending on journey type. If I do a couple of very short trips the average for that tank full will drop to 32mpg.  All in all its still better than the ofiicial Toyota figures though.

I noticed if I use super u/L I can get over 40 mpg.

after computing fuel costs for two years and 52000 miles driven average consumption  works out to 38.6 mpg.

I only use the figures as a guide to monitor that the fuel systems are still OK. Any sudden or significant change would indicate trouble brewing in the management system.

Hmmm... same car as mine (T Spirit 2.0L Auto) but my average MPG over the last 3000 Miles has been 26.8Mpg, would this indicate a problem?

I bought the car with 25500 mile and it now has 28500 miles, however, I've just had the second servcie done yesterday (8000 miles late), would this cause that much of a drop in MPG? Should I be worried?

I suspect a part of the problem may be that I've driven Toyota Celicas for the last 7 years, so this is quite a different car for me to drive and I sometimes still try to drive it like a celica...which it doesn't like...

Any adive appreciated

I would hazard a guess that you guys with the 26.8 mpg with a 2.0Ltr (not 1.8 VVti like mine) is about right ASSUMING it is stop/start around town driving with average of circa 20-25 MPH.

I have had my Avensis '53 plate (new Pre-Reg model) D4 2.0 Ltr petrol manual hachback for about a month and have done some 600 miles almost all around town driving and just reading the computer, I am averaging about 27 or 28 mpg.

This is about the same as I was getting with my previous car, a 2.5 V6 Vectra. No doubt this figure will improve when the running period is over.

On my Vectra, like other cars I have seen, you can reset the average mpg figure at any time and so can obtain a journey mpg. This will highlight, for example, the difference between consumption on a short town journey and one when travelling long distances often on the motorway. If you just leave it to run, you can get an all-time figure.

It seems ridiculous to me that you should have to go to this messing about to get some idea as to how your Avensis is performing because of the shortcomings that have been highlighted. I don't expect the computer readouts to be 100% accurate, but if they have been supplied, you should have more control of them like you can on many other cars.

Agree 65special, not being able to reset the average mpg is a real pain.

You sure you can't reset the MPG? I certainly can on my 2001 Avensis VVTi. I simply get to the screen showing MPG then press and hold the 'TRIP' button and presto. Same goes for average speed.

Your figure of 26.8 averaged over 3000 miles does appear to be on the low side. If you're driving round town A/C ontrying to achieve celica performance I think your'e not going to win in the consumption stakes...

Most of my driving is boring motoway stuff 45miles to work then 45miles back again, journey 80% motorway at 70mph............. :yes:

You say the car has been serviced. hope the airfilter is clean and the tire pressures are OK.......

try a mpg computation using the good old fashion method fill her up run the tank divide number of miles by no of gals put in the tank to refill........

Our avensis does (counted on google) around 27 as well.... Well, my mom does the motorway in 90 mph (counted on google ;D ) so maybe thats the problem... It's a 1.8 VVT-i 2001 Avensis Touring.