Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hello And A Question

BethMR2

Hi All,

Got my MR2 recently, and boy is she lovely! 12 years old but in stunning condition apart from one thing.... the clutch.

Now when I bought her the guy told me she had a sticky clutch sometimes, but it was new (only done about 2k miles, he didnt drive her much). Now I have been driving her around a lot and was having problems with selecting gears... mainly in the lower gears, but also occasionally coming down the box.

So... I bled the clutch... and the stuff that came out was black (naaasty) also had lots of air in it... this seemed to allieviate the problem a little...

yesterday I bled it again... more air comes out... and also adjusted the bite point... so it isnt quite on the floor... but its still very very low :huh:

This has also improved it a little... however... doing maneuvering in 1st or reverse is a real pain in the behind...

If I have my foot completely on the floor... and put her in gear.. she will sit there for a bit... but then.. after a little while (usually not long) its as if I am taking my foot off the clutch, but I'm not.... she is doing it... and there is nothing I can do as my foot is to the floor... so I have to yank her out of gear quick before she stalls :(

Similar situ in reverse...

I will keep bleeding the system... but im not sure this is the answer... i have been told it might be the master cylinder? are these easy to fix? or replace? if so how much is it gonna cost me? will this solve my problems?

She is a stunner of a car, and this is the only thing i have found wrong with her.

Please help :help:

Thank you! (PS sorry for long essay!)

sounds like it hasnt had a clutch to me coz thats exactly what mine was doing when i got it, anyways i had a new clutch and now its fine but boy was old one goosed it was well well worn

The bite point is now adjusted as high as it can go (without it falling apart :P)but its still very low..... if this was an old worn clutch the bite point would be really high....wouldnt it?.... and it isnt...

The clutch also doesnt slip at all under accel or anything... it just drags when it should be completely disengaged...

most odd... well I have ordered a new master cylinder, as almost everywhere else i have read they seem to think this is the problem... and then the thread goes quiet.. so i am hoping they sorted the problem!

Wish me luck! :P

Hi Tegan,

Not got any yet, am borrowing a digital camera as soon as I can!

I'll try to bring her to a meet soon though!

Thanks for wishing me luck... I'll let you know how it goes :hokus-pokus:

You should bring it along to JAE if its not to short notice -throw you in at the deep end and meet all the club members in one day :lol:

You probably wont come again :ph34r::lol:

*jokes* :P

The bite point is now adjusted as high as it can go (without it falling apart :P)but its still very low..... if this was an old worn clutch the bite point would be really high....wouldnt it?.... and it isnt...

The clutch also doesnt slip at all under accel or anything... it just drags when it should be completely disengaged...

most odd... well I have ordered a new master cylinder, as almost everywhere else i have read they seem to think this is the problem... and then the thread goes quiet.. so i am hoping they sorted the problem!

Wish me luck! :P

Hi,

sounds like you've got a leak somewhere. It could be the master cylinder but its probably worth having a look at the slave cylinder too. In my experiance if you only change one cylinder the other one goes shortly after. There's probably no need to change the whole cylinder, just change the seals.

Hi Bobby,

i had a look at the Slave cylinder too, ther eis no reservoir there, so I would assume (please correct if im wrong) that if there was a leak there it would be wet with hydraulic fluid.....and it wasnt.... but i shall definately keep an eye on it.

Am probably going to fit the new Master Cylinder on Monday, fingers crossed.

I agree Beth, it sounds very much like the master cylinder seals to me. I had the same thing on an old Triumph. If you get someone to hold the clutch pedal down while watching the release arm, you could see the arm return to the clutch out position very slowly.

Well guys n girls... I said I would keep you posted.

New master cylinder got fitted today, and she runs like a dream! Its almost like she is a new car :P

hi beth you prob dont know me im new on here but hi anyway, ive got a rev1 turbo and my clutch did the same, as if it was sucking it back to the bottom. i had the master clutch cylinder replaced and its nob on now better than when i bought it. i went to the local toyota dealer and it was 149 ponds inc vat.

It was so strange, how much of a difference it has made, runs so much better now!

that isnt bad for a Toyota dealer either! I bought the part and me and a mate fitted it... so save don costs that way, but end result is the same :thumbsup:

i know when mine was sorted it was like a new car, it was far better than when i bought it