Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Glass Headlights

Stu8

Hi, Does anyone know on here of a good (cheap'ish) place to buy Glass Healights for the soop.

As the plastics ones have gone yellow and just generally look pants...

I've tried 24/7 spares and there asking £300+ :unsure:

Thanks in advance.

Stu.

The glass ones are a lot heavier than the plastic ones. Are you sure you wouldnt rather just get new plastic ones? :)

I've got both a uk spec auto and a jdm manual now and the import is soooooooo much lighter than the uk car. Its really a big difference :yes:

I've got both a uk spec auto and a jdm manual now and the import is soooooooo much lighter than the uk car. Its really a big difference :yes:

Leeky goes to the dark side, next you'll be saying that the UK spec and Jap spec have same power outputs.

:!Removed!:

:lol: No no no, the uk spec will always have 326bhp and the import will have 280bhp :thumbsup: Or rather my import has 225bhp being an n/a ;)

But saying that it is still an amazingly fast car, im pretty sure my manual n/a could beat my uk tt auto off the line :wacko: Its just soooo light!

Especially since i've stripped most of it out :thumbsup:

Oh an Stu8 - why not try cleaning your headlights. There's some instructions here...

From personal experience I'd say 6 hours labour, which has got to be better thn spending £300 on a set of lights.

just bung a couple of extra large goldfish bowls in there.. no one will notice the difference. ;)

Yet another Class Adi post!!!!

We bow down to you :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

don't forget the j-spec tt only has "280bhp" on paper due to the jap manufacturer agreements

everyone knows if you dyno a standard j-spec they usually make over 300bhp :) but slighly less than a uk-spec mostly due to the different cams, some hks cams soon sort that and make a suprisingly cheap upgrade :)

oh, also I just remembered that somewhere, think it might be on www.mkiv.com there is an article on how to take the plastic headlghts appart and clean them, they will look as good as new :)

Actually you're right, for some reason I thought the hks cams were cheap, I think the price I saw was just for fitting lol, ooops,

anyway as this link says, http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=38387 the power difference is small (if any) and the j-spec faster spooling turbos make it quite appealing when comparing the standard spec cars,

L

So you lot think i should clean up the original ones. :sean:

since when has Stu had a soop? :o

I said late last year that I was looking for a Soop, but I wanted to keep the MR2 for Nurburg as i knew i could trust on it getting me there (and back) :arrgg-matey:

I've got my keen eyes on three soops at the moment all j-spec and in standard form.

One is Face lift model which is an auto

One Aero Top and One Manual. B)

Out of the three the manual feels the quickest but the the auto's are a doodle to drive;

so i'm just umm'ing and ahh'ing which one to get. :bookworm:

The only problem is that all of them have yellow (clouded) headlights which just makes the car look old and tacky. :cacker:

HKS? Cheap?

HKS? Cheap?

HKS? Cheap???

nope still doesn't sound right!!

Deffently not cheap but a good quality piece of kit all the same :thumbsup:

Stu... try the Toyota imports forum.

The forum was formed when the owner of the lexus soarer owners club did away with the forum, and they all rejoined elsewhere..

The soarers had the same type of headlights (allbe it much smaller) and suffered the same problem. apparently 90% of the oxidisation that causes the yelloyness is on the outside, they devsised some kind of solvent that burnt it off, leaving them looking clean and new!!!!!

AS for HKS kit.. its all very nice.. a *tad* over priced, but very nice all the same... shame they have the problem with the hyper exhaust rusting apart, and some of their vernier cam gears wearing out and slicing through cam belts!!!

Still I don't think you can beat HKS or Blitz parts... although JUN and Apex'i do soem nice alternatives :)

• 4 weeks later...
Oh an Stu8 - why not try cleaning your headlights.  There's some instructions here...

From personal experience I'd say 6 hours labour, which has got to be better thn spending £300 on a set of lights.

I've read this guide a few times, and am thinking of giving it a shot this weekend... Yes, my soop suffers from yellow-eye syndrome too.

After reading the guide, I've tried to grab hold of the plastic cleaners it mentions:

Novus

Plexus

So far i've managed to snag a Novus cleaner off eBay, but haven't found any Plexus plastic cleaner as yet. This stuff probably hasn't left Sunny SoCal and graced our shores just yet, but I am wondering if anyone has managed to get it.

Also, has anyone actually managed to clean their headlights using the above procedure? Any extra tips and suitable substitutes for UK peepz would be great.

Thanks!

OK, after a little research I found another site (by an Aussie) detailing the headlight cleaning process.

It can be found here

One of the main points is to make sure not to apply plastic cleaner on the interior chrome rings if the headlights are the newer '98 model, otherwise they will corrode.

Also, the cleaning products used in this guide are by Meguiars which can be purchased from ur local Halfrauds.

Only need to get some 2000grit paper and Silcone Sealant, then Im good to go.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links