Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Vvti Alternator Belt

jacko1207

Hi - anybody familiar with changing the long ribbed alternator belt. In the olden days one just undid the alternator and slid it back up to tension. This looks a bit more complicated!! <_<

Far simpler actually although a little fiddly.

All you need is a 19mm ring spanner (I think is the right size), the new belt and preferably a second pair of hands.

Quickly sketch the belt routing for future reference.

Take the ring spanner and you'll see a welded on nut on the side of the belt tensioner. Put the spanner on their and pull it firmly and slowly towards you (will seem pretty stiff)

This will give you enough slack to remove the belt from the small pulley at the end of the tensioner and then you can remove from the other pulleys.

To refit, put the belt on as per your sketchand you should have the loop that you can't fit over the Tensioner pulley. Again pull the tensioner as far as you can and you should be able to pop the loop back over.

Confirm the pulley is on all the belts straight and voila job done

Far simpler actually although a little fiddly.

All you need is a 19mm ring spanner (I think is the right size), the new belt and preferably a second pair of hands.

Quickly sketch the belt routing for future reference.

Take the ring spanner and you'll see a welded on nut on the side of the belt tensioner. Put the spanner on their and pull it firmly and slowly towards you (will seem pretty stiff)

This will give you enough slack to remove the belt from the small pulley at the end of the tensioner and then you can remove from the other pulleys.

To refit, put the belt on as per your sketchand you should have the loop that you can't fit over the Tensioner pulley. Again pull the tensioner as far as you can and you should be able to pop the loop back over.

Confirm the pulley is on all the belts straight and voila job done

Thanks for the help. The only 19mm bolt is on what I assume to be the crankshaft pulley ie tucked away to the lower back of the engine. Is the tensioner the smooth (ie runs on the bacvk of the belt) wheel easly visble just beyon the alternator pulley? If it is that and it has no welded nut i assume I need to lever it towards the front of the car to take off the tension?

Should definately be there.

Take the plastic head cover off and it'll give an easier view. If you face the belt from the side of the car (looking over the front wing) the tensioner unit starts from the top nut of the chain cover. Just below that there's a Black rubber boot and the damper unit is housed in that. Below that is the hinge of the tensioner. Move to the right of that there's a big bolt going throught the centre of the tensioner.

The fixed nut should be next to that

im looking to change my drive belt too, anyone got a diagram of the pulleys and the belt tensioner?? help needed

trhanks

neil

im looking to change my drive belt too, anyone got a diagram of the pulleys and the belt tensioner?? help needed

trhanks

neil

Thanks to Black Knight I have just sorted this job. It is as he describes it. I actually used a three quarters A.F. ring spanner as it was a bit longer than my 19mm. If you measure down from the bottom corner of the rear left side of the black plastic engine cover 13cm you will see the previously described welded on nut. If you pull it towards you it levers the tensioner wheel down the belt can be seen to slacken at the alternator. I unslid it from there and it wriggled it off. it went back on again following the all important diagram in about 5 minutes.

Again many thanks to Black Knight.

• 1 year later...

No problem, glad to be of help :)

Is a Toyota dealer the best / cheapest place to get such a belt ? I tried on eBay and a few jap car part sites and can't seem to find one.