Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Diagnostic Symbol

cdqm

Hi,

When I start the engine on my Toyota Carina E (1996), the small engine sign on the dashboard remains ON. It stays on for about 5 mins then goes OFF. I know the car manual says that I have to take the car to a Toyota Dealer.

Does anyone know what can cause this to happen, please? I am worried that I may be charged too much for a simple job by the dealer.

Thanks in advance for your help and advice

CDQM

There is every chance that you could check for yourself. There should be a diagnostic plug (the one the dealer will use) If you find it and connect two terminals together (TE1 and E1)with a short piece of wire or even a straightened out paper clip, then when you turn on the ignition the check engine light will flash on and off in a sequence. Make a note of the sequence and you can find out what fault is causing the light to come on.

Check this site for more details

http://www.off-road.com/toyota/tech/codes/

When i had my Carina E. i got this problem too.. got it checked out by the mechanic at work, turned out to be the Lambda sensor. I phoned Mr.T to get a quote, and was told there were 2 types, a normal one, and a platinum one.... gues what one mine was.. yep, 300 quid platinum one.

Unplugged the top connector, gave it a clean and a spray with WD40, and all was fine again.

BUT.. get it checked, could be anything.

Thanks for your advice and replies, guys – very helpful. I’ve done the diagnostics using a paperclip and I’m getting code 21. Looks like it’s the O2 (Lambda) sensor. A new one costs £250 which I don’t really want to depart with. Would there be another option?

The car is running smoothly and all seem fine. If I ignore the ‘check engine’ sign, would I risk causing any damage to other parts in the engine or would the car start ‘missing’?

Kind regards

CDQM