Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Computer Bods Please

gordypix

My laptop has all but frozen stiff and I want to delete the hard drive junk and get it running again.

How do I completely clear and format my 5 year old laptop with a view to getting it running again.

I have a new computer (all singing and dancing) but need the laptop working for other stuff.

Boot from a disc.. or to DOS (depending on laptop) prolly the former... and either repair... or reformat...

you will need a windows bootable CD... or windows boot disc/discs(2k)

failing that...insert new HDD and begin again

thats just off top of my head.. and its hot.. ive prolly missed out loads :P

What OS is it, and do you have the 'original' media?

Should just be a case of putting in your OS CD, and booting off it. Going through the text portion of the setup theres bits and bobs about how you want to use your HDD - from there you can re-format your HDD, and start all over again. Difficult to tell you exact details without knowing what OS you are going to put on it, and how bothered you are about the data already on your laptop...

It came with Windows 98 back in the year 2000.

But I then upgraded the OS to Windows XP last year.

I don't need any of the data as it has all been transfered but I just want to get it working properly once more.

There's a file form Maxtor that can write the disks to zero's.

When you re-format a HDD, it will usuaully retain some data, meaning that some of the HDD can't be used next time round.

The Maxtor program can eradicate this, and wipe it clean.

However, I can't remember the name of it....

The 'ghost' data that's left over after a format is negligable. You won't miss it.

Just set the BIOS to boot from the CD Drive, shove in the XP CD, follow the usual stuff and when it asks you - format the hard drive and perform a fresh install.