Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Computer Help

bhinderharminder

Hi,

ive just installed a new motherboard and hdd, ive told the pc to boot from cd and it dose that ok.

Once t loads xp pro from the cd it freezes when it says windows is now loading setup(in the blue screen).

dose anyone know what the problem is??

its windows xp pro with sp1 - ive used this windows cd many times without any problems.

thanks

When your system starts, go into the BIOS and use the option to 'set fail-safe defaults'. That resets all the BIOS settings to their most stable. Sometimes when you're having issues with a system before you even get booted into the OS, doing that can fix the issue. Then you can go into the BIOS afterwards and set all your options one by one untill you find the one that's cauaing problems.

Also, whilst in there, check your systems temperatures in the PC Health section.

Make sure the CPU or system isn't overheating, as that can cause lock-ups too.

Actually, come to think of it, before you even do any of that, since this is a new motherboard, use the CMOS jumper on the board to clear the BIOS first, then load the Fail-Safe defaults.

If the board doesn't have the jumper, remove the CMOS Battery for an hour or so with the system unplugged from the wall, untill the charge stored in it dissapates enough that the BIOS is cleared.

Actually, come to think of it, before you even do any of that, since this is a new motherboard, use the CMOS jumper on the board to clear the BIOS first, then load the Fail-Safe defaults.

If the board doesn't have the jumper, remove the CMOS battery for an hour or so with the system unplugged from the wall, untill the charge stored in it dissapates enough that the BIOS is cleared.

i tryed the bios setting, setting them to fail-safe, did not solve the problem, now will take out the Battery and let you know if it works.

thanks

It shouldn't be the CMOS because your getting too far for that. I reckon it is most likely the psu.

What type of processor have you put in? What was in before? What wattage is your PSU? Try unplugging anything which is not needed to reduce power load. Lots of people have this problem when they use the same case as there old PC but put in an AMD processor which draws loads of current from the 12V line when under load. It only uses the one line so some cheap power supplies don't run them well. It also doesn't get under lots of load until it gets into Windows then it starts thinking too much.

If any of the above is right you will need atleast a 400W PSU, but not a cheap one!

It shouldn't be the CMOS because your getting too far for that. I reckon it is most likely the psu.

:yes:

My money would be on the psu. What add-in cards (pci) do you have?

:yes:

My money would be on the psu. What add-in cards (pci) do you have?

got an amd athalon xp 2.8xp cpu, power supply is a 300watt(its not one of thoes cheep-o-nasty psu's), only have cd/cdrw and graphics card plugged in. the psu worked fine before i changed my m/board and hdd?