Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Those Plastic Protector Thingies

Caz SR

Hi all,

I've read about this problem before, but was wondering if anyone had since found a good way of getting rid of wax deposits from the edge of the rear clear protectors? It's driving me up the wall and yes I've had "Ohh that's a nasty scratch" before grrr.

Is there some kind of magic substance that will shift it?

Cheers!

Caz.

i know what u mean i get them at the bass of window on that bit when im not paying attention when waxing bonnet or on mirror base, water should get them off and some form of brush or spounge!

Hi all,

I've read about this problem before, but was wondering if anyone had since found a good way of getting rid of wax deposits from the edge of the rear clear protectors? It's driving me up the wall and yes I've had "Ohh that's a nasty scratch" before grrr.

Is there some kind of magic substance that will shift it?

Cheers!

Caz.

you could get a screwdriver with a small end, and cover it with a fabric and go round it. I did that for the stone reflectors on my t sport!

:thumbsup:

i usually just go round them with my nails... annoying as frig especially when someone says its a scratch

ok i didnt read ur post properly

been a long day :lol: so completly ignore what i just said

but yea, possibly ur nail, depending on how long or sharp!! possibly a ear bud, a damp one ?? who knows ill let u know later ill have a go myself as i plan on cleaning her tonight

i usually just go round them with my nails... annoying as frig especially when someone says its a scratch

err no :P , coz then you get that horrible chalkign feeling on your fingers!

I usually wrap my thumb in a good micro fibre cloth and then go round it with the nail. That should protect you from any waxy residue under your nails! :D

:thumbsup:

I know the bits you mean, and have no idea why they're there. They look ugly!

To protect the car from stone chips.. that area gets a few hits due to the shape of the car.

God knows the best way to clean the excess polish off though.. i don't think i got that problem, i make sure it comes off when polishing it. (i use one of those little round applicator pads you get with mcguiars)

Cheers everyone - I'll attack them a bit later. It was my own silly mistake when I first cleaned the car... waxed all over and forgot about the protectors DOH!! :thumbsup:

I used to get "is that a scratch?" comments all the time about the stone deflectors on the T3, but where the Blue is lighter we don't get them thankfully.

I dont even have a clue what they are! :lol::rolleyes:

Can anyone explain? (just had my hair coloured lighter - perhaps thats the problem? lol)

Hehe. They're clear plastic stickers just by the back wheels to prevent stone chips / scrapes damaging the paintwork. I don't really like them but after having an encounter with a Hilux Surf a few months ago I can see why they are there! (Very embarassing, but at least the incident didn't damage my paintwork and the Hilux was A OK.)

A cloth with a little tyre back to black sprayed on it should do the trick.

Yeah those protectors do their job really well. Because everytime i clean the car i find lodes of tar spots on them, and if they werent there they'd be on my lovely paintwork! :angry:

So ... good job they're there .. ! :D

When i was waxing on sunday i had a brain wave. :yes:

Maybe if you apply the polish/ wax in the direction of the plastic. Cant really explain. :wacko:

Dont brush across the edges but along them. Know what i mean?

Very good suggestions - thanks! I was a bit wary of using a nail or anything sharp covered in cloth... knowing me I'll botch it and voila - a *real* scratch :D

The Back to Black sounds like a plan. I'll try it tonight.

Cheers guys and girls.

Mr T is about to replace mine (under warranty), also the little bit at the back of the passenger door.

To get rid of this annoying little problem try this:

Finger nail with damp cloth, then a cotton bud with some meths on. Easy peasy!

Use your nails wrapped in a bit of cloth (Autoglym microfibre cloth). If you use any cleaning spirit and it gets onto the paintwork - you're gonna remove the wax/protectant on the paintwork and completely strip it of protecting qualities.

And definately keep them on there - I had a Fiesta Zetec-S before the Celica and it picked up sh*t loads of scratches in front of the rear wheel arch.

If you think the protector strips are strangely shaped on the three door by the way, you really should check out those on the five door! :yes: Very odd!

Did you have any success with the back to black? I find that sort of stuff is also great for getting wax marks off the black plastic 'bits' around the car. Not that I've got much on this one (aerial mount and hatch lock surround is about it) but remember I had black bumper and door protectors on 'Baby' and they were a sod when wax got ingrained into them! :eek: