Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Corolla Diesel

Demonic Angel

Me and my other half are considering buying a new car to replace his 206 - naturally, I suggested a Toyota and a Corolla, being larger than my Yaris, seems the best bet.

He wants a Diesel (he travels about 80 miles a day and is spending a fortune currently on petrol) and we looked on Autotrader for Diesel Corollas and there are about 4 in the whole country according to them!

Surely thats not right!

We're looking to P/X his 206 (worth about 4k) for a straight swap (looking for 1999-2001 model). Are we just pricing too low for a Diesel or were they seriously lacking in those years?

I think they tried using a bought in Peugeot diesel in that one and it was a complete dog hence they sold about 3 throughout Europe

Black Knight Posted Yesterday, 08:28 PM

I think they tried using a bought in Peugeot diesel in that one and it was a complete dog hence they sold about 3 throughout Europe

Demonic Angel-

Black Knight is correct in the 90's Toyota Corolla used a bought in diesel engine from Peugeot and it was RUBBISH!

The father of an ex Girl Friend had a '96 Corolla Diesel (bought Corollas for decades but this was his first diesel) and the engine expired at around 60,000 mile and he looked after/serviced the car!

So I would say that something to the value of £4,000 is more than enough.

I do believe later Corolla Diesels use their own (Toyota engine) and there ain't no problems.

What on earth were a firm like Toyota playing at by doing business with Peugeot!

dont know if any of u's saw 'pulling power' on itv last nite, they showed the latest diesel range toyota car, D-CAT or something and it suppose to be the best diesel engines EVER made!! they showed a diesel estate, and with that D CAT engine it was cappable of doing 137 mph!! :eek: thats madness!! it did 46 mpg which is damn good for the size of the car apparently. cant remember when its out though...

What on earth were a firm like Toyota playing at by doing business with Peugeot!

I do wonder - we've had countless problems with his 206, one of the main reasons has changing really - and I suggested Toyota because I've had 2 Yaris' and they've been brilliant.

Hmm - might have to scrap the Corolla plan then if they dont have a half decent diesel engine - I mean we really like the new shape Corolla and I know the D4D engines are great, but he cant afford one of those right now. :(

Me and my other half are considering buying a new car to replace his 206 - naturally, I suggested a Toyota and a Corolla, being larger than my Yaris, seems the best bet.

He wants a Diesel (he travels about 80 miles a day and is spending a fortune currently on petrol) and we looked on Autotrader for Diesel Corollas and there are about 4 in the whole country according to them!

Surely thats not right!

We're looking to P/X his 206 (worth about 4k) for a straight swap (looking for 1999-2001 model). Are we just pricing too low for a Diesel or were they seriously lacking in those years?

Wow, I was reading this and though 'That sounds like my situtaion'! That's cos it's about me!!! :D Maybe I should look at the posters name before actually reading the post.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm on my second Corolla diesel & have had no problems with either. The first was a 93-K ex-Toyota demo car that was recently sold with 173K on the clock. In that time it cost me a water pump (slight leak), caliper (sticking) & sump (weeping), other than that just routine servicing.

The new one is an R reg with low 50's on the clock - no problems to report (touch wood).

I'm unaware of a partnership with Peugeot on these cars - my sister has a Peugeot Diesel & the engine is totally different from the Toyota lump.

I'd recommend one to anyone - its never going to be the fastest thing on the road, but for ecomony & reliability you can't touch them - I do 70+ miles a day & return high 50's mpg - look around & buy an older one with low milage, there's some out there if you search.

:yes:

Well from what i've gatered the relationship between toyota and Peugeot has started again with the joint project the aygo a car built by toyota and psa (peugeot and citreon) and top top things off there going be using a 1.4 hdi unit thats peugeot/citreon looks like toyota are suppling a good little 1.0 vvt-i which is bound to boost peugeots and citreon reliablity record where has toyotas is goning to be brought down by using peugeot/citreon diesels.

Just hope that the rest of the toyota range keeps with there d4-d and d-cat diesels if the new 2.2 in the avensis is anything to go by 150bhp and a 180 bhp available in 2006, we should be gettin offerd some good perfromace diesels in the corolla line up.

Off subject a bit but i thought toyota would be once bitten twice shy.