Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rav4 Tyres

Uncle Bob

AMH had a great idea for Rav4 owners, tell us about your tyres.....

- Vehicle info. - 3 or 5 dr / petrol / diesel

- Tyre make

- Tyre size

- Mileage completed on them (either at time of post or life of tyre)

- Subjective notes on on-road performance - noise / dry grip / wet grip / on road

- Subjective notes on off-road performance - experiences if any !

As for me, 2004, Rav4 3 door auto,

Make....Bridgestone Dueler 687

Size....... 235/60/16

Vehicle has done 13K so far, rear tread is 5-6 mm, fronts down to about 4mm,

Have no problem with road noise, had a Lexus is200 before so i know a quiet car when i drive one :) ,and find the Rav4 also very quiet :thumbsup:

Rav4 XT4, 5 door, manual, registered March 2004

Make..................Bridgestone Dueler 687 :thumbsup:

Size...................235/60/16

Milage................19,500

Tread.................4 to 5 mm left all round

Road noise.........mininmal

Handling............excellent, both on dry/wet roads and with very light off roading. Not bad in snow either, but I did find out how good the VSC and TC are :eek: - very impressed. :D

Not exactly an original idea (nicked from LOC !) but seemed a good idea.

Mine is a 5dr 2004 Granite - petrol - manual

On Pirelli Scorpian STR's

235/55 x 17

Done 13,000 miles

(7,500m as demo car rest by me)

Tyres are at 6mm all round currently which seems good to me

(Previous Lexus IS200 Bridgestones only lasted me 10 - 12k all round !)

Noise seems well controlled - though I have sound proofed the car.

Dry grip is incredible - not had the bottle to find the limit so far.

Wet grip good - not skidded yet and no ABS activation felt so far.

Off road - well wet grass anyway - they grip really well.

Only issue I had was balancing - sorted by WKB (Toyota Main Dealer) in the end.

Looking around (during my balancing problems - took several weeks to sort !) there are not many makes in the 235/55 x 17 size - I would like to try a more road biased tyre next time - though these look good and perform very well - especially the low wear after the Lex experience.

Hey - that turned into a long post - hope it was not too boring :lol:

5dr 2005 Granite - petrol - manual

Pirelli Scorpian STR's

235/55 x 17

Only done 2,000 miles so too early to measure wear (still got the "hairy" bits ;) )

Noise/comfort seems okay - but I've been used to a far sporty motor so am really enjoying the overall damping from road imperfections. (The spare looks good on the back though :thumbsup:

Grip in both wet (not had too much of that yet!) and dry seems okay, but I've not pushed it yet - Again, getting used to the roll and lesser cornering capabilities over previous car.

I've also noticed that there don't seem to be many makes in the 235/55 x 17 size - And at the prices I've seen, I'm not looking forward to having to replace them :wacko:

Hi peeps!

I've got Yokohama Geolandar H/T, 235 60 R16.

On a 1998 Rav 4 VX 5 door, with 95K on the clock.

This is my first Rav, so can only comment on these. The grip isn't bad at all in the dry, but wet driving is a little prone to over steer (back end coming out). I suppose the car is no worse than my previous volkswagen passat which is quite an achievement for such a high car!

However, big negative point is the road noise. It's terrible on anything other than brand new surfaces (which are few and far between in the midlands).

I'm personally after tyres with an on road tread. Was talking to the guys at landrover the other day (I work for Jaguar/Landrover) and they were commenting on how good the road only tyres are like fitted to the new rangerover sport.

Let's face it, how many people actually go off road in these? The most I will be doing is grass with a caravan on the back!!

I'll stop going on now...

Rav4 NRG, 3 door, manual, registered September 2002

Make..................Michelin Synchrone 4x4

Size...................235/60/16

Milage................<1000m

Tread.................maximum

Road noise.........mininmal (quieter than the previous Bridgestones)

Handling............no complaints but little mileage

Replaced the worn and noisy Duelers with these just 2 weeks ago. A little too soon to make any judgement but definitely quieter and better handling than the (admittedly worn) Bridgestones.

• 2 weeks later...

There must be a few more Rav4 owners on here??

:thumbsup:

I have 2000 (X) Petrol 5dr GX. I 've only had it for a few months, so really a bit soon to comment on tyre wear/performance.

But, anyway - I have Pirelli Scorpions on the front and Dunlop Grandtrek at the rear (dealer fitted these, even though I asked them to match the scorpions).

All I can say is I've had Suzuki Jimny's for the previous 6 years and absolutely hated the Bridgeston Duellers fitted as standard. The RAV4 hangs in there way past where the Jimny would let go. I managed to push the RAV on a muddy roundabout, but it only lost grip on 1 wheel, the other 3 just gripped and I carried on my way - excellent!

Mal

I will post some proper tyre details when I get chance.

HI, Im new to the furum, and new to toyota!!! But im lovin every minute of my mk1 rav4...anyway i have Goodyear Wranglers fitted all round, they are very good, road noise isnt bad and they seem to have good road holding and cope with everything ive thrown at them so far. :thumbsup:

Andi

HI, Im new to the furum, and new to toyota!!! But im lovin every minute of my mk1 rav4...anyway i have Goodyear Wranglers fitted all round, they are very good, road noise isnt bad and they seem to have good road holding and cope with everything ive thrown at them so far. :thumbsup:

Andi

Hi Andi , and welcome to the Rav4 section of the TOC :) , hope you're enjoying the club and your Rav4 :thumbsup: .

Hi,

I run my Rav4 XT3 vvt-i 5-door in deep blue on Bridgestone Duelers and find them a bit noisy on any but the best road surfaces.

As my offroading will only be on grass caravan sites perhaps a pure road tyre might be quieter, the Michelin Synchrone as suggested by another member might be worth a try. Any idea on costs?

As far as a RAV4 only forum is concerened, great idea.

Cheers.

Rogerrav.

Going by the mytyres.co.uk research, the Hankook Optimo K406, is a very quite tyre, just depends if your a brand name junkie.

I had the very same set of tyre on my last VW T4 transporter van, good but not as quite as the original set of Continentals :) .

Hankook...

K-406.jpg

Any idea on costs?

I had a set of 4 inc. fitting, balancing and 4WD alignment for just over £400. That was at Headley tyres (near to M4 Newbury). To give you some idea, they were around £20 each more expensive than Bridgestone Duellers. I've done around 2K on them so far and am very happy with performance and road noise. :)

FYI, I can recommend Headley tyres who are as competitive, or moreso, than the better known Micheldever tyres nearby.

Andy