Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Linux

Carrera_C

I'm thinking about playing about with Linux on one of my PC's. I have looked about and noticed that there a million and one variations and I have no idea which one to choose.

Does anyone have any experience with Linux distributions and can anyone recommend any specific distribution of Linux?

i would recommend Puppy to get you started and decide wether its for you, its free and you dont have to install it on to the hard disk!.

If you like it, then you can go for a full blown linux

Click here

The two I've tried are Fedora (I think this is what used to be RedHat) and Mandrake (this has changed it's name to somthing like "Mandriva" now). Another one to look at is Suse.

That's about all I know I'm afraid, I've only ever used Linux to do a bit of word processing and coding using KDevelop and haven't even worked out how to set up a new user.

Matt beat me to it.

Go for a Live CD rather than a hard disk install......this way you can check it out, have a play but without the commitment.

If you want a full featured distro, then the Knoppix live CD is well featured and reliable.........BUT if you want something smaller, faster, with wizards to set things up,......and the most helpful non-toyota related forum on the internet.......Go for Puppy. it's only a 64meg download too !

( this is the one I first tried, mainly because it has the capability to run entirely off a USB pen, so you can carry your computer around on a keyring. Still got windows on the pc here, but i rarely visit it anymore )

>> Distrowatch << ........... a bit of light reading here, tells you about all the active distros available.

Depends if you have a spare PC lol...

Linux IMHO is a much better O/S than Microsoft depending on what you do, for Office apps it's still not up to scratch but with a bit of tmie it's capabilities are superb. Redhat/Mandrake or very easy to install and setup and theres a lot of online help for new users.

Much better control of your PC and less likely to have viruses etc as well...

If you get your security right a lot lot less likely to get hacked into if you have Broadband as well...

SUSE or Redhat are both very widely used and very easy to install/configure and use.

I'd recommend using one of these for any beginner to linux :thumbsup:

A friend of mine is a real computer geek, he uses linux, i can get you his email, if you want to chat

Ed

I use redhat - its a nice intro version..

but in all honesty, i only use it for software development - i wouldnt put it near a personal PC, or anything i wanted to run Office/Web apps from...

Thanks for the info, I've got hold of a version of Suse, so I'll play with that and see what I think.

Good stuff !

let us know how you get on with it. Suse is probably the closest thing to a commercial distro, so it should be relatively hassle free.

Rich

Well I got it installed easily enough, just feeling my way about it. It's weird going from a system that I'm practicaly an expert at (XP) to something so different....

Well as I always say, the best way to learn about something is to break it, so here I go :D