Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Over Heat

m4rk scotland

noticed this l;ast night was just siting idle waiting for a friend and the temp gauge went up to 80% ish of the max, switched off quickly then drove home afterwards.

drove to work this morning and it started going up again. stupidly loosened the coolant cap while hot (i manged to avoid burning myself) and it was a very murky yellow ming colour. anyway didnt want to risk it so called the AA. we noticed the valve at the radiator was dripping a wee bit of coolant, 1 drip every 10 or so seconds.. he said he put in 2 litres of liquid into the system and ran the engine. the temp didnt move and we left it ticking over and reving for a good 30 mins in the baking sun.

he followed me to a toyota garage which was 15 miles away (no probs on the journey temp stayed normal.

now my question is have i had a lucky escape and just need new coolant or is the headgasket on the way out. do they just suddenly go.

get the word back from toyota tommorrow but i trust you guys more, lol.

ta

If the liquid looked like a milk shake, sort of frothy and stayed that way , it could be emulsified oil in the water (not a good sign).

If it was just a manky colour you might be lucky and it was just the effect of boiling water and antifreeze. :thumbsup:

its ok mate. mine did this a while back. needed a new radiator fitting and it lost most of its water, slight smoke from the back so i pulled over, turned it off and called for it picking up. no damage what so ever to the engine but it could have been bad if i kept on driving :(

Mine has done this also.

Lost a little water some where, and started overheating

No mayonaise in the water, so thats a good sign, topped up, and has been fine since ! - must have a small leak somewhere

i had this in my primera, i know its a different car but principle is the same, did EXACTLY as you described, ran fine after but seemed t go burn oil, then it got crashed into

to cut a long story short its fine!! so happy, and big shout for western toyota of edinburgh for charging me nothing!!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links