Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Water Leakage

albi969

I hope someone out there can help me with this little problem ,before it becomes a big problem ! . The other week I lifted the carpet in the boot of my 98

lift back gs and noticed that there were water droplets on the tool roll under the board where the jack is stowed.

I think the water is getting in behind the rear light clusters , what I need to know is how do I get the black plastic boot liner out that hides all the inside of the body panels so I can gain access the nearside bottom quarter of the boot and see what is hiding underneath . I also would like to know how would be the best way of solving the problem with the water getting in behind the light clusters, are they easy to remove from the body work ?

On the subject of water , has anyone waxoyled their corolla against the elements ?,and if so what are the most important places to put the evil smelling stuff?.

The other important info I need is where to jack the car up using a trolley jack and axle stands ? The only jacking up of vehicles I have done is emergency lifting of the car using scissor jacks for the smallest amount of time possible.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone might be able to offer

Albi

Sorry, cant help you with your problem but i was wondering if you could explain about that waxoyle stuff you talked about.. a few spots of rust are starting to creep up on me and im desperate to stop them. could this help? cheers..

albi969: The plastic boot panels are held in by a series of different clips, screws and so on. One paticular fixing method you will come across sometimes with Toyota trim is what looks like a 'plug' that you lever up but if you look carefully you will see a little centre in it, with this you press the centre and this springs the outer circle of the plug up so you can lift it out. Others are just 'normal' plugs and you have to lever these up, unfortunately you will damage a couple of these but they are only pence from you local Toyota dealer.

Water leeks...number plate screw? rear wash wipe? rubber boot seal not sitting right? Rubber bung come out from boot floor? ...just some ideas.

Harley GTI-16: Waxoil is a fluid that you inject in box sections/onto floor pan/around knooks and cranies on a car to help hold back where the dreaded rust begins. Years ago people used to use old engine oil brushed onto the undersides to help stop a car from rusting (some people still do...and it does help) a very, very, messy job!

Were to waxoil/rustproof your Corolla ...

All versions of front wheel drive Corolla from 1983 (EE80/AE82) to the 1997 (AE111/EE111) version which finished production in around 2002 are the same in their body construction layout (I dont mean same in bodyshell but same in 'layout' of their build design) so rust proof methods are same for all versions.

Firstly I presume the car has had a good hose down/power wash underneath a few days ago and that the weather has been dry before this operation is carried out!

Starting at the front spray waxoil up underneath the 'Macpherson strut' mounts of the front inner wings (anyone who has or remembers 60's and 70's Fords will know about carroding suspension top mounts). Also try to inject behind plastic liner where it meets front wheel arch. Next spray door pillar area then inside door through drain holes. Whislt lying down remove the rubber bungs in the sills and spray inside there, now get further under the car and spray inside the main chassis rails (also if you wish spray onto floor pan underside if car is not going to be a concours show car!) now moving to the rear spray up in side rear suspension turrets (as per front macpherson mounts) and again if you wish the inner rear wheel arch area. When at the rear of the car inject waxoil into the rear chassis rails after removing the bungs to get to them (alway replace bungs aftwards), finally inject some waxoil into the inside of the tailgate/boot lid (if possible remove the inside trim...easy to do on the AE92 but not so on AE111 models).

Another trick through the passage of time is spray a tiny bit of WD40 on the area where the Bumpers meet the wings by the wheel arch (a well known area of rust for Corollas).

The Toyota Corolla is one of the most mechanically reliable cars of all time it is also one of the most potential rust buckets of all time (espacially when having to live in our damp climate :lol: ).

I hope someone out there can  help me with this little problem ,before it becomes  a big problem ! . The other week I lifted the carpet in the boot of my 98

lift back gs  and noticed that there were water droplets on the tool roll under the board where the jack is stowed.

I think the water is getting in behind the rear light clusters , what I need to know is how do I get the black plastic boot liner out that hides all the inside of the body panels so I can gain access the nearside bottom quarter of the boot and see what is hiding underneath . I also would like to know how would be the best way of solving the problem with the water getting in behind the light clusters, are they easy to remove from the body work ?

On  the subject of water , has anyone  waxoyled their  corolla against the elements ?,and if so what are the most important places to put the evil smelling stuff?.

The other important info I need is where to jack the car up using a trolley jack and axle stands ? The only jacking up of vehicles I have done is emergency lifting of the car using scissor jacks for the smallest amount of time possible.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone might be able to offer

Albi

albi969: The plastic boot panels are held in by a series of different clips, screws and so on. One paticular fixing method you will come across sometimes with Toyota trim is what looks like a 'plug' that you lever up but if you look carefully you will see a little centre in it, with this you press the centre and this springs the outer circle of the plug up so you can lift it out. Others are just 'normal' plugs and you have to lever these up, unfortunately you will damage a couple of these but they are only pence from you local Toyota dealer.

Water leeks...number plate screw? rear wash wipe? rubber boot seal not sitting right? Rubber bung come out from boot floor? ...just some ideas.

Harley GTI-16: Waxoil is a fluid that you inject in box sections/onto floor pan/around knooks and cranies on a car to help hold back where the dreaded rust begins. Years ago people used to use old engine oil brushed onto the undersides to help stop a car from rusting (some people still do...and it does help) a very, very, messy job!

Were to waxoil/rustproof your Corolla ...

All versions of front wheel drive Corolla from 1983 (EE80/AE82) to the 1997 (AE111/EE111) version which finished production in around 2002 are the same in their body construction layout (I dont mean same in bodyshell but same in 'layout' of their build design) so rust proof methods are same for all versions.

Firstly I presume the car has had a good hose down/power wash underneath a few days ago and that the weather has been dry before this operation is carried out!

Starting at the front spray waxoil up underneath the 'Macpherson strut' mounts of the front inner wings (anyone who has or remembers 60's and 70's Fords will know about carroding suspension top mounts). Also try to inject behind plastic liner where it meets front wheel arch. Next spray door pillar area then inside door through drain holes. Whislt lying down remove  the rubber bungs in the sills and spray inside there, now get further under the car and spray inside the main chassis rails (also if you wish spray onto floor pan underside if car is not going to be a concours show car!) now moving to the rear spray up in side rear suspension turrets (as per front macpherson mounts) and again if you wish the inner rear wheel arch area. When at the rear of the car inject waxoil into the rear chassis rails after removing the bungs to get to them (alway replace bungs aftwards), finally inject some waxoil into the inside of the tailgate/boot lid (if possible remove the inside trim...easy to do on the AE92 but not so on AE111 models).

Another trick through the passage of time is spray a tiny bit of WD40 on the area where the Bumpers meet the wings by the wheel arch (a well known area of rust for Corollas).

The Toyota Corolla is one of the most mechanically reliable cars of all time it is also one of the most potential rust buckets of all time (espacially when having to live in our damp climate :lol: ).

Hello Twin cam,

Is there a particular order in which i remove the panels as they seem to sit under the speaker grilles under the quarter lights , and i dont want to break 'owt ie do i have to remove the plastic panel in which the seat belt clasp stows away

in that little slot thingy to keep it neat and tidy when not in use.

Cheers Albi

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links